Deon Burton

Guest swfc8

Guest foreverSWFC

And in defence of Laws, the similarity of Burton and Tudgay will have been why he sought to create a more dynamic partnership up front by bringing in the likes of Clarke, Sodje, and, dare I even say, Jeffers.

In fact, I can think of 3 of our more memorable attacking performances from the season we let Burton go coming from the three of them: Burnley home and away, and Charlton at home.

Sodje in the season opener at home to Burnley where he scored two inside the first 20 minutes before going off injured. We won that game 4 - 1.

Clarke away to Burnley where he ran their defence absolutely ragged for 90 minutes in what was easily the best performance I saw him put in for Wednesday - he also scored 2, and we won 4 - 2.

Jeffers at home to Charlton, where I recollect Jeffers having an excellent game for us - the best I'd seen him play for us anyway. He also get a well-deserved goal that game, and we won 4 - 1.

I don't cite these examples to say what great players Sodje, Clarke, and Jeffers were for us, because they weren't. They all had poor fitness records, were inconsistent (to say the least), and when they weren't playing well, which was all too frequently, I'd even say they were a liability.

However, in those three games at least, they put in the type of performances that they were originally brought in to do, and brought to the team an attacking coherence and effectiveness that Burton and Tudgay as a front two could never offer between them.

The other point to make about those games is that Tudgay scored 2 goals in each of them (one game he was playing from midfield though), so I suppose it could be further argued for why breaking up that Burton/Tudgay partnership was, at least in principle, a sound-thinking idea.

Their fitness levels were awful, but they did have the ability. Players like that sum up our years in the darkness, talented footballers who were inconsistent and could not stay fit, thank god we seem to have moved on from that era, they were all very dodgy signings.

But, Sodje on his day was a real threat, he could scare the crap out of defenders, but again always injured.

Clarke had the ability, still does, but his poor attitude, injury record, laziness all cost him.

Jeffers showed glimpses of quality but was an absolute disaster signing. Seemed as if he just didn't want to score goals.

Burton and Tudgay were by far better players.

Waster.

Gifted player but just couldn't be @rsed. Started off at the top but during what should have been the best years of his career he was playing for Brentford & Rotherham.

Yep. Can't say I was upset to lose him, just thought he would move on and show others glimpses of what he was capable of but not do it on anything like a regular basis.