Have we all calmed down yet?

Guest foreverSWFC

Agree.

Unfortunately, players like Marshall don't turn up very often and he wanted to play Championship football.

Think we messed up big style with Marshall?

Now i know we couldn't compete with Leicester in the wage departments, but should we have gone all out to get him? Like you said a player like that doesn't come around often and having him in our side would change our fortunes significantly. On fire at Leicester and an England U'21 now, getting alot of recognition with many premier league clubs sniffing around him, what could have been if we had fetched him in.

Obviously we all hate losing, and I was just as pissed off as the next Owl yesterday, but looking back on yesterday, I don't think we were THAT bad.

We came up against a very good Bolton side only just relegated from the PL, and we had our 3rd choice full-backs on show to deal with Eagles and Davies.

It's well known that a settled defence is normally a good one - and the of the four defenders yesterday, not ONE of the six combinations (Gardner/Taylor, Gardner/Lee, Gardner/Jones, Taylor/Lee, Taylor/Jones, Lee/Jones) had played together in any match before. That's quite amazing, and it wasn't out of choice - we all know DJ's preferred full-backs are Buxton and Reda. Once they're back fit, it'll be great to see the defence settle down a bit.

Barkley seemed less nervous, so hopefully we'll start to see the best of him.

Bothroyd disappointed again but he's not match fit, and he's not getting the service. I've been saying for a long time we needed a Keith Treacy type of player that can cross from anywhere - we haven't got the type of player. All our wingers are the direct, pacy type who get their head down and head for goal. We need a bit more creativity out wide, and Pecnik isn't the answer. If we can get Treacy back on loan i'd be a bit more happy.

Rodri has shown a few good touches, and again, I reckon he just needs to adapt. He's played SIX games in English football so far.

O'Grady, for all his hustle and bustle, isn't the answer to our problems.

The answer is patience - the likes of Taylor, Bothroyd, Gardner etc... have a very good pedigree in this division and they won't have just turned bad overnight.

Southampton on Tuesday gives us a chance of getting another 90 minutes under our belt as a unit.

I'm amazed that the first rumblings of discontent with Dave Jones have started to appear already - FOUR games ago he was the messiah.

Our winless run might stretch to 6,7 or 8 games, but I reckon he's earned our trust, and I reckon, in time, we'll turn it around.

exactly,what we've got to remember is that we are playing in a higher league where one mistake is ruthlessly punished by higher calibre sides such as Bolton compared to league 1 where you could get away with it.

Good thread. Nice to read a bit of sanity on here.

I wasn't at Palace game but was told it could have gone either way. We were comprehensively outplayed by Brighton but they've had a year to adjust to this division and are running rampant. Against Huddersfield, a different ref, and it's a different result. Yesterday, we lost out to a team that's pretty much been kept in tact after dropping from the Premiership, so it's hardly not to be expected.

It's not like we've been getting thumped Brum style. Fine margins. They have been going for us, now they're going against us. Yes, we look disjointed, but DJ hasn't been able to field a team consistently. He's compounded this with too many changes. But he'll learn from these mistakes. This year's a learning curve for all of us.

It will do us good to play the next three away take a bit of the pressure off.

pressure off who?

so playing at home creates too much pressure for the team again does it?

did Megsons reign never happen?

there you go, i knew if you kept looking long enough you'd find someone to blame for the losses, its our fault again,

at least we aint getting sued again

Obviously we all hate losing, and I was just as pissed off as the next Owl yesterday, but looking back on yesterday, I don't think we were THAT bad.

We came up against a very good Bolton side only just relegated from the PL, and we had our 3rd choice full-backs on show to deal with Eagles and Davies.

It's well known that a settled defence is normally a good one - and the of the four defenders yesterday, not ONE of the six combinations (Gardner/Taylor, Gardner/Lee, Gardner/Jones, Taylor/Lee, Taylor/Jones, Lee/Jones) had played together in any match before. That's quite amazing, and it wasn't out of choice - we all know DJ's preferred full-backs are Buxton and Reda. Once they're back fit, it'll be great to see the defence settle down a bit.

Bothroyd disappointed again but he's not match fit, and he's not getting the service. I've been saying for a long time we needed a Keith Treacy type of player that can cross from anywhere - we haven't got the type of player. All our wingers are the direct, pacy type who get their head down and head for goal. We need a bit more creativity out wide, and Pecnik isn't the answer. If we can get Treacy back on loan i'd be a bit more happy.

Rodri has shown a few good touches, and again, I reckon he just needs to adapt. He's played SIX games in English football so far.

The answer is patience - the likes of Taylor, Bothroyd, Gardner etc... have a very good pedigree in this division and they won't have just turned bad overnight.

Southampton on Tuesday gives us a chance of getting another 90 minutes under our belt as a unit.

I'm amazed that the first rumblings of discontent with Dave Jones have started to appear already - FOUR games ago he was the messiah.

Our winless run might stretch to 6,7 or 8 games, but I reckon he's earned our trust, and I reckon, in time, we'll turn it around.

Excellent post in the middle of all the rubbish Kivo. Well said.

Our winless run might stretch to 6,7 or 8 games,********* but I reckon he's earned our trust, and I reckon, in time, we'll turn it around.*******

_____________________________________________________________________________________

agree with most of what you say here kivo BUT he is starting to lose my trust by ignoring the basics and miking elementary errors:

eg/ if it ain't broke don't try n fix it!

build on 'momentum' (don't erase it as if never happened)

get the spine of the team strong (in this case our spine was our 'spirit' (and i'm talking both team and fans alike)

don't put square pegs in round holes (eg right back;mattock/lee)

don't underestimate the power of the dressing room and/or fans

Edited by brian joicey

Spot on. Play the same back 5 against southampton and go again.

Very good opening post and hard to argue with.

The problem with the current run of form is that there's potentially several things wrong but no one obvious solution, which leads to some of the wild statements, speculation and frustration we've seen on here. Hopefully Jones does have the answer but people are going to be restless until he proves as much.

This is one of those things now where nobody is really going to fully calm down until we next win a game. Our form, team selections, spirit, togetherness and ability are all under fire right now and the only way to answer those questions is to win football matches. Thankfully this division is one where a single win can carry you back up the table, but for everybody's sanity we need that win next sooner rather than later.

Would rather not have to go to Wolves to try and get it, mind.

well dj has succeded in one thing deviding the fans if nothing else,

The manager hasn't divided the fanbase - the fans have

The bloke deserves a chance when things aren't going his way - the fact some fans don't seem prepared to give him that chance without questioning everything about him and his choices is the divisive factor

well dj has succeded in one thing deviding the fans if nothing else,

Don't agree with that, trev.

There is frustration with him and the team, but any division is because of us as fans squabbling among ourselves.

The exact same could be said of Megson on three or four occasions during his tenure.

Guest foreverSWFC

You've just answered your own question

And 4 games ago virtually nobody on here would have preferred him to Antonio anyway

Really? I would have. Marshall is a much better all round player than Antonio, I know who I'd rather have.