Last Night's Match

Struggling to understand what Megson gained from last night's match other than to confirm for about the 100th time that some of our squad players aren't good enough for the challenge ahead. But we already knew that.

As soon as I saw the line up prior to kick off, the result and pattern of play was inevitable, it was like bloody groundhog day.

Gary, you already know your best 11 as things stand. Barring injuries, please continue to play our strongest line up so they can be as prepared as possible for the big kick off. Nothing games against non-league teams excepted of course.

Guest intercity0wl

GM like most managers says that the resuts are not that important in these games, getting more competitve match minutes under the belt is, and if it answered one niggling question in his mind, whether positive or negative , about certain players or a certain matchday options, sittuation, set peice etc then last night WAS worth it.

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Megson will have found out more about his team last night than he did on Saturday against Leeds. It was a beneficial exercise which reaffirmed that some of our fringe players aren't good enough and that we need to improve our squad further.

You can always gain something from every experience- wheter it be positive or negative. Some would argue that you learn more in defeat than you do in victory. I think this was very much the case last night.

Struggling to understand what Megson gained from last night's match other than to confirm for about the 100th time that some of our squad players aren't good enough for the challenge ahead. But we already knew that.

As soon as I saw the line up prior to kick off, the result and pattern of play was inevitable, it was like bloody groundhog day.

Gary, you already know your best 11 as things stand. Barring injuries, please continue to play our strongest line up so they can be as prepared as possible for the big kick off. Nothing games against non-league teams excepted of course.

Sounds as if it was an opportunity for some of the second string to shine; but they didn't so will remain second string, no-one staked a claim for a first team slot.

Pre season friendlies are used to gain fitness, and to gain an understanding of the new players, players roles, tactics and squad depth. It matters not if you win or lose; what matters most is that the manager has had questions answered. What the questions are depends entirely on who plays and what the manager wants to gain from the experience.

Last night for instance we played with, what some might consider, a second string defence. A midfield that could be selected due to injuries or suspensions. A trialist [Admond] as striker. The questios that were answered last night are that we are weak, in-depth, in midfield and this allows the opposition to attack our back 4 more easily. With a weakened back four in addition to this, we struggled against a side with good passing and movement, and we got opened up.

Like the OP mentioned, Gary knows [like we do], what the best starting 11 is. However, changing the squad for what was nothing more than a friendly game, allows the manager to see where improvements are needed. Going to Milan and saying "We need new players" is all well and good, but answering Milans question of "what is your buniess case?" with "Erm....you are loaded!", isn't exactly going to hit the spot. At least now he can say "Well Milan, we are weak in-depth in these areas....".

It isn't about winning [although it is nice to do so]. It is about taking the opportunity to try different things, in a match that is meaningless, and knowing the outcomes well in advance of when they may be needed.

I was thinking more of all those Wednesday fans who paid out good money and maybe thought that they would see a half decent effort from our first team. Hats off to those who went. Reading the comments on here yesterday, many were predicting a strong defensive performance but when the team sheet was announced the mood definitely changed.

Its a shame we lost but at least Megson A) Gave some of the youngsters some game time B) took his time to see if Ammond was worth a punt and C) now knows that some of the younger lads aren't up for stepping up just yet and players defintely need to come in. At least he hasn't (as yet!!!) brought in a group of players that look good on paper,so far he's brought in players that look good on the pitch.

I was thinking more of all those Wednesday fans who paid out good money and maybe thought that they would see a half decent effort from our first team. Hats off to those who went. Reading the comments on here yesterday, many were predicting a strong defensive performance but when the team sheet was announced the mood definitely changed.

I went, and I went to support my team. Yes I wanted us to win last night, but the bigger picture is how we do this season. If it means the manager making some tactical changes, for one meaningless game, to see how the squad opperates, then I am happy to have paid £12.00 to watch our second string team. I would much rather he do this now, then half way through the season in an important game.

Anyone who goes to a pre-season friendly knows the team will be a mix of youth, new and existing players. You just have to take the whole thing with a pinch of salt and laugh about it. League games however, are a completely different thing.

Guest intercity0wl

Which is exactly why i would not pay 12 quid to watch a glorified training session, and surely thoses who did know the score with these sorts of games ?, and can have no complaints, whatever the team, result.

Having said that i am becoming bored of the close season now, and carn't wait to start spending again, and going to watch real stuff in ten days time.