First Wednesday Match Memory ?

Coventry away. All the excitement was extinguished after Dion Dublin scored after 2 minutes. Also remember Chris Woods putting every goal kick and free kick out for a throw in.

lost 2-0.

i think we had battered them at home earlier in the season to.

1-1 draw at Palace in early 1990. Worthington scored a fluke for us when the wind blew his cross into the net. Bright equalised for Palace in the second half, a few minutes before he got sent off. I went with my dad and Palace-supporting uncle, so we had to stand with the Palace fans on the open Holmesdale terrace. Despite being ten years old, I was so small that the guy on the turnstile let me in for free as long as I was carried on my dad's shoulder.

My first at Hillsborough was also against Palace. A 1-0 win in late 1994 with Bartman scoring the only goal.

The OP's game was in late '97. I remember being on the train back to London with a load of Palace fans who were in shock because they'd witnessed their first win at Hillsborough in more than 70 years. David Pleat has a lot to answer for...

1st was v wolves sept '59 2-2, we just came-up they were top of the tree.

a freind of our Ron Flowers played in that wolves team i have still got (somewere) to programmes he brought for me from floodlit games he played in at moscow ,dynamoes and spartack respectively can't understand them though

First Wednesday match I ever went to.....v Santos in October 1962. Have absolutely no memory of it, unfortunately.

First Wednesday game I can remember.....v Leyton Orient later that season. Pretty sure I must have gone to a few more in between but dunno!

First away game.....v Leicester City, Boxing Day 1964. My uncle was staying with us for Christmas and a mate of his turned up with his brand new car and wanted to take it for a spin. How about a trip to Leicester? So we went but didn't get there till about 10 past 3 by which time we were a goal up, a Dobson penalty I think. Finished 2-2.

I can certainly remember the Santos game as if it was yesterday. Firstly we were on the brink of nuclear war in the midst of the Cuban missile crisis- that concentrated the mind. The match itself was memorable for the sublime walking pace football played by Pele and his mates, the Pele penalty where he ran up, stopped and then rifled the ball into the roof of Springett's net after being flattened by Tony Kay, and a classic towering Bronco Layne header which gave us false hope we might get something out of the game.

lost at home 1-0 to Rotherham in 1966-7 season in the League Cup. It peed it down with rain and was on Lane end. my uncle had taken me to BARNSLEY wice before and we'd stood on the slack heap. No contest...never missed a game home and away for nest 6 seasons

lost at home 1-0 to Rotherham in 1966-7 season in the League Cup. It peed it down with rain and was on Lane end. my uncle had taken me to BARNSLEY wice before and we'd stood on the slack heap. No contest...never missed a game home and away for nest 6 seasons

At that time you had a choice whether or not you entered the League Cup, and we never had. That was the first season we entered, and we didn't last very long at all. It was a night match as I recall, and really very disappointing

At that time you had a choice whether or not you entered the League Cup, and we never had. That was the first season we entered, and we didn't last very long at all. It was a night match as I recall, and really very disappointing

SHOCKINGLY POOR made worse by Rotheram's lower league status....ah well...there was always the County Cup!

my first game was '79 vs Exeter must have been November/December we lost 1 nil. I think the next home game was the Derby but I wasn't allowed to go. I was in the south stand don't remember much about the game but what I do remember was the noise from the kop. I was hooked. My parents wouldn't let me go to the next home game which I'm pretty sure was the derby!!!! Gutted what a memory that would have been.

You sure about that? I can't remember ever losing 3-0 to Notts County, and I don't think we even played them between about 1981 and 1990.

We lost 3-0 to forest at home in 88/89, remember hodge and Webb scoring - mixed up notts teams maybe?

Was taken to a few before but first where i properly remember score/rs was v arsenal at home in 87/88.

3-1 up an merson got 2 late on to draw 3-3.

Arsenal fan to me dad on bus on way home "thought you fackin ad uz there mate"

Sheffield Wednesday 4 Manchester United 4 1974

thats the link above

Me too. Great to see that footage aswell. Not sure if I've ever seen that before. About the only thing I can remember is the police horses, the fighting on the kop and the stretcher bearers working non-stop. No wonder my Dad didn't want to take me. He was never really bothered about football so he took some persuading.

It is the only time I have ever sat on the back row of the North too.