Deon Burton

Guest swfc8

Guest foreverSWFC

Are you 12?

No.

I've been watching Wednesfay since 2001 and can't remember watching a striker as clever as him.

Waster.

Gifted player but just couldn't be @rsed. Started off at the top but during what should have been the best years of his career he was playing for Brentford & Rotherham.

100% this, very talented player who would play well, gradually get worse over the course of 4 games

Get demoted to subs bench, come off and be a world beater.

Get back in team after 4 games rinse and repeat.

A player who should look back on his career and think what if

Guest foreverSWFC

Waster.

Gifted player but just couldn't be @rsed. Started off at the top but during what should have been the best years of his career he was playing for Brentford & Rotherham.

Still, he did well for us as a player.

a striker who doesnt actually score goals

26 in 87 starts while not brilliant isnt to bad in such a crap side . andy mcculloch who's everyones favourite had a goal ratio pretty much the same playing in a far better team as did mike prendergast and no one will say he was crap .

If I remember Sturrock brought Deon and Tudgay , and then later Laws tried to upgrade with Sodje and Jeffers who were a pair of crocks, so had to revert to sturrocks pairing, deon's first touch was second to none, there can't have been many past of present that could take a ball down like he did just a shame he didn't have more pace, still got rid a year too soon.

I always really liked Burton.

Definitely released him a season to early and him and Tudgay were a good partnership in my opinion.

Always remember Burton smacking one in away at Stoke on boxing day a few years ago. Bit of pinball in the box and ball falls to Burton on the edge of the box and whacks it in bottom corner in front of us. I'm sure we were the first team to beat them at the Britannia all season.

Good days.

If memory serves me correctly, I think a fair amount of those goals were penalties.

Five out of his 26 were penalties.

In about 130 games. Not good enough.

A player with his technique and ability to find players in the way he did, as well as a decent amount of goals, won't end up in League One in his late twenties if there's no downsides to his game.

When you watched him play you could see his awareness was a class apart and Sturrock had almost no money to spend, so to bring him in was very shrewd.

Don't underestimate the part he played in keeping us up (through his link-up play, assists, experience and know-how in tough games) in 05/06. He and Tudgay brought a big upgrade in quality up front for us because before they came, Brunt apart, we had almost no source of goals.

He wasn't brought in as an out and out goalscorer - no time in his career had he suggested he was one (apart from a half season at Rotherham).

Joint-top scorer with MacLean on 13 in 06/07 - a season where we played some exciting and quite often winning football.

Yes people look at his laid-back demeanour but I can recall a lot of games where people were praising his work-rate - this does not necessarily mean charging around aimlessly but conserving it for the right moments.

He wasn't top class every week but he was absolutely money well spent.

Burton is one of those players that divides opinion, between those that understand the game, and those that don't.

Burton was a top player at that level, and it's no coincidence that he's made a good living out of the game.

Burton is one of those players that divides opinion, between those that understand the game, and those that don't.

Burton was a top player at that level, and it's no coincidence that he's made a good living out of the game.

That's why he was wasting his career at Rotherham when we signed him.

Guest foreverSWFC

Burton's hold up play was magnificent, he had class, like i said earlier the most intelligent forwards i've seen at Hillsborough.

Linked up with Tudgay very well, probably our best forward line in recent years. He won alot of freekicks, he knew exactly how to wind the defenders up and knew how to trick the referee. Scored aswell, good finisher, but he was not an out and out goal scorer, that wasn't really his game.

I liked Burton obviously had quality, but i do agree with some sentiments, perhaps if he applied himself a bit more he could have been a Premier League striker for a few extra years. But still a very good striker.

Guest foreverSWFC

That's why he was wasting his career at Rotherham when we signed him.

Wasting? He had scored 14 goals in the first half of the season, before he signed for us. Hardly wasting.