A Career In Pictures - Ashley Westwood

Guest celeste_owl

That was truly beautiful! When I've stopped crying, I'll have to get back to some work. More please.

We have had so many exceptionally gifted footballers, especially in the last 10 years, I feel it's necessary every now and then to celebrate these players, whose hard work and talent has built the solid foundations of our current success.

Glad people are enjoying this :-)

Welcome one and all to the much anticipated second edition of "A Career In Pictures"

After the critical acclaim of our great warrior Drissa Diallo, today's spotlight falls upon another central defender whose style and grace made grown men weep upon the terraces, a captain of doubtless courage and endless endeavour, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mr Ashley Westwood.

img_45e837b678aaf.jpg

Ashleys career began in 1994 with Midlands team Manchester United, where his youthful exuberance and evident talent led to him making zero appearances. The United fans went mental when he was sold to high-flyers and promotion rivals Crewe Alexandra, Eric Cantona described Westwood's sale as "A F*cking disgrace."

On signing for Crewe, Westwood took the number 29 shirt, as that was how many lovers he had taken in the previous week. He went on to league and cup glory with Crewe, winning several games and losing just as many.

0,,10414~575336,00.jpg

Glory soon followed. After a spell on loan with Benfica (Where Ash saw himself paired upfront for a while with future teamate Lloyd Owusu) Westwood was snapped up by Sleeping Giants™ Sheffield Wednesday. His lumpen gait and confused feet were no obstacle to his achievements at the club, scoring several wonderful own-goals, whilst generally being out of position and slothful. Westwood's influence upon the club was great, attracting several other excellent players to the club, like Phil King, Barry Horne and Joao Pinto. Westwood and Pinto shared a flat for a while above a popular bookmakers, where they would dress in old Eusebio shirts, play Subbuteo and eat cheese and onion toasties.

439a5d78-a252-409a-b96c-77038c88864e.633597492560000000.jpg

An England callup was the obvious next step for Westwood, here he is making the first of 19 appearances for the London-based club, a 2-0 demolition of Grenada. Fellow Wednesday team-mates Michael Reddy and Derek Geary with the goals that day. Westwood's only International goal came in a friendly against Guinea-Bissau, a 19 yard shinroller that looped over Sheffield Wednesday teammate and Guinea-Bissau goalkeeper Leigh Bromby .

AshleyWestwood_563416.jpg

But Westwood was a creature destined for bigger things- Hillsborough could not temper his burning flame for ever. A summer move to Italian giants Roma saw him finally reach his potential, going on to play over 100 games for the Milan-based club, and pipping Abel Balbo to the Fan's Player of the Year Award in 2002. His defensive partnership with Brazilian Aldair was described by Italian legend Danny Dichio as "Like watching two elegant gorilla-men killing lots of other lesser men, with a football involved" Upon receiving his Italian citizenship, Westwood married the fittest Italian model-lady ever, and Roma's fans awarded him ownership of Vatican City, a property dispute that still rumbles on to this day.

Ashley+Westwood.jpg

But time and tide waits for no man, even a man as gifted as Ashley. A tearful farewell to the Azzuri saw Ash return to Crewe, seemingly reborn as a central midfielder. His time in Italy has seen an improvement to his technical skills, and Westwood currently combines games for Crewe with a role as player/manager at Northampton.

Will he ever return to Hilssborough? who knows. Will we ever see a defender of his calibre again in the blue and white stripes? No. Will there ever be a better defender? Well, can 2 men make a baby? An Ashley Westwood/Drissa Diallo crossbreed is possible I suppose, but not in our lifetime.

Brave ex-Sheffield Wednesday warrior, we salute you!

comedy gold

mate you should seriously be writing some of this as a sketch show or something, the worlds best football agent or something like that parts of this actually made me cry. In a nutshell GENIUS :tango: :tango: :tango:

Already on it

Nice one. It still puzzles me why Owlstalk doesn't actually have a website front end where stuff like this, Asteener's poems, gifs and stuff from the picture threads doesn't get preserved in an easy to find location. As a fanbase we tend to be a funny lot, would be great if we had a site to find all that without "losing" threads on Owlstalk.

Can you work on that, too? :tango:

Guest foreverSWFC

Brings a tear to the eye reading about a true Wednesday great. What happened to the days of international quality centre halfs pulling on the blue and white?