Tango's Corner 1930's Style

And that's where I was for my first match just tall enough to see over that wall at the front. For the next match I looked through the railings to the left on the old North stand terrace even though admission was double at 2 bob ( 10p).

Seeing how packed in the crowd, is people used to faint on a regular basis and get passed down over everyone's heads. I used to think it was quite normal- Oh somebody's fainted again !

Nice one...someone put a link to the British Pathe web site the other week...It's well worth a look.Just type in Hillsborough and there's a few games from the 50's and 60's. Mostly semi finals..It's interesting to see Hillsborough pre 62 before the North was built and after before the Lep as it is today was built.

And that's where I was for my first match just tall enough to see over that wall at the front. For the next match I looked through the railings to the left on the old North stand terrace even though admission was double at 2 bob ( 10p).

Seeing how packed in the crowd, is people used to faint on a regular basis and get passed down over everyone's heads. I used to think it was quite normal- Oh somebody's fainted again !

Thanks for sharing that - memories like that should be preserved. My Dad likes to tell me stories how children used to be passed over the heads of the crown down to the front. I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. :rolleyes:

You can just make out Tango's Grandad - he's the one not wearing a flat cap.

tangocorner.jpg

Just found this same pic in Keith Farnsworths complete history of Wednesday 1867-1987. There's also some pics of the North Stand being built in 1962......actually..being a closet historian...can anyone tell me if the North was built in time for the 62/63 season?

Worth remembering about the crowds in those days that people would go to both Sheffield Wednesday and United matches, which is why they'd get stupidly big crowds.

I think it's more the fact that Football has priced itself away froma lot of "common folk"Also TV saturation is killing it as a spectacle. I'm not saying sky coveragehasn't improved the experience but it's gone too far. There is a live game onevery day of the week...

Just found this same pic in Keith Farnsworths complete history of Wednesday 1867-1987. There's also some pics of the North Stand being built in 1962......actually..being a closet historian...can anyone tell me if the North was built in time for the 62/63 season?

Yes it was formally opening by Sir Stanley Rous on 23 August 1961.

that corner used to be called the Kiddies Corner in the early sixties and had a shelf running along the outside that I used to stand on...had a great view from there...pity there isn't a photo

Golly you're even older than me!

Can you see it on here Eric Taylor in 1956

1956.jpg