Think Antonios fee has been announced

You pay for potential. Antonio could be worth double that or more with one good season here. How much did Arsenal pay for Oxlade-Chamberlain? How much are Hudds asking for Rhodes? Players who've not 'done it' yet at the level they're being signed for can still be worth paying for. I don't think any of us thinks that Antonio will devalue over time....

It's not to dispute his potential, and he could go on to be worth 10 million before the season's out, in which case it would have seemed like a fantastic bit of business, but it doesn't change the fact that we've overpaid for him right NOW.

After all, it would appear we could've got him at the end of last season for about 700k, and now - if this figure is to be believed - we've had to pay almost half as much again, without even a competitive minute of football being played in between.

Reading knew just how much the club wanted him, and they certainly would've learned of just how much the fans wanted him and so they could hold out for more than what they would otherwise have got.

Like I say, he's got a lot of potential, and I'm chuffed we've got him, but we have paid more than what we should have needed to.

I think nearly 100% of people involved with Wednesday wanted this guy to sign so why are people fretting about the fee? We've got big time ambitions again now and I think we all need to change our collective mindset to reflect this. We're not scrimping about for freebies from the lower divisions any more.

The fact that we got Antonio outlines the club's new direction. Let's embrace it. We don't have to worry about the financial side of things any more! The Antonio signing is an example of how this club operates now. We got our man. How many times have we been able to say that over the past few years?

Guest hirsty9

There are a few posters that are miffed that we've paid £1m for Antonio. We have all seen him play , and if he carrys on playing like that he is going to be worth double or tripple what we paid for him . :tango:

Milan's not an idiot.

Antonio will be in the Premier League within the next 3 seasons. Either because he's got promoted with us or because we've sold him for an enormous profit. Either way, it's win/win for us and Milan will have known that at every stage of the negotiation process.

Ben Marshall was unproven above League 1 and Leicester stumped up Stoke's fee for him after we put in offers below what they asked and only matched that when Leicester put a bid in to that value and we are lucky nobody else has come in for Antonio while we have been negotiating and beat us to him aswell

Guest johnowls

So that's official then... flipping Sky Sports News ins and outs is now classed as the ultimate guide.... are people really that daft?

Besides, I'm pretty staggered that some fans still dont think he's worth it. The guy got us promoted. Good players are well worth investing in.

That's what i thought. i think the 1m is altogether with add ons with the initial fee of 750,000 - 800,000

Guest intercity0wl

That's what i thought. i think the 1m is altogether with add ons with the initial fee of 750,000 - 800,000

Around £600,000 according to this Reading local rag.

That £1m fee will be overall, 800k up front with 200k in add ons for appearances, goals etc..

I reckon this, I have absolutely nothing to base it on.

Taking everything into consideration if we're wanting to bring in players who can really compete at champ level I don't think its too bad.

He's already settled and we know he can perform so its not so much a gamble. If he lives up to last seasons performances I think he's good value.

Guest Leeswfc3

When was our last 1 million player? Was it kuqi?

Just been thinking the same mate, Not sure to be honest but it was a long time ago lol

Agreed, I don't think Milan will have needed to go above 750k up front. That's what Reading were wanting by all accounts.

Would be very surprised if they held out for 1M upfront. Nearly all deals have add-ons nowadays anyway, ours won't be any different. I can see it being 750k up front, with an extra 250k dependant on games played.

Yep.

Didn't we also pay 2 million for Jonk that Summer?

Think it was 2.5 for Jonk the season before. He must have been 34 ish at that point in time, The worst signing we have ever made IMO, How much was Alexanderson, O'donnell RIP was over £1 mill im sure.

Thus Antonio @ £1mill = bargain