Megson - Best win ratio for a full time SWFC manager in the last 50 years!

Guest lamort

I didn't say that I was replying to your post saying that it was to be expected that he had a high win ratio in div 3, I was simply pointing out that a Wednesday legend that got us promoted from the old div 3 had a WORSE win ration and so your argument didn't hold water. PLUS in many other seasons the win ratio GM has acheived would have seen us clear in an automatic place at least. So your rather negative view of GM's acheivement is over critical to say the least... I thnk you have a very unrelaistic view of where we are with the squad we have, GM has does a great job so far and very quickly too.

Was also going to point out that I would expect Div one to be no difference from the championship and also the prem (to a lesser extent) as there would be an increased player budget and therefore better players so the expectation would be the same... Why woudn't it... why would it be less in this division with a budget alligned to this division. It's all relative to the division you;re in and the player budget you have...

I don't think we would have a budget to compete with the top 3 in the Premiership!

I don't even think we would have a budget to compete with the top 6 in the Championship when you take into account parachute payments for the relegated clubs.

Another table showing Trevor Francis as the best top flight manager we had in the modern era!!

Aren't we all glad we sacked him for finishing seventh?!!

We didn't.

Going into the last game of 1994/5 we were still not mathematically safe from relegation, there was well reported unrest in the dressing room between him and the players and large numbers of the fanbase were chanting for him to be removed at every game. The board had little option.

Why does this myth persist? Seems like I denounce it at least once every six months.

We didn't.

Going into the last game of 1994/5 we were still not mathematically safe from relegation, there was well reported unrest in the dressing room between him and the players and large numbers of the fanbase were chanting for him to be removed at every game. The board had little option.

Why does this myth persist? Seems like I denounce it at least once every six months.

I remember it finally coming to fruition with the crowd when Forest hammered us 7-1 at home.

Also, never forget it was also the time of the infamous Hillsborough Mole....

Guest GodsanOwl

We didn't.

I'm sorry, it appears it was after the season we finished 13th not 7th in the Premier League! We then appointed succesive poo managers, where are we now exactly?

Screenshot just in case people couldn't be bothered to click the link then click on win %, even though it's a little out of date

OebKa.jpg

vic buckingham arguably our 2nd most successful manager finished 6th in the top flight 3 seasons running , got us to the quarter final of a european comp and we sacked him .........think we must have had bigger expectations back then .

I'm sorry, it appears it was after the season we finished 13th not 7th in the Premier League! We then appointed succesive poo managers, where are we now exactly?

Are you still suggesting that our recent plight can all be traced back to that one decision (which the board were forced to make anyway)?

I've never understood the compulsion for some people to take a web of complex inter-related events and arbitrarily distil them into a single cause, like the much quoted 'turning point' of many football matches.

Are you still suggesting that our recent plight can all be traced back to that one decision (which the board were forced to make anyway)?

I've never understood the compulsion for some people to take a web of complex inter-related events and arbitrarily distil them into a single cause, like the much quoted 'turning point' of many football matches.

I'm sure I read something once regarding chaos theory and turning points in sports having a direct effect on the outcome.

Think I read it with regards to the Huigita scorpion kick save at wembley, whereby after that the game petered out into a draw based on that one event.

I'm sure I read something once regarding chaos theory and turning points in sports having a direct effect on the outcome.

Think I read it with regards to the Huigita scorpion kick save at wembley, whereby after that the game petered out into a draw based on that one event.

There's no doubt that individual incidents can have a pivotal effect, but more often than not I suspect they are randomly used as excuses, as if those involved were mere pawns of fate and were thus rendered powerless. Managers will often point to bad refereeing decisions or occasions of misfortune, yet it can become something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like people persuading themselves that they only have bad luck (Unitedites in big games might have a point though :biggrin:); they basically choose to forget many of the times when things go in their favour.

Yes, I read the same article.

It also mentioned United hitting the cross bar. lol

I didn't say that I was replying to your post saying that it was to be expected that he had a high win ratio in div 3, I was simply pointing out that a Wednesday legend that got us promoted from the old div 3 had a WORSE win ration and so your argument didn't hold water. PLUS in many other seasons the win ratio GM has acheived would have seen us clear in an automatic place at least. So your rather negative view of GM's acheivement is over critical to say the least... I thnk you have a very unrelaistic view of where we are with the squad we have, GM has does a great job so far and very quickly too.

Was also going to point out that I would expect Div one to be no difference from the championship and also the prem (to a lesser extent) as there would be an increased player budget and therefore better players so the expectation would be the same... Why woudn't it... why would it be less in this division with a budget alligned to this division. It's all relative to the division you;re in and the player budget you have...

It is possible I have unrealistic expectations.

However the quality of the squad is not a finite quantifiable thing. Who is to say that our squad is under performing or over performing? Who can give the definitive answer on that?

I am merely pointing out that to compare megson's win ratio to managers from the premiership and the championship is contorting statistics to benefit a certain standpoint. To argue any different is like saying black is white.

Megson has a relatively high budget compared to our competitors. I can't remember the last time we had a budget that was as high in relative terms. Also, megson has been backed be Milan more than most managers before him.

Edited by Beholder

the table also shows Laws as a better manager then KPS :st2:

not much between them for me .... sturrock got us up but never got us in the top half of the championship something laws did twice and he left us in the same position as when he arrived both decent managers but not in the top echelons of the last 50 years probably due to the fact that neither had a pot to p1ss in .