Lambert/Adkins template

Guest arobert

Guest arobert

In two successive seasons Paul Lambert at Norwich City and Nigel Adkins at Southampton used the same model of taking a galvanised League One team straight through the Champiuonship into the Premier League.

They both did it by keeping the spirit of ther League One team together and by adding just a few higher quality players.

Unfortunately we have under Dave Jones used a very different model of bringing in a large number of player (14?) most of who seem to be mediocre at best.

I am really concerned at the short and long term impact of this approach on SWFC.

Yes, we can send Rodri back to Spain at the end of the season or earlier if the contract allows but we will be saddled for another 1/2 years with the likes of Pecnick, Mattock, Taylor, Gardener, McGuire (though perhaps a little too early to say in his case).

Dave Jones should have studied the Lambert/Adkins model but instead we acted in haste and are now and we will continue to repent at leisure.

The sample size isn't large enough for actual comments other than 'Well done Lambert and Adkins', and I don't even smoke.

There are many more examples of people getting promoted and not immediately p*ssing the Championship, and whilst we're all disappointed by our start, I think comparisons like this are over the top.

Since 2000, 2 teams have gone from league 1 straight to the prem. In the same time span, Bradford, Southend, Gillingham and Plymouth have all gone from the championship to league 2. There's double the amount of evidence to suggest teams keep going down rather than battle up 2. Both statements are a load of unsubstantiated multi testicles though. It depends on the individual club and their individual season(s)

We've not had the best starts for a number of reasons

We brought in players really late so other clubs had a head start on us

The loanees coming in (unfortunately) needed time to gel and find their fitness levels.

Some of the new players need time to gel in having not had a pre-season with the team

Finding the best team has been a struggle as each change has brought new challenges/mistakes

Madine's not had a run of games yet to find the goals we need

Antonio's been quieter than the fans would have expected him to be

I also think a few megastars that the fans were celebrating were overhyped and might not deliver what the fans are looking for this season

The team's needed to basically play games, gel and find their feet after being put together very late on, but this is happening now and every game we play seems to bring a more consistent and better performance.

We'll be fine...

Owlstalk Shop

Guest arobert

It seems to me we have a lot of responses saying it will all be OK out of some blind faith.

I am not so sure and I just do not buy this gradual improvement theory at all.

Bolton and Hull were poor and the latter were missing key players - zero points gained from two "winnable" home games.

The point I am making is that whoever the manager is following the Leeds game he will have to suffer the major mistakes made by DJ in the summer:

I give you Rodri, Pecnick, Mattock, et al

Since 2000, 2 teams have gone from league 1 straight to the prem. In the same time span, Bradford, Southend, Gillingham and Plymouth have all gone from the championship to league 2. There's double the amount of evidence to suggest teams keep going down rather than battle up 2. Both statements are a load of unsubstantiated multi testicles though. It depends on the individual club and their individual season(s)

The loanees coming in (unfortunately) needed time to gel and find their fitness levels.

Some of the new players need time to gel in having not had a pre-season with the team

Finding the best team has been a struggle as each change has brought new challenges/mistakes

I also think a few megastars that the fans were celebrating were overhyped and might not deliver what the fans are looking for this season

The team's needed to basically play games, gel and find their feet after being put together very late on, but this is happening now and every game we play seems to bring a more consistent and better performance.

We'll be fine...

For it to be blind faith it has to be blind. There is reason and evidence in these two responses, it's just that you don't agree.

We'll be fine...

What no mention of Pecnick :ohmy:

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

Think its a bit harsh. The difference is that both Norwich and Southampton had the backbone of a good team when they got promoted from League 1 whilst our team heavily relied on loans, Batth, Marshall etc.. Semedo and Madine (two of our outstanding players) don't seem to have adjusted yet. Also there are plenty of other teams who have been promoted and had no real impact on theis league i.e. Leeds!

Think its a bit harsh. The difference is that both Norwich and Southampton had the backbone of a good team when they got promoted from League 1 whilst our team heavily relied on loans, Batth, Marshall etc.. Semedo and Madine (two of our outstanding players) don't seem to have adjusted yet. Also there are plenty of other teams who have been promoted and had no real impact on theis league i.e. Leeds!

Agreed, It helped those teams that they were already boasting championship/potentially future premiership standard players like Lallana, Holt and Lambert.

We had Ranger, Treacy and Batth who had to go back, out of our hands that one, we also had players like Ryan Lowe who was most likely signed purely to help get us out of league 1, and therefore was let go once the goal was achieved, although the money spent on Chris Maguire remains a baffling bit of business.

Team spirit is all well and good, but that alone does not win you football matches, and team spirit is always higher in a team that is winning, how do you think the spirit would be if we had kept most of last years side? I dont think it would be particularly high, because I dont think it would be doing any better, results wise, than we are now.

In two successive seasons Paul Lambert at Norwich City and Nigel Adkins at Southampton used the same model of taking a galvanised League One team straight through the Champiuonship into the Premier League.

They both did it by keeping the spirit of ther League One team together and by adding just a few higher quality players.

Unfortunately we have under Dave Jones used a very different model of bringing in a large number of player (14?) most of who seem to be mediocre at best.

I am really concerned at the short and long term impact of this approach on SWFC.

Yes, we can send Rodri back to Spain at the end of the season or earlier if the contract allows but we will be saddled for another 1/2 years with the likes of Pecnick, Mattock, Taylor, Gardener, McGuire (though perhaps a little too early to say in his case).

Dave Jones should have studied the Lambert/Adkins model but instead we acted in haste and are now and we will continue to repent at leisure.

taylor, gardner and mattock are proven at this level and a bit early to be writing them off . as for jones he said in 1st interview he builds teams so it can come as no surprise to anyone that there was going to wholesale changes and he'd be getting his own players in ,that they havnt come off yet is undeniable but 11 games isnt enough time to judge if he is right or wrong .

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Sorry lads but OP is correct....Taylor, Mattock, Pecnik, Rodri, Maguire all seem like terrible signings. It's going to be a long, hard season! Hope we can survive and then build next year!

Sorry lads but OP is correct....Taylor, Mattock, Pecnik, Rodri, Maguire all seem like terrible signings. It's going to be a long, hard season! Hope we can survive and then build next year!

Mattock is ordinary, he's not been terrible, but I wont sit here and say he's been great, Maguire just makes no sense, no idea what he's been brought in for, if he's no good, why spend the money?

The rest I agree all look worse than useless, I am looking forward to seeing Danny Mayor involved a bit more though, think he looks like he could be very useful.

Guest foreverSWFC

Southampton and Norwich came up from League One with much better squads. They had a mixture of experience players with good youngsters who have developed into Premier League players. Also they played a good passing game with technically gifted footballers, they came into the Championship in a much better position to us on and off the pitch.

Our promotion last season was based of fitness, hardworking players and some fantastic loan signings. That is what carried us over the line.

Without Batth, Marshall and Antonio we wouldn't have gone up last season, other clubs players are what got us promoted, unlike Norwich and Southampton who had very gifted players on their books. They also had two terrific goalscorers which we don't have, Lambert and Holt who both turned into players nobody thought they would.

DJ had to invest and bring new players in because quite frankly the team wasn't good enough to compete at this level. Jury is out whether he has made the right signings, but I'm sure it will all come good.

We were never going to replicate the feats of those two clubs though, we are far behind them financially and ability wise.

We'll be fine...

tbf that's a reasonable post mate