Back to the football, how about a striker?

Thank God- I had to ask because it was only about 2-3 weeks ago that there was a long thread about people wanting Kirkland dropped for Bywater.

First name on the team sheet for me- he looks an excellent goalkeeper and terrific business on a free provided he stays clear of injuries.

I don't think his ability was questioned tho, it was more about organising the defence

Depends what you mean by 'effective'

holds the ball up, brings others in, that turn he does which deceives the defender, gets in good positions

not saying madine doesn't do a few of them things, but for me not as effective and usually ends up on his backside

Edited by FreshOwl

Love this comment

It's thrown about as thought it's true by people who haven't actually seen it happen but are just repeating what a few others have said (usually COG/Rodri lovers)

i've seen it happen on NUMEROUS occasions

I agree with you, COG is the best we have at holding the ball up, though not as good as Deon used to be, but is that really the extent of our ambitions as far as strikers go?

which is why I'm saying bring in rodri alongside him, who is no doubt a cultured player and I assume a good finisher

My observations on Friday were that Barkley, Bothroyd and Corry were happy to play the ball amongst each other and then look to work the ball into the danger area. Fine, COG would try and hold the ball up waiting to bring others into play. Big problem. The only player who ever made a run beyond him was Antonio and although he can finish, he is nowhere consistent enough to supply goals on a regular basis. Ditto COG

Well I'm not sure Rodri has adapted to the pace and physical nature of the game yet. Certainly I wouldn't argue that a player schooled at Barcelona couldn't play up there, but in a system where we are using three playmakers where would he fit in?

Well I'm not sure Rodri has adapted to the pace and physical nature of the game yet. Certainly I wouldn't argue that a player schooled at Barcelona couldn't play up there, but in a system where we are using three playmakers where would he fit in?

I feel one of the three from friday may be dropped to the bench

You can't select a keeper in case there's a fight with fans ?

Be good though Neil wunt ***

We need a player with Rodri's football brain and finishing skills, who has Antonio's pace and power Over to you DJ, can't be too hard to find

my lad :rolleyes::laugh:

Guest arobert

I am surprised about the Rodri comments.

He reminds me of a schoolboy playing in men's football.

He lacks both the pace and physical presence for Championship football in my view.

I would be looking to see if we can get out of the contract with Barcelona and bring in Frazier Campbell on loan.

Kinda like Bothroyd there though, don't you He had more of a free role than he had against Hull and it suited him as he was able to get more involved.

Yeah I don't mind him there, but I do think he could be the centre forward we need if we got a dangerous midfielder to do the job he is currently doing.

We did so well for most of the game on Friday because we controlled centre midfield. We had 3 proper midfielders in there. This was the difference from what we have seen in the past. When was the last time we controlled midfield by actually passing the ball and keeping possession. Semedo bullied a few League 1 teams last year but we still did not have control of the ball the way we did on Friday. We need to retain this not throw it away by changing it.

COG is the best we have got to play the lone striker role. He is just mobile enough and his strength is a great asset up there. Of course he sometimes loses the ball as he lacks a bit of quality. However Madine is not strong enough or mobile enough to do it. I sympathise with the view that we should bring a loan striker in , infact I posted it on another thread, however we saw great spirit on Friday and COG was a great part of that. I would give him longer.

We must keep Bothroyd in the midfield role. Not sure he has the physical and workrate aspects to play up front in our team and in midfield he has more time on the ball.

Easy, keep the same team, keep working on getting the system right , especially getting people forward in support of the striker.