Realistic Budget

Guest peter grummitt

Guest Big Guns

Think our wage budget was very roughly around the £5.5m mark, and this season, will be likely closer to £7.5m/£8m. So that'd leave £2m left for fees. Want to try again BG? I'm going £20m, to have a squad on paper, which is about the sixth best in the division.

Could be wrong with figures but reckon I'm in the rough ball park.

flip me im way out then im saying 30 million on fees and wages then, to stand a chance of automatic promotion

i thought it was about 3 million last season

flip me im way out then im saying 30 million on fees and wages then, to stand a chance of automatic promotion

i thought it was about 3 million last season

I could be way off, BG, but some quick maths and hearing United or Hudds were spending £7m led to me that.

Guest Big Guns

I could be way off, BG, but some quick maths and hearing United or Hudds were spending £7m led to me that.

reading your posts id say your probably right ,im sure they both spent a lot more than us last season didnt they?

reading your posts id say your probably right ,im sure they both spent a lot more than us last season didnt they?

That was what everyone thought but at the fan's forum MM did say that we had a higher budget than everyone but one team. I think he said the blades but don't quote me on it.

No, I thought he'd remembered the promotion but was demanding/expecting more of them along with lots of fans who seem to feel they are owed promotions, players and investment from Mandaric. It appears I misread his post, as I often do for which I am truly sorry and I shall of course slit my wrists as soon as humanly possible. But please feel free to carry on mocking with your ever so humorous googled face palm pictures.

Oh, OK then...

vic_bob_handbags.jpg

Excited about Antonio's arrival or concerned about the impact on the balance sheet folks?

Think our job is to get excited about the arrival and not worry about the B/S.

Only need to worry about finances if we've got somebody incompetent in charge.

No sign of that so far. Seems to know what he's doing.

Maybe the fans should give Paul Aldridge a huge round of thanks?

HaHaHa. Chance would be a fine thing. Somebody blamed him for not having already agreed personal terms and was personally holding the whole thing up. I think it was tongue in cheek.

Guest Distraught!

Think our job is to get excited about the arrival and not worry about the B/S.

Only need to worry about finances if we've got somebody incompetent in charge.

No sign of that so far. Seems to know what he's doing.

The danger being the apparent habit of selling onto those that may not be so careful with the finances! :sad:

There's no way Mandaric would put the clubs finances in jeopardy when he's always said he wants to move us and sell us for profit.

I've every faith in him, Aldridge and Jones to bring together a very competitive team this season.

We might be some way off being promotion contenders, who knows?

Either way, when you look back at some of the pre-seasons in recent years, it makes a brilliant change to be linked with some well known players with true ability.

UTO

The danger being the apparent habit of selling onto those that may not be so careful with the finances! :sad:

I think Pompey took the fall for everyone. Tightened up the regulations. Which I'm sure are not watertight. But made MM more wary about who he sells too.

As important as the profit to MM is, I think his reputation is key to himself too. He'll want to leave English football having made a profit, but also, having left a legacy. He'll want to see Leicester go up in the coming years too. That way, he can leave with his head held high, saying he helped restore two important clubs.

Of course, there's no guarantees. But whoever does buy us, is going to have to put up some serious cash of their own (MM's asking price + might struggle to debt finance against club). This means we should avoid the cowboys of previous times.

From afar, I like the Thais at Leicester. They keep what seems a low profile, they tried to buy the league & appoint a name. It went wrong, and within a short time, they appointed Pearson and realised the flaws in their transfer policy.

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Here's how I see our budget and transfer policy

If we signed 8 players capable of chasing promotion to add to some f the gems we already have (undoubtedly they would be on very decent money) it don't take a rocket scientist to see how much money can be p1ssed away real fast - I think Milan just delays deals where he can to save on wages - As appeared to be the case last pre-season as well.

If for instance he would have signed 8 players in the first 2 weeks after the season ended we would have sp unked over £1million in wages before the season even kicked off.

But Milan has also been piecing together a development squad as well, and on top of that we are seeing signings come in that had a fee atatched as well.

I think he's doing more than fine, I think the guy is very very schrewd and saves cash where he can.

Anyway love to you all I got a great feeling about this season WAWAW

Guest Distraught!

From afar, I like the Thais at Leicester. They keep what seems a low profile, they tried to buy the league & appoint a name. It went wrong, and within a short time, they appointed Pearson and realised the flaws in their transfer policy.

So at the same time you extol the virtue of Wednesday's transfer policy by maintaining a tight grip on the fee paid for a player that we have seen in action for a substantial period of time, a player that has become virtually idolized by sections of the fan base, a player that is making the "massive" step up of one division and a player that has been watched by several clubs

you also:

"Like" a consortium at another club that would sanction a seven figure sum for a player that has never honed his skills at any other level but non league?

I actually worry from that scenario alone what is in store for Leicester. If they do get promoted based on such financial controls, I can see another Pompey rolling out.

So at the same time you extol the virtue of Wednesday's transfer policy by maintaining a tight grip on the fee paid for a player that we have seen in action for a substantial period of time, a player that has become virtually idolized by sections of the fan base, a player that is making the "massive" step up of one division and a player that has been watched by several clubs

you also:

"Like" a consortium at another club that would sanction a seven figure sum for a player that has never honed his skills at any other level but non league?

I actually worry from that scenario alone what is in store for Leicester. If they do get promoted based on such financial controls, I can see another Pompey rolling out.

What's the contradiction? We're run on prudent principles, they're run on a slightly more profligate basis. Does every club have to be run on the same basis? Surely, you match your spending to your resources. I was told the - predominantly Thai - consortium was cash rich. If they are, and not tying debt, there's not a huge issue.

The operation only seems to be getting more sensible. Appointed an unglamorous manager and adopted a different transfer strategy. You choose to pick out one controversial signing. And not mention: Marshall, Drinkwater, Wes Morgan, the two Man Utd youngsters, who've all come in of late. The sort of sensible signings which get you out the league but don't break the bank, unlike Mills and co of last summer.

On Vardy, Pearson's been given a budget and he's decided to assign an amount of that to Jamie Vardy. I've seen a few clips of him play. I can't judge his value but I'd trust Pearson with my money - he left Hull with a few nice assets (mainly from Man U) and is doing the same at Leicester.

Guest Distraught!

What's the contradiction? We're run on prudent principles, they're run on a slightly more profligate basis. Does every club have to be run on the same basis? Surely, you match your spending to your resources. I was told the - predominantly Thai - consortium was cash rich. If they are, and not tying debt, there's not a huge issue.

My view is that we have been unnecessarily prudent and, in doing so, put at danger the possibility of bringing a key figure into the club. Mandaric's company (Football Holdings) that technically have ownership of the club are listed with net assets of over 70 million pounds. Granted, those assets will not be entirely cash or usable resources but the thought that such a holding company could not raise two to three million to invest in playing resources doesn't ring true with me. I think it would be entirely possible without raising the risk to unacceptable levels of strain.

Mandaric claims to have invested around 20 million in the club thus far. He must have done that with a target resale value in mind. He sold Leicester for 4o million (according to reports) so he would surely be looking at a similar or greater return from Wednesday. Also historically, when Wednesday struggle at the bottom of any league, crowds tend to bottom out at about 18K to 19K (sometimes less). It could also be shown that an upper mid table position will see such crowds increase to the mid twenty thousands with a few maybe topping 30K. That alone seems a strong case for targetted investment of 2 - 3 million. The uptake in seats alone would cover the expenditure let alone greater TV exposure and sponsorship income. There is also the factor of the demise of our South Yorkshire neighbours. With United and Donny falling by the wayside, there is the potential for uptake of floating support (there is and has always been floating support to be had). For many years, United have had the monopoly on the floaters because of the higher quality players and greater investment. That is no longer the case and we should invest in a few players able to attract such support.

The cynics would say, and indeed the negative side to all of this, would be regardless of investment, you cannot gurantee anything. But Mandaric like to show himself as a bit of a self styled football venture capitalist. VC's take chances and that is how they become wealthy. I would never advocate throwing silly money around. I keep repeating the same figures. I believe 2-3 million right now is wholly realistic and not overly fraught with danger. MM has got himself the best manager we've had at Hillsborough since the early 90's. He deserves and should get a reasonable budget to build with. MM will also, in my opinion, also benefit in no small way!

Guest Big Guns

Who's going to cry if we've paid more than 750k for Antonio that's it its,all over back to the dark days

flippingmuppets....