Should Bywater go back in goal?

Reading the comments on here, our need for a quality CB should SB go back in goal? Maybe just in the short term? By all accounts Kirkland is playing really well, however, we're shipping two goals a game and you know their's going to be a time where we are going to pummel a team, hit posts and cross bars and the ball is not going to go in for us.

We've done brilliant so far by outscoring the last two teams, but how long can this go on for before luck turns against us? For all his faults, Bywater always comes across as an excellent organizer and maybe that's what our defence needs at the moment. Sure, we're may be looking for a new CB, but in the meantime should Bywater get his chance? How about in the cup to see what he can do and if their's any improvements. It seems that we're crying out for a leader at the back.

How do people feel that Kirkland does at commanding his box and organizing the defence?

Have you actually been to any games this season? For the first time in years, we have a quality keeper behind the defence. At Derby the woeful Gardner and Buxton were the reason we conceded two goals. Against Birmingham our full backs look dodgy, and yesterday Reda was shocking and for one of the goals Semedo gave the ball away, which ultimately led to us conceding a goal.

Kirkland has looked supreme and if he can stay fit can do the same job that Scott Carson and Ian Turner did for us, years ago.

But the question is why has Kirkland had to make these great saves? Keeping us in games?

He seems a very good keeper, but SB last season wasn't called "The Bystander" for nothing. How many clean sheets did he have? When you remove a voice/presence from the back and suddenly it's quiet back there and nobody is organizing, pointing out dangers ...... uncertainty creeps in as nobody is sure what the others are doing. The goalkeeper coordinates things like a conductor, he sees the dangers, and moves people around. Does Kirkland do this, is he that type of goalkeeper or is he a bit quiet and just does his thing and lets the defence do their's?

I think the fact we're a division higher playing better sides is the reason he's making the saves!

Madness!

We need someone to command the back four, not the area. Kirkland is being kept busy right now because nobody is taking charge at the back and it's not the keepers job to do that.

My point is, that for whatever reason we are shipping 2 goals a game at the moment and everyone would agree ..... it's not the best thing to do. But if their are no leaders at the back, the goalkeeper must take charge, command his area and marshall his defence and give them confidence. When their's nobody else, the goalkeeper is the last line of defence and therefore IMO he must take charge. It's his defence and he has to put them where he needs them the most. If they are doing things wrong and leaving him exposed, it's his job to tell them and make sure they don't do it again.

Kirkland gives out a rollocking as well as Bywater does. He's the best keeper we've had in a long long time.

We've gone up a division, brought in 11 new players, we're playing with 2 up top and two genuine wingers, one of our full backs didn't have a preseason and our main centre back purchase of the summer has picked up an injury and all the time we are still pushing forwards at every possible opportunity. Those are some of the reasons we have conceded a few goals. I think you're daft if you consider Kirkland to have been anything but excellent in those games.

My point is, that for whatever reason we are shipping 2 goals a game at the moment and everyone would agree ..... it's not the best thing to do. But if their are no leaders at the back, the goalkeeper must take charge, command his area and marshall his defence and give them confidence. When their's nobody else, the goalkeeper is the last line of defence and therefore IMO he must take charge. It's his defence and he has to put them where he needs them the most. If they are doing things wrong and leaving him exposed, it's his job to tell them and make sure they don't do it again.

You haven't been to any games have you?

Guest tha_knows

I was a big fan of Lee Grant, was gutted when we sold him, but Kirkland has been a top notch signing, I still believe if it wasn't for his injury record he would still be playing in the Premiership

I despair sometimes.

The op should have another look at the goals.

The first goal Reda was at fault because he left his winger in acre's of space, he inturn passed to the guy who scored. You have to take the good with the bad with Reda.

The second goal a miss hit pass from Semedo was picked up by a Millwall player, he in turn played the striker in behind Llera.

Kirkland was blameless on both goals, but don't let facts get in the way, let's blame the keeper.

We attack as a team, we defend as a team.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Have you actually been to any games this season? For the first time in years, we have a quality keeper behind the defence. At Derby the woeful Gardner and Buxton were the reason we conceded two goals. Against Birmingham our full backs look dodgy, and yesterday Reda was shocking and for one of the goals Semedo gave the ball away, which ultimately led to us conceding a goal.

Kirkland has looked supreme and if he can stay fit can do the same job that Scott Carson and Ian Turner did for us, years ago.

I'm not saying that he's not playing well and not a good keeper. But good keeper/shot stopper does not always mean he's a good organizer. He could make 50 blinding save and we lose 7-0. It's all about how the defence plays as a unit.

Somebody has to organize on the pitch, maintain the shape, point out the dangers, correct the mistakes. You can just say ..... oh leave it, not my job, not my responsibility, let wait until we get a new CB in. What happens if the CB doesn't come, what happens if a CB comes in and he's no better or worse than before?

Guest intercity0wl

I'm not saying that he's not playing well and not a good keeper. But good keeper/shot stopper does not always mean he's a good organizer. He could make 50 blinding save and we lose 7-0. It's all about how the defence plays as a unit.

Somebody has to organize on the pitch, maintain the shape, point out the dangers, correct the mistakes. You can just say ..... oh leave it, not my job, not my responsibility, let wait until we get a new CB in. What happens if the CB doesn't come, what happens if a CB comes in and he's no better or worse than before?

What the flip are you wittering about

think Bywater will be in on tues night as will a lot of others, give the first team a bit of a rest.

but drop Kirkland in the leauge are you daft? or just not been to any of the games? he has been outstanding so far and i dont think he has been at fault for any of the goals so far, maybe could have done better with the first yesterday but the saves he has been making have kept us in most games so far this season

But the question is why has Kirkland had to make these great saves? Keeping us in games?

He seems a very good keeper, but SB last season wasn't called "The Bystander" for nothing. How many clean sheets did he have? When you remove a voice/presence from the back and suddenly it's quiet back there and nobody is organizing, pointing out dangers ...... uncertainty creeps in as nobody is sure what the others are doing. The goalkeeper coordinates things like a conductor, he sees the dangers, and moves people around. Does Kirkland do this, is he that type of goalkeeper or is he a bit quiet and just does his thing and lets the defence do their's?

I think you raise a valid point.

But I disagree with it. The difference between this season and last isn't just the goalkeeper. Llera and Beevers are a new partnership and neither are very vocal. For all his faults Rob Jones marshalled the defence well. That, and the better forwards we are up against explains why more saves are needed to be made.

Guest tha_knows

Not wittering. The goalkeeper has the best view of the action and what happening in the game. But who's the best at this Kirkland or Bywater?

Bet you really wish you hadn't started this thread now do ya mate?

I live in Canada, so I'll leave you to do the Math on that one. This is why I asked if Kirkland was a good organizer and commanded his area in my OP.

:biggrin:

you are as bad as the ones that ring in to RS everyweek then. Have you been to the game today? no but i read a report in last weeks paper, the wife/son told me etc

in other words you dont know what you are talking about