Back to the football, how about a striker?

Lets concentrate on the football now lads. Friday's performance was a marked improvement on what we've seen recently, especially in midfield where Barkley, Bothroyd, Semedo and Corry were superb. Defensively we were never really tested so I'll reserve judgement as to whether we've sorted that particular area out. Certainly having the five in midfield makes us look a little more solid. To capitalise on the creative talents of Barkley and Bothroyd though, we really need to bring in a striker. Most sides have a striker capable of scoring twenty goals in this league, do we? I don't think we do. In this system, Barkley and Bothroyd will score us goals from midfield but with just the one up front, we need our striker to get goals. This is not to knock COG, who has proved to be the best we have, but is simply not suited to playing the lone striker role. True, he gets through a tremendous amount of work and always makes himself available but is it enough? We now have the midfield who are capable of unlocking the best defences but they need to have a striker who is making the runs in behind. For me its a complete waste of the talents of Barkley and Bothroyd if the sole ambition is to get the ball into COG and hope that he can hold onto it. If we play with two up front, or we want to change things from the bench, then COGs a useful option, but if we really want to make the most of our system, we need a different kind of player alltogether . Lets use the loan market to get someone in and make this system really work.

Guest MASSIVE1867

Frazier Campbell, he would be good at making those darting runs. Would also be good alongside COG if we changed the system

Would take some doing to sign him we would rip the league in half

Guest Johnbloodaxe

rodri should come in alongside cog

This, alomgside madnie too..

I;d still like to see Bywater as goalie, I think he is much more of a leader at the back and I think that showed on Friday night when the idiot invaded, Bywater would have chinned him and pinned him down for the stewards, I think this shows the difference in their "styles" and strengths....

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

O'Grady not suited to playing the lone striker role?

I think it's the PERFECT role for him myself, so long as enough bodies from midfield get forward in support when the ball has been played into him.

With the current system we're playing, so long as Antonio, Bothroyd and Barkley get around CoG, we'll score goals.

Although O'Grady himself won't get many- we know that.

I;d still like to see Bywater as goalie, I think he is much more of a leader at the back and I think that showed on Friday night when the idiot invaded, Bywater would have chinned him and pinned him down for the stewards, I think this shows the difference in their "styles" and strengths....

You can't select a keeper in case there's a fight with fans ?

Owlstalk Shop

With Barkley and Bothroyd pulling the strings, ie threading the passes, who is likely to get beyond them? Its the role that seemed to fall to Antonio in recent matches but neither him nor COG are clinical enough in front of goal.