Deon Burton

Guest swfc8

Guest Sniper1

One of my favourite players was Deon.

Brian Laws f'ked up letting Deon go to Charlton.

Might have cost Lawsy his job in truth.

Loved how the ball would stick to him and how he brought other players in.

One of the best Wednesday performances was when Deon partnered Sodje up top and Tudgay was playing on the right V Burnley.

4-2 win i think first game of the season, then it all went wrong.

People who know f'k all about football will not like Deon because he didnt score many but peole who actually watch the

game will rate him.

People who know f'k all about football will not like Deon because he didnt score many but peole who actually watch the game will rate him.

Nothing to do with the number of goals he scored (or didn't)

Desire, effort and wanting to make the most of your talent is what I like to see.

The man was a waster and pi55ed his career up the wall.

Nothing to do with the number of goals he scored (or didn't)

Desire, effort and wanting to make the most of your talent is what I like to see.

The man was a waster and pi55ed his career up the wall.

Just because he seemingly promised more than he materialised doesn't make him a waster. What if your over estimating his potential? Maybe the Championship was a step too high for him to consistently perform at?

Watch the link up play/technique Burton displays for some of our goals (look on Youtube) and you see what a quality player he was.

Never a prolific goalscorer, but a technically excellent player.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Burton is one of those players that divides opinion, between those that understand the game, and those that don't.

Burton was a top player at that level, and it's no coincidence that he's made a good living out of the game.

A top player at a level where he never played for a top team and ultimately played most of his career at a level below where he was a top player?

Thank f00k you're not head of our scouting network.

He had brilliant technique but a lazy attitude and his movement off the ball was shocking.

An average Championship player and a good league one player that played a vital part in us staying up in the season he signed. That sums him up for me.

Presumably, most managers understand the game and they ultimately seemed to take a similar view.

The only clubs he really excelled at were Brentford and Rotherham. Says it all really......

Edited by BoomTownOwls

He started off at the top and worked his way down. He was extremely gifted but just didn't put the effort in.

Not as such, he was with Portsmouth in Division One and Derby signed him. Then played a few years in the Premier League, top scorer in one, then down to Division One with Portsmouth and promoted again.

Then has a season and a half in League One with Brentford and Rotherham and does well enough for Wednesday in the Championship to sign him.

Finishes top scorer in his two full seasons and is then told, after asking Laws, that he won't be getting a new contract at the end of the season so he takes the chance to move to Charlton who are fighting relegation.

Goes down with them into League One (at 33) and scores 13 to help them into the play-offs. Then decides to challenge himself in Azerbaijan, whatever you say about that he's still there after two years and has stuck to his decision.

Hardly a nosedive of a career.

Why do you think he was playing for Brentford & Rotherham in Division 3 in what should have been the best years of his career?

But you said he was a waster, implying he should be playing above that. Maybe div 3 was his level, and div 2 was a step too far. If you are a Div 3 player playing in Div2/3 , how is that a waster? Not everybody is prem class.

I rated Burton when he was here. As many people clearly state in this thread he had excellent control and good awareness, but even though playing upfront with Tudgay was one of the better partnerships of this decade it used to frustrate me. They were both hold up players and not finishers, which is why (partly the midfield) they didn't exceed 15 goals a season at any point. They were too similar in my opinion, but two intelligent players who gave many defences a headache.

I rated Burton when he was here. As many people clearly state in this thread he had excellent control and good awareness, but even though playing upfront with Tudgay was one of the better partnerships of this decade it used to frustrate me. They were both hold up players and not finishers, which is why (partly the midfield) they didn't exceed 15 goals a season at any point. They were too similar in my opinion, but two intelligent players who gave many defences a headache.

And in defence of Laws, the similarity of Burton and Tudgay will have been why he sought to create a more dynamic partnership up front by bringing in the likes of Clarke, Sodje, and, dare I even say, Jeffers.

In fact, I can think of 3 of our more memorable attacking performances from the season we let Burton go coming from the three of them: Burnley home and away, and Charlton at home.

Sodje in the season opener at home to Burnley where he scored two inside the first 20 minutes before going off injured. We won that game 4 - 1.

Clarke away to Burnley where he ran their defence absolutely ragged for 90 minutes in what was easily the best performance I saw him put in for Wednesday - he also scored 2, and we won 4 - 2.

Jeffers at home to Charlton, where I recollect Jeffers having an excellent game for us - the best I'd seen him play for us anyway. He also get a well-deserved goal that game, and we won 4 - 1.

I don't cite these examples to say what great players Sodje, Clarke, and Jeffers were for us, because they weren't. They all had poor fitness records, were inconsistent (to say the least), and when they weren't playing well, which was all too frequently, I'd even say they were a liability.

However, in those three games at least, they put in the type of performances that they were originally brought in to do, and brought to the team an attacking coherence and effectiveness that Burton and Tudgay as a front two could never offer between them.

The other point to make about those games is that Tudgay scored 2 goals in each of them (one game he was playing from midfield though), so I suppose it could be further argued for why breaking up that Burton/Tudgay partnership was, at least in principle, a sound-thinking idea.

And in defence of Laws, the similarity of Burton and Tudgay will have been why he sought to

create a more dynamic partnership up front by bringing in the likes of Clarke, Sodje, and, dare I even say, Jeffers.

In fact, I can think of 3 of our more memorable attacking performances from the season we let Burton go coming from the three of them: Burnley home and away, and Charlton at home.

Sodje in the season opener at home to Burnley where he scored two inside the first 20 minutes before going off injured. We won that game 4 - 1.

Clarke away to Burnley where he ran their defence absolutely ragged for 90 minutes in what was easily the best performance I saw him put in for Wednesday - he also scored 2, and we won 4 - 2.

Jeffers at home to Charlton, where I recollect Jeffers having an excellent game for us - the best I'd seen him play for us anyway. He also get a well-deserved goal that game, and we won 4 - 1.

I don't cite these examples to say what great players Sodje, Clarke, and Jeffers were for us, because they weren't. They all had poor fitness records, were inconsistent (to say the least), and when they weren't playing well, which was all too frequently, I'd even say they were a liability.

However, in those three games at least, they put in the type of performances that they were originally brought in to do, and brought to the team an attacking coherence and effectiveness that Burton and Tudgay as a front two could never offer between them.

The other point to make about those games is that Tudgay scored 2 goals in each of them (one game he was playing from midfield though), so I suppose it could be further argued for why breaking up that Burton/Tudgay partnership was, at least in principle, a sound-thinking idea.

Some great performances mentioned above, I'm glad that even though the players above aren't exactly going to go down in folklore we cam still remember the good times, because they were good times those games. I thought we were premier league bound after the 4-1 Burnley game (only to lose 4-1 at Wolves after).

Laws identified we needed a different partnership and the likes of Sodje was unplayable on his day. He was fantastic at times but his injury record was appalling. Which was a real shame or else he could have had such a better career, he used to frighten the living daylights out of defenders and I'll always remember his goal in the derby in front of the leppings lane Blunt fans.