First Wednesday Match Memory ?

Guest Athelstan

The first one I can remember is beating Mansfield 4-0 in the FA Cup in Feb 67.

I'd definitely been to others before that one, just can't remember them.

I also remember the game MAL mentioned.

Edited by Athelstan

Sometime around 76 i think but not sure! I would have been six and I walked on the kop late into the second half and stood behind the goal with my brother. All I can remember was that Chris turner was in the net and all the lads were singing about sammy. Me brother made me swear not to tell dad that we'd been to the match.

Feb 1981 v Oldham

We were in the West Stand, went up the steps and the game was already underway (missed the first goal actually, cheers Dad). Amazing view of the whole stadium, with Oldham in orange and the Wednesday in the famous blue and white that I'd only seen in pictures or on TV before. And there he was, in the flesh..the man who was already my hero, Terry Curran.

Lost 3-0 at home to Notts County I believe about 1988. Sat well up on the north stand with my dad and a few of his mates, for some reason we were sat with a few notts county fans and one spent what felt like the whole second half trying to convince me to be a county fan but I was having none of it.

You sure about that? I can't remember ever losing 3-0 to Notts County, and I don't think we even played them between about 1981 and 1990.

Wednesday 3 - 3 Coventry, 1986. 10 years old and was sat on South. Most vivid memory was seeing a spider spinning a web for 90mins in some guys hair sat in front of me. Very amusing.

........ i stand corrected, it was 2-2

Edited by S26UTO

Aston Villa 1-1. Boxing Day 1984. Just remember sitting on row 1 of North stand nearest to Lepp.

First proper memory was following season, opening game vs Chelsea. 1-1 again. Gary Thompson on the front cover of the programme. Boiling hot day, stadium packed (or seemed it to me).

Hooked from then on.

UTO :biggrin:

1967 beat fulham at home, sat in the north stand kop wing with my dad, i was 6, an old guy in his 60s or so a Fulham fan was sat in front of us, and all game was arguing with a guy sat behind us who kept leaning forward and pushing the old guys cap over his eyes whenever Fulham attacked, priceless memories

7 years old in the 1960-61 season. We were home to Spurs and we won 2-1. The year we came runners up to the double winning side. My memory tells me that Johnny Fantham scored the winning goal by running from the half way line and thumping the ball into the Tottenham goal.

Not sure what the crowd was but it was pretty 'massive'. The noise was frightening and I don't resally think I had a clue what exactly was going on but I was utterly mesmerised by the whole event and it has stuck with me like glue ever since. It was probably the most significant event in my life outside of the birth of my children; it has certainly led to a lifetime of emotional highs and lows and a genuine sense of belonging to something very special.

Thanks for taking me, Dad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Bingo owl

Unfortunatley my first game was crystal palace we lost 3 - 1 95 i think. i was sat with mi dad in top left of north stand the pitch felt massive an it was so loud from then on wednesday was my world whats your memorys ??

2nd april 1983 v rotherham away, bannister scored a brace I believe. poo poo away end at milmoor and remember struggling to get out of that poxy entrance! Just remember 'jackie charltons magic, he wears a magic hat, and when he saw the fa cup he said I'm having that - we got beat at highbury in semis to brighton! Sob sob.

Guest Bingo owl

My first game aged 10 was 31st August 1968 owls 5 v man utd 4 jack witham 3 John Ritchie 1 nobert stiles o.g.man utd side included Best,Law,and Charlton. Been hooked ever since uto, wawaw , wtid, OvO.

My first game aged 10 was 31st August 1968 owls 5 v man utd 4 jack witham 3 John Ritchie 1 nobert stiles o.g.man utd side included Best,Law,and Charlton. Been hooked ever since uto, wawaw , wtid, OvO.