First Wednesday Match Memory ?

Guest tha_knows

Sat on North stand around 96/97, we beat Everton 2-1, Don't remember who scored the first but I remember Hirsty scoring the second, and I'm sure big Duncun Ferguson got there's, also remember thinkin how both gk's had a rather large appearance, Pressman and Southall!

Sat on North stand around 96/97, we beat Everton 2-1, Don't remember who scored the first but I remember Hirsty scoring the second, and I'm sure big Duncun Ferguson got there's, also remember thinkin how both gk's had a rather large appearance, Pressman and Southall!

Might be the week i saw pressman as top goalkeeper in the mirror for premier another early memory

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

First match was a 5-0 home win in FA cup against Leyton Orient probably Jan 1985?

Remember one of the Orient players launching the ball over the south stand roof.

How far do want to go back? Lost 4-3 to Portsmouth Nov 52 believe it or not. Jackie Sewell had been signed the previous season for the British record transfer fee ( we were Massive even then) and was a current England regular no 10. I went every week after that and became " Jackie Sewell "in our playtime games at school, we were about six and only me was going to games. Guess what happened next? A new kid arrived in our class and Jackie lodged with their family on Wordsworth Ave or Chaucer Rd so obviously he adopted the name and I became somebody else which quite upset me at the time. Now I'm Jackie again on here.

Well good OP. I can remember snippets of me first game but I don't know exactly what it was, maybe someone can help? I was about 5 yrs old, which makes it 1968 or 69, I sat in the North towards Lep end. I seem to remember we scored three and won the game and I think David Ford had a shot which knocked the referee over. I also seem to recall the other team wore red, could it have been Forest? (I know there's a few basic facts I could've researched before posting) wish I could ask me dad but he died after our promotion winning season in 1984.

So can any old uns help me?

I never saw any of the goals, I had to ask me dad why he kept jumping up and down, d'oh!

April 74 Wednsday won 1-0 against Bolton - Ken Knighton on about 83 minutes.

Never realised until years later that if we lost we were relegated. I would say I was a lucky charm well if you discount Forest in 90 and Palace a couple of years ago.

Sat in North, my older sister asked why were we sat in here not stood up.

"Lots of swearing on the Kop" said my old man

"What more than in here" was my sisters reply

1956 or '57 Lincoln City in the second division. Think we beat them about 5 -2. I was barely school age and don't remember much other than what I thought was a huge number of people, and being passed down from the middle of the Kop, to the front. First game my dad, God rest his soul, took me to at Hillsborough, and I repaid him in 1996 by taking him to his last ever match when Turkey played Denmark in Euro '96.

April 74 Wednsday won 1-0 against Bolton - Ken Knighton on about 83 minutes.

Never realised until years later that if we lost we were relegated. I would say I was a lucky charm well if you discount Forest in 90 and Palace a couple of years ago.

Sat in North, my older sister asked why were we sat in here not stood up.

"Lots of swearing on the Kop" said my old man

"What more than in here" was my sisters reply

lol

Beating Oxford Utd 6-1, I think it was 1985.

Still got the match prog. somewhere with the scorers written on it.

Was my first day at Uni - absolutely gutted I missed the game. Held out for a couple more games then came back mid term to coincide with a match never missed another Saturday home game in my Uni years despite the miserly grant

Guest Consett owl

Can't remember 1st home game but 1st away game was memorable ......Cambridge in the seventies...transit van no seats in back no windows about 10 of us....got me hooked on the aways..

Cant remember the first game i went to but im positive i went to a few before this anyway, we where losing to reading 2-1 at halftime and i remember us having a really long team talk at halftime, it felt like we came out about 5mins after them, anyway we came out and whatever was said worked as we ended up winning 3-2, so thats my first memory of wednesday was about 5 or 6 at the time i think