Too honest...

Listening back to the RH from yesterday and the first caller on about antonio being too honest.... Am I the only person that thinks there is no such thing as that. A foul has nothing to do with how honest you are, if it's a foul it is a foul. I feel proud at the idea that our players would keep going after being fouled because in recent history too often have our players stopped trying when they think they have been fouled and thus missed opportunities. what is it, should we dive at the slightest touch or aim to keep going?

Listening back to the RH from yesterday and the first caller on about antonio being too honest.... Am I the only person that thinks there is no such thing as that. A foul has nothing to do with how honest you are, if it's a foul it is a foul. I feel proud at the idea that our players would keep going after being fouled because in recent history too often have our players stopped trying when they think they have been fouled and thus missed opportunities. what is it, should we dive at the slightest touch or aim to keep going?

If a dive wins you a pen you do it, if he had gone down and stayed down there would've been more chance of a pen, he was never going to score after stumbling to get up after that, they all have to get cute imo.

Edited by TaxiMark

If a dive wins you a pen you do it, if he had gone down and stayed down their would of been more chance of a pen, he was never going to score after stumbling to get up after that, they all have to get cute imo.

but if you dive and the pen is not given, which with these refs is likely, then there is NO chance of a goal. it is the same argument as chasing lost causes, sure chasing them takes energy and effort but sometimes it comes up. whether a player stays up or goes down for a pen it doesnt change the fact it is a foul does it?

I hate diving but refs are encouraging it with decisions like the one on saturday, (not giving Antonio a pen).

Could you blame Antonio if he said...........flip it, im goin down big style next time.

Edited by flying-owl

surely we should be encouraging the refs to do their jobs rather than encourage our players to be dishonest?

Exactly this. Cheating shouldn't be encouraged, if the foul took him down, then so be it, but don't dive and risk a yellow card for simulation. It's up to the ref's to spot the foul and act accordingly.

(Having said all that, my guess is, if he had have gone down, we'd have got the pen).

FH had a thing on last week about diving and ppl were talking about a 3 game ban for diving. The Antonio none pen on Saturday and various other incidents have proven that if a player stays on his feet then he doesn't get the penalty, if he goes down at the slightest touch he usually gets it. Until referee's sort this out then players will be reluctant to stay on their feet, especially with all the pressure for success in todays game

The problem and fault is with the referee's not the player.

The referee should have given the penalty, and by not giving it encourages players to effectively simulate the severity of fouls in order to help the referee make the correct decision. Clearly this also leads to some players simulating fouls that do not even exist in the first place.

To mitigate against the above, punishments for diving should be dished out retrospectively. A 3 game ban suggested by Pulis for the first diving offence, then additional punishments for subsequent offences - 6 game ban for the 2nd etc.

It will soon stop the diving.

No excuse for the referee decision not to give a penalty, just an awful moment from the referee.

Edited by nebneeb

surely we should be encouraging the refs to do their jobs rather than encourage our players to be dishonest?

I couldn't agree more but thats not what we saw on Saturday. Very poor refs will inadvertantly encourage cheating

to counter their bad decisions.

anyone remember the world cup? think it was ghana, their forward couldve gone down in like the last minute but instead put his whole heart into it, kept going and scored? that's football, I would never encourage my team to go down if they aren't forced down. the only way the refs will learn is if people stop diving. nowadays refs dont look for fouls they look for players going down

They were a few incidents at wolves where we just weren't clever enough. A few times we slightly touched there player and he went down resulting in a free kick. Our players were getting barged around and because they were staying on their feet we got nothing.

who would you rather be? the team going down or the team that is going to make you proud with their honesty?

If there is contact with one of our players in the box tonight and he goes down in the 90th minute with the scores 0-0 to win a pen, what do you say, fk it get up and carry on, it wasn't a foul or take the pen?

If one of our players gets fouled in the box, the ref should give a penalty regardless of what the player does.

If the player stays on his feet or gets up, the referee could allow the play to continue to see if there is an advantage (i.e. a goal is scored), then if there is no advantage take it back for the penalty.

anyone remember the world cup? think it was ghana, their forward couldve gone down in like the last minute but instead put his whole heart into it, kept going and scored? that's football, I would never encourage my team to go down if they aren't forced down. the only way the refs will learn is if people stop diving. nowadays refs dont look for fouls they look for players going down

who would you rather be? the team going down or the team that is going to make you proud with their honesty?

Answer my question though, sorry it happens, it's down to the ref and his assistant to see it, on Saturday, Antonio got up straight away and fluffed his chance then complained after, he was never going to get anything.

I hate diving but refs are encouraging it with decisions like the one on saturday, (not giving Antonio a pen).

Could you blame Antonio if he said...........flip it, im goin down big style next time.

I hate diving refs

Well we're talking technology here. For whatever reason football seems to think that it is the only sport that it wouldn't work in. Who'd be a ref? Its got to the point where any hand - ball contact at all is an automatic penalty (if in the box) just for the sake of expediency. Don't get me wrong, some refs are total plantpots but it seems we are prepared to dissect decisions on frame by frame TV replays but not use that technology to actually get the right decision. It is the norm now for players to restle at free kicks and corners and then having the audacity to blame the refs for missing the odd thing.

Getting back to the main point though which is that diving is cheating. I guess that the fans, players and managers are cool with it so long as it goes in their favour.

If one of our players gets fouled in the box, the ref should give a penalty regardless of what the player does.

If the player stays on his feet or gets up, the referee could allow the play to continue to see if there is an advantage (i.e. a goal is scored), then if there is no advantage take it back for the penalty.

I agree but away from home you will never get them decisions imo unless the ref has big balls.

I think the point is that if Antonio had stayed down clutching his ankle a penalty would be given every day of the week. The ref reads from him getting up that MA doesn't think he's be fouled and that sways the ref's decision.

the team that is going to make me proud with their honesty?..... will do for me.

I spend so many hours slagging refs off for giving Man United soft penalties for blatant dives, so it would be a bit wrong of me to say that our players should be diving.

I do however think that Antonio was fouled, it clearly cost him his balance and as a result I dont think he should have bothered trying as hard as he did to stay up.

Diving when you arent fouled is cheating, but fighting as hard as Antonio did to stay up when you are genuinely fouled, in my opinion is being too honest.