Kick It Out - what do you know about them ?

Interviewed Danny Lynch from Kick It Out (footballs anti-racism organisation) before the Leeds United game

He told me a bit about the Kick It Out campaign and organisation and it left me shocked

Before I tell you why - tell me what you know about them (don't cheat and look at Wikipedia etc)

You might be surprised....

Owlstalk Shop

Don't they only have about 7 staff and receive funding of around £300k a year from all the authorities to kick the racism out? Not really much they can do I bet.

Yeah !

They only have SIX staff !

SIX !

To kick out the racism and tackle it in this country they have SIX staff

It's a charity with six staff - with NO decision making powers and NO say on any sanctions/punishments etc

All they can do is raise awareness, with minimal funding and just six staff to do it

Makes you wonder exactly how serious football (in general) was at wanting to kick racism out of football doesn't it....

Owlstalk Shop

Yeah !

They only have SIX staff !

SIX !

To kick out the racism and tackle it in this country they have SIX staff

It's a charity with six staff - with NO decision making powers and NO say on any sanctions/punishments etc

All they can do is raise awareness, with minimal funding and just six staff to do it

Makes you wonder exactly how serious football (in general) was at wanting to kick racism out of football doesn't it....

I touch on it in this piece which is more to do with how the media are getting it wrong regards racism in football.

http://bitly.com/X3uhOq

I do say in it that Kick It Out is a soft target and that there needs to be a concerted effort to get bodies with punitive power to impose tough sanctions on clubs for this kind of thing.

What I know is as per the above.

I really feel that (sadly) the profile for this has only been raised by the high profile incidents that have occurred recently within this country and also on the continent during the course of the past 12 months with not enough done to show a complete zero tolerance towards any level of racism on any level.

I've never shared the notion that 'soft' racism is acceptable on any scale and only severe punishment should be served if any form of racist language or act is demonstrated. During my time watching football I have only ever been witness to 1 act of racism at any game home or away and it was widely rounded on by the supporters who were there at the time.

The kick it out organisation has really only become more noticeable to the public over the course of the last few weeks owing to high profile players refusing to wear the shirts provided by the group.....this to me shows more of a sign of the world we live in and how the press will chase a story of this nature rather than recognising the core values of an organisation seeking to eradicate all racism/bigotry.

The Football Association do not do anywhere near enough and in fact do more damage than good, especially when you consider the complete farce that ensued over the fact John Terry was not taken to task until 12 months after an allegation was made and for the fact he was allowed to represent his country at the same time.....completely the wrong decision and message to send out.

...I think the problem, aside from the authorities, is that a lot of racism and homophobia is 'hidden' by a still large minority of fans behind the excuse of 'terrace banter'

The only way that culture can be driven out of football is by clubs, players and supporters all taking an active part in isolating and if necessary banning those people who engage in it at every level of football. Kick It Out, even with more staff and greater funding couldn't do it alone.

If they get so little funding and Rio is as bothered as is making out to be (which I doubt tbh, think its all about me me me with him) then why Doesn't he donate a few months wages seeing as he will barely miss it and its such a good cause?

Its just another bandwagon at the moment and there needs to be some context, not sure about Terry and suarez but I would bet every penny I have Clattenberg never said what he is being accused of.

There's far worse things being said and done in football every week than the above incidents,just ask our Manager

Unfortunately a lot of ppl confuse racism with ignorance and the need to offend. Although it's not right in any shape or form, racist language is most often used to get a reaction or to offend. It is most often used in the same way that any other kind of abuse is. A true racist wouldn't accept or support any minority at all. It wouldn't matter whether the player played for us or the opposition, a racist would not tolerate them. Like I said it doesn't excuse it or make it acceptable's but it does ask the question that if it is used as an attempt to upset or get a reaction then what makes it worse than a lot of other abuse that gets used on the terraces. I've encountered true racists from all backgrounds and believe me, it's not the white mans desease as the media and some groups would have you believe. I was never allowed in my friends house as a kid because I was white and my wifes friends children have been disowned by their fathers family because they are half white. I have also encountered ppl who won't eat anything that isn't english or buy anything that isn't English. It just shows how deep racism goes in all walks of life

Edited by Blueblood