Kirkland - Why Is He Escaping The Flack ?

Whilst I don't pretend to be a good quaity goalkeeper, I played as a GK for 15 years so I have a little insight as to what the job is about. So I thought today I would pay attention to Kirkland throughout the game.

1) Kirkland never came out for a cross or a corner ALL GAME when on at least 4 occasions he could quite easily have got hands or a fist to the ball - the corner that led to the first goal being one of them. For this I have to start calling him Dracula.

2) Not sure if this was Kirklands decision or not but the early corners in the match, Lee had walked over to the far post to indeed cover that post. Kirkland moved him away both times. Their goal would have been stopped had a man been on that post (even Lee with his height!).

3) Sitting 7 rows up slightly to the left of the goal, it is very easy to hear players communication. Kirkland did not ONCE in the first half communicate to any defender when the ball was in our half and Bolton on the attack.

4) Kirkland lost the opportunity 6 times for quick throws out to the wing (mainly Antonio who had acres of space) to start a quick attack. 2 out of these 6, Antonio would have been 1 on 1 with the last defender.

5) Going back to his throwing out, after he had dilly dallyed on numerous occasions, he finally chose to throw the ball out, but threw out with height on the ball, which of course slows it up and gives defenders the chance to get shut or cut it out. It also put players receiving the ball straight under pressure which resulted in them losing the ball.

6) His kicking was poor, especially in hand, all he did was hoof it as high as he could, with Zak Knight playing for them, there was only ever one winner (if indeed these hoofed balls made it into the opposition half which they often did not).

All in all Kirkland plays like a player what has not had proper football for years. Bywater should he not make any mistakes against Southampton (assuming he plays), should not lose his place for the next League match.

Please don't berate me saying I do not know what I am talking about, I do. I rate Kirkland, as a shot stopper he is very good (although not many shots are being stopped at the moment) but from todays showing and previous games, that is about it at present. Not a patch on where he was earlier on in his career.

I won't berate you mate, but honestly, Kirkland wasn't at fault for either goal.

However, i would be mighty tempted to play a vast majority of the lads who got us up last term. The ones that are still here that is.

We are seriously missing Danny Baath's composure though.

Whilst I don't pretend to be a good quaity goalkeeper, I played as a GK for 15 years so I have a little insight as to what the job is about. So I thought today I would pay attention to Kirkland throughout the game.

1) Kirkland never came out for a cross or a corner ALL GAME when on at least 4 occasions he could quite easily have got hands or a fist to the ball - the corner that led to the first goal being one of them. For this I have to start calling him Dracula.

2) Not sure if this was Kirklands decision or not but the early corners in the match, Lee had walked over to the far post to indeed cover that post. Kirkland moved him away both times. Their goal would have been stopped had a man been on that post (even Lee with his height!).

3) Sitting 7 rows up slightly to the left of the goal, it is very easy to hear players communication. Kirkland did not ONCE in the first half communicate to any defender when the ball was in our half and Bolton on the attack.

4) Kirkland lost the opportunity 6 times for quick throws out to the wing (mainly Antonio who had acres of space) to start a quick attack. 2 out of these 6, Antonio would have been 1 on 1 with the last defender.

5) Going back to his throwing out, after he had dilly dallyed on numerous occasions, he finally chose to throw the ball out, but threw out with height on the ball, which of course slows it up and gives defenders the chance to get shut or cut it out. It also put players receiving the ball straight under pressure which resulted in them losing the ball.

6) His kicking was poor, especially in hand, all he did was hoof it as high as he could, with Zak Knight playing for them, there was only ever one winner (if indeed these hoofed balls made it into the opposition half which they often did not).

All in all Kirkland plays like a player what has not had proper football for years. Bywater should he not make any mistakes against Southampton (assuming he plays), should not lose his place for the next League match.

Please don't berate me saying I do not know what I am talking about, I do. I rate Kirkland, as a shot stopper he is very good (although not many shots are being stopped at the moment) but from todays showing and previous games, that is about it at present. Not a patch on where he was earlier on in his career.

Eayne

What has Kirkland done wrong.

Played very, very, well this season.

**** me, the goalie is crap now.

Reading, we had a debate the other night mate. Forget that.

I am purely stating what I watched today mate. 16 goals conceded in 7 games is abysmal. Maybe he couldn't get to any of them but if he communicates to what defenders cannot see then it helps. Bywater has always been good at that but not as good a shot stopped as Kirkland.

Yes, because he realised he had no f00kin chance of getting there.

He certainly did!

Guest MikeRoderz

man, hes been one of our best players, anyone that went brighton this season would of seen him make 2/3 class saves, against oldham in the cup we would of got embrassed do i have to go on? ok im understanding your point but if players are leaving him expossed what can he do? bywater will play against the saints so we see from that game if he needs to be dropped or not

I'd agree with a lot of the OP on today's game.. Kirklands worse game today.

He's a very good keeper - I am starting to wonder about his communication though. Maybe it's a confidence thing. Picking the ball out of the net 2 or 3 times every game can't be good.

Of course, having 3 or 4 new players in front of him every game can't help.

Edited by Jowl

He isn't escaping the flack - certain posters have been calling for Bywater to be put back in for weeks. Don't think Kirkland's done too much wrong overall but the amount of goals that we have conceded is a huge cause for concern.

I think it might be best for the team if we give Bywater a game against Southampton and assess the situation from there.

Very good opening post, spot on.

I was saying this even before our bad run believe it or not, but you've described it far better than me lol.

Just because Kirkland is percieved as a Prem keeper is deluding people opinions I feel. Like Bothroyd he hasn't played much at all for a season, he's off the pace right now.

Plus Bywater is a far better communicator and organiser of the defence. Bywater needs to be given a start!

Its probably all down to the fact he has barely played for years. He was and could be again a fantastic keeper. Shot stopping he is up there with the rest of them. Currently the rest of his game is rubbish.

man, hes been one of our best players, anyone that went brighton this season would of seen him make 2/3 class saves, against oldham in the cup we would of got embrassed do i have to go on? ok im understanding your point but if players are leaving him expossed what can he do? bywater will play against the saints so we see from that game if he needs to be dropped or not

Yes exactly my point, a great shot stopper at present. That is it though.

Rubbish he's escaping the flack as you call it cos he doesn't do much wrong