Cogba to do well in championship

Guest BoomTownOwls

No!

I am just being realistic!

He may do a job for somebody at this level.....

But I always felt we wouldn't get promotion from League One with him in team so expecting him to be a revelation in the division above is just unrealistic.

I don't agree with the theory of the further you get up the ladder the more time you have on the ball. I think it's the better players create more time for theirselves or their team, it's easy to see when someone is out of their depth in a league as they don't get much time on the ball.

However I agree COG will do well, as long as he gets game time, which I don't think he will unfortunately.

It is a fact that some players do well the higher up the footballing ladder they play.

Look at for example, Varney. Some of his performances in the Premier were top notch and although he worked his knackers off for us, no-one thought he would put some of those performances in against top notch opposition. But....some players thrive once you take the blood and guts out of the reckoning and are allowed a bit more time on the ball to show their quality.

Cogba scored a right goal on the turn that I didn't have him down as being in his locker, so I for one do think he is trying to up his game and should be given a chance.

Guest kiltonowl

No!

I am just being realistic!

He may do a job for somebody at this level.....

But I always felt we wouldn't get promotion from League One with him in team so expecting him to be a revelation in the division above is just unrealistic.

Sorry but that is testicles.....Ranger did f-all in the scheme of things. O'Grady would have done better job, Jones admitted he didn't know the league or the players when he came in, so he decided to go with someone who had played a few games at a higher level. He now understands the power of COGBA!!

I don't agree with the theory of the further you get up the ladder the more time you have on the ball. I think it's the better players create more time for theirselves or their team, it's easy to see when someone is out of their depth in a league as they don't get much time......

I agree with you to a great extent here but there could be situations where you do get more time on the ball. If I could use the example of when I used to play 'pub' football:

The leagues that I used to play in were brutal where you got cluttered if you spent to much time on the ball, however, some of the better teams we played in the cups would let us have the ball but would stop you from playing by keeping a good shape, marking effectively and 'filling the holes' (eg sitting a player in front of the channel). More often than not we would select the risky or long pass and lose possession.

COG may see a lot more of the ball but he will have to work twice as hard to do something in this league when he is in possession.

Edited by shandypants

Timm, (nothing to do with COG as such) But I was total toilet in the Surrey and Hampshire leagues, doe's that mean I could improve in The Championship?

that's where england have been going wrong at successive world cups and european championships...

should have sent some pub players...

mind you, when we get to the penalty shoot out...

WE'D HAVE DONE FAR BETTER WITH PUB PLAYERS... :tango:

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

COG did OK last year and has done well in pre-season, that is all. Who knows what tomorrow brings?..(unless you are in the ITK posse).

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Its a know fact that you have more time on the ball in the championship, Cogba never had chance to show what he's got in the championship and I think he will score a far few with more time on the ball

he got more time on the ball the other night because...

1) he wasn't on from the start, and when he came on the 100% game oldham were playing had started to ebb...

2) he wasn't playing in the championship against another championship side, it was a third division side...

the guy needs to be left to find his own level, not every time something goes right for him, make him out to be be a new messi, or shearer...

give the guy time, he will prove to be good enough, or, end up at donny...