Buxton, Llera, Reda, Lines and Madine

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Football's all about opinions

Thing is though my opinions are always right

Rodri would be a weak choice vs Leeds United btw

Seems the vultures are circling on here Neil. I'd love em to think back just 12 months or 18.....and see whether they're happier now.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

Agree with the OP - but don't we all? Problem is that DJ has set out to make a point & distance himself from the past. He will play his signings come what may.

This is absolute rubbish, though, and another example of how desperate and made-up a lot of the criticism of Jones is.

Reda is his first-choice left back when he isn't injured.

Buxton is his first-choice right back when he isn't injured.

Lines has been injured all season.

Etc. How does this fit into the fantasy world of Jones despising the old guard and replacing them all with his evil minions?

I agree with three. Reda Johnson, Lines and Buxton. Better than Mattock, Semedo and Lee/JJ/Mattock/every other bugger who has had a crack at playing at RB this season!

Madine hasn't had a fair crack of the whip so I'm not sure on him. I'd probably start him on Friday night because I think it's his kind of game- he has made impressions in Derby games before and he will have his tail up after the u21's game last week. I don't agree that he is guarenteed to make us "a much better team" at Championship level though- he hasn't played in this league before so is very much an unknown quanitity. He might be great, he might not...we'll have to give him a chance to find out.

Disagree on Llera. He has played plenty of times this season and we've conceded a stack of goals in those games. He looks short of what is required at Championship level and I'd rather stick with Taylor and let him bed in (he has only played about 3 games I think?!) than play Llera.

I agree with three. Reda Johnson, Lines and Buxton. Better than Mattock, Semedo and Lee/JJ/Mattock/every other bugger who has had a crack at playing at RB this season!

Madine hasn't had a fair crack of the whip so I'm not sure on him. I'd probably start him on Friday night because I think it's his kind of game- he has made impressions in Derby games before and he will have his tail up after the u21's game last week. I don't agree that he is guarenteed to make us "a much better team" at Championship level though- he hasn't played in this league before so is very much an unknown quanitity. He might be great, he might not...we'll have to give him a chance to find out.

Disagree on Llera. He has played plenty of times this season and we've conceded a stack of goals in those games. He looks short of what is required at Championship level and I'd rather stick with Taylor and let him bed in (he has only played about 3 games I think?!) than play Llera.

I know it seems like a ridiculous reason to pick a defender (but let's face it our defence has been ludicrous this season!) but on current form Llera is no worse than Taylor but, crucially, and this is the ridiculous bit, he's much more of a goal threat.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

I know it seems like a ridiculous reason to pick a defender (but let's face it our defence has been ludicrous this season!) but on current form Llera is no worse than Taylor but, crucially, and this is the ridiculous bit, he's much more of a goal threat.

Not ridiculous at all and I've said exactly the same at the last few games. The set pieces are so poor at the minute that Llera's presence in the team is an absolute necessity - whether it's taking them or just being in the box when (or if!) they come in. Not the ideal reason to select a defender but Taylor has shown nothing to suggest he's better than Llera at CB.

Guest Bedders

Not ridiculous at all and I've said exactly the same at the last few games. The set pieces are so poor at the minute that Llera's presence in the team is an absolute necessity - whether it's taking them or just being in the box when (or if!) they come in. Not the ideal reason to select a defender but Taylor has shown nothing to suggest he's better than Llera at CB.

Agree with that.

You have to rely on the reputation that he has built up over 10+years of football at this level. Every club has rated him, including the team we just bought him from- Zola went nuts when he found out they'd sold him to us.

We have to give him the opportunity to get up to those standards again. He has started horrendously badly, that's obvious to everyone. But he has played 5 games. If we play him another 5-10 times and he doesn't improve then I'd drop him and give somebody else a go; be it Llera or Beevers back from Millwall.

But fundamentally, he needs a decent crack at reproducing the performances he has managed at other clubs before we write him off IMO.

It IS picking a player on reputation, but not reputation over form...because all of our other defenders have done badly at CB as well. There isn't anybody in form so i'l lean towards the players with a better past in the hope that it means a better future.

This is absolute rubbish, though, and another example of how desperate and made-up a lot of the criticism of Jones is.

Reda is his first-choice left back when he isn't injured.

Buxton is his first-choice right back when he isn't injured.

Lines has been injured all season.

Etc. How does this fit into the fantasy world of Jones despising the old guard and replacing them all with his evil minions?

Explain the Bolton game line up then. Edited by lanzaroteowl

Guest Bedders

You have to rely on the reputation that he has built up over 10+years of football at this level. Every club has rated him, including the team we just bought him from- Zola went nuts when he found out they'd sold him to us.

We have to give him the opportunity to get up to those standards again. He has started horrendously badly, that's obvious to everyone. But he has played 5 games. If we play him another 5-10 times and he doesn't improve then I'd drop him and give somebody else a go; be it Llera or Beevers back from Millwall.

But fundamentally, he needs a decent crack at reproducing the performances he has managed at other clubs before we write him off IMO.

It IS picking a player on reputation, but not reputation over form...because all of our other defenders have done badly at CB as well. There isn't anybody in form so i'l lean towards the players with a better past in the hope that it means a better future.

So you are saying we have to 'risk' losing 10 more games before we can really decide what most of us can already see?

When we are at a point of no return...we can at least say......... well at least we gave him a chance!

Boy.............. sometimes I just cannot believe what I read on here!!!!

Edited by Bedders

So you are saying we have to 'risk' losing 10 more games before we can really decide what most of us can already see?

When we are at a point of no return...we can at least say......... well at least we gave him a chance!

Boy.............. sometimes I just cannot believe what I read on here!!!!

To clarify: you're shocked by somebody posting that we should give a player with more than a decade of Premiership and Championship experience, and who has impressed at every club he has played at, more than 5 appearances for us before dropping him never to be seen again?

Because "most of us" (i presume by that you mean some of the same Owlstalk football experts who thought our back five of Grant/Simek/Wood/Beevers/Spurr was worth £20 million and Reda Johnson should play as a holding central midfielder) can see (from five appearances...all of which i'm sure EVERYBODY on Owlstalk has seen live...rather than just hearing from a mate that he didn't play well and deciding that he's crap as a result) that he is rubbish already?

Madine has been coasting by on sub-par performances for ages now. The "but he doesn't get the service" argument is eerily reminiscent of a certain windmilling ex-striker of ours. I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that some of the people wanting him back in the side are the ones who were crying out for COG as the saviour of the team not long ago; that hasn't worked, so we move on to Madine. If Madine comes in and we don't start winning, then we'll move onto "why isn't Rodri playing, he should be playing every week, then we'd win, Jones is an idiot", etc. Repeat to fade.

Spot on

Lines was okay at League One level, not much more than that. In a two-man midfield he's fourth-choice for me, behind Semedo, Barkley and McCabe. He will not come in and save the team, at any rate.

Agreed re: the other three.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on Taylor by any means and I think the over-the-top criticism he's had from a minority has been ludicrous; but at the same time, we're short on goal threats at the minute, and Llera offers something up top that Taylor doesn't. For that reason, I'd go with Llera for now. That isn't to say I think Taylor is a total write-off, just that Llera is the better option currently.

Explain the Bolton game line up then.

Why, were Lines, Buxton & Reda all fit for that game? If not, what's your point?

sorry but reputation means nothing, could play a blinder for us or be s++te for the next ten games ,you should by rights earn the shirt ,Taylor hasn't ,whether he will or not remains to be seen , but his reputation is at watford not here , if he plays well and builds one for swfc all well and good but for now he's just another cb

and nothing special at the moment ,at least Liiera will give his all ,

sorry but reputation means nothing, could play a blinder for us or be s++te for the next ten games ,you should by rights earn the shirt ,Taylor hasn't ,whether he will or not remains to be seen , but his reputation is at watford not here , if he plays well and builds one for swfc all well and good but for now he's just another cb

and nothing special at the moment ,at least Liiera will give his all ,

totally agree with everything said. Llera's goal should have stood against hull