100% CORRECT, BACK HIM NOW

Guest intercity0wl

I'm still of the opinion that the new clubs of some of these players contributed to this, in part at least.

It's no coincidence that all of them were announced as signing with new teams less than 24 hours after we let them go.

The coincidence might be due to us paying up the remainder of their contracts?

or not making an announcement until firm offers came in?

We'll probably never know for sure, but we wont have gotten away scot free.......we didn't get a transfer fee for Morrison so we certainly lost out there.

Guest intercity0wl

The coincidence might be due to us paying up the remainder of their contracts?

or not making an announcement until firm offers came in?

We'll probably never know for sure, but we wont have gotten away scot free.......we didn't get a transfer fee for Morrison so we certainly lost out there.

On July 8, 2011, Morrison joined League One side Charlton Athletic on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

On July 8, 2011, Morrison joined League One side Charlton Athletic on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

Megson mentioned in an interview recently(which sadly I can't find, I'm sure I read it this morning)......where he was justifying signings by saying he'd reduced the wage bill and received £200k for Tommy, but no mention of any transfer fee for Morrison.

So I'm taking the 'undisclosed fee' as somewhere between £0 and not worth mentioning.

Edited by Weshallovercome

Megson mentioned in an interview recently(which sadly I can't find, I'm sure I read it this morning)......where he was justifying signings by saying he'd reduced the wage bill and received £200k for Tommy, but no mention of any transfer fee for Morrison.

So I'm taking the 'undisclosed fee' as somewhere between £0 and not worth mentioning.

Charlton could have assumed the costs remaining due to Leicester. I doubt we'd paid off the full transfer fee during his brief six month spell with us.

Unfortunately the squad inherited by Megson was far too big, lacked any sort of balance and all players were in contracts. I for one am amazed that we've managed to cut as much as we have, which will now at least allow us to compete with getting players in and not going over our budgets.

I'm delighted Milan is keeping a tight reign on it as I don't want us to get into the same position we were in before Milan came in. The thing what's really irritated me was Milan backed our manager in January with a very large amount of cash and it was simple wasted, apart from the Madine signing, by Irvine. That's Milan mistake so far, keeping and backing Irvine, although I can fully understand why he did so, so no blame attached really.

It will take time to get it right, but I still expect us to be challenging up around the top six all season. I fully expect us to have 3/4 new players in by kick off and I'm sure Milan will back Megson throughout the season in the loan market and in January when the window re-opens.

Some people need to have some patience. As the saying goes... Rome wasn't built in a day.

We had to knock our rumbleer down first, then start building though, which has made it harder and more expensive.

very nicely put, personally be happy with a couple now then a couple of good loanees

Guest mrbluesky

Posted in another thread...

There's obviously an underlying problem here GM saying we`re short on players MM confidant we can make a go of it this season, so reading between the lines i`m guessing "that's yer lot" from Mandy and "Not enough" from Megson,So where do we go from here for me the biggest giveaway is the Mellor debacle Megsons told "next three days" its now been three weeks, I think the possibility could be that the purse strings have been tightened for one reason or another we are after all in a very unusual/unique financial climate just ask them on t`ther side of city.

Really hope im wrong

I think this comes down to fan expectation - and i'm pleased GM is shooting straight rather than spreading false optimism.

The trouble isn't down to either the manager or chairman - it's to do with ridiculous player demands for very mediocre talent.

I have no problem with us having a plan and sticking to it rather than keep giving in to player demands - somebody has to take a stand and lets not forget it was the type of "speculate to accumulate" attitude and splashing cash we didn't have that has seen us in the doldrums for so long.

It may sound pathetically corny but i want to see players wear our shirts with their hearts bursting with pride at the club they are representing - players who will run til they drop and players who realise the honour bestowed upon them - not 11 lickspittles who are here cos it's the best deal they could get and they must remember to phone their agent after the game because he's putting feelers out for a more lucrative move - oh and there's the Porsche and Ferrari test driving tomorrow.

I think fans collectively need to ope their eyes and rea;lise the root of all the problems in the game is player wages and until they come into the bounds of being reasonable then nearly all clubs are at the mercy of the mercenaries. And we have seen all to closely where that road leads to.

If we're standing against that and signing players on a firmer basis than "the chairman should stick hois hand in his pocket and pay the going rate" - because that way if everybody carries on the same way then the "going rate" will always be way too high.

I'm prepared for the long game because it might take longer to arrive we'll be way stronger for it - and way stronger than the competition

Great post Scram. I'm in agreement with everything stated above. The club from top to bottom was a complete mess when MM took over last December, we need to continue correcting and improving both on and off the field but it will take time. I have total confidence in the chairman and manager but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I would rather us miss out on signings than throw silly amounts of money around and not be any better for it. I want to see player's wearing the shirt with pride and giving 100%, actually wanting to be here.

Edited by Danish

looks like its hand in the wallet time methinks, if Milan wants promotion he is going to have to spend '

Question is, who is going to want to sell anyone who is any good at this late stage? If they do they will no doubt hike the prices as they will know we are desperate. Probably end up with another Jeffers!

Guest mrbluesky

Great post Scram. I'm in agreement with everything stated above. The club from top to bottom was a complete mess when MM took over last December, we need to continue correcting and improving both on and off the field but it will take time. I have total confidence in the chairman and manager but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I want to see player's wearing the shirt with pride and giving 100%, actually wanting to be here.

Sorry but those days are gone my friend

Guest Saturday Owl

Sorry but those days are gone my friend

Not if we go out and choose the right players. I have full faith in the chairman and manager to get it right over the next few years.

Do you think GM/MM were wrong to state how many players we were after and then to name names.looks like some of main targets are not and never were coming and were unrealistic in the first place.does this put pressure on the players we end up with, been seen as second choice or panic buys.remember

I agree - too much talk and not enough action for me. The targets should have been pressed to commit sooner so that the balance of thinning out the turds could have run in parallel with bringing new players in. Now we are in the situation where we are desperate to get the final pieces in. Seems a tad short-sighted to try and haggle for a couple of tens of thousands of pounds to lose out on players, only to pay more for second choice targets a couple of weeks later. Wonder if it would every be possible to quantify the value in terms of revenue to the club of having the "buzz" factor of optimism about the club - i.e. that which comes from investment in players.

Guest mrbluesky

Because we've allowed it to happen and just given in to agents and players and put our clubs in serious peril by doing it.

True Scram but like you say its "Clubs" and over inflated wages, other teams have the exact same choice you either pay or the agent touts to find another club, this will always be until things change radically,

I think you could possibly take the Mellor situation as an example, Megson wants his man negotiations take place fee is agreed stumbling block is wages agent will have already spoke to several clubs about Mellor but no mention in the media as we are negotiating then when they break down hey presto! the media reports of other interested clubs this intern puts pressure/calling Mandys bluff to the fore and now we have a waiting game.

Guest mrbluesky

Not if we go out and choose the right players. I have full faith in the chairman and manager to get it right over the next few years.

MM cannot afford to wait that long be assured of that.

Guest King Mong

I think this comes down to fan expectation - and i'm pleased GM is shooting straight rather than spreading false optimism.

The trouble isn't down to either the manager or chairman - it's to do with ridiculous player demands for very mediocre talent.

I have no problem with us having a plan and sticking to it rather than keep giving in to player demands - somebody has to take a stand and lets not forget it was the type of "speculate to accumulate" attitude and splashing cash we didn't have that has seen us in the doldrums for so long.

It may sound pathetically corny but i want to see players wear our shirts with their hearts bursting with pride at the club they are representing - players who will run til they drop and players who realise the honour bestowed upon them - not 11 lickspittles who are here cos it's the best deal they could get and they must remember to phone their agent after the game because he's putting feelers out for a more lucrative move - oh and there's the Porsche and Ferrari test driving tomorrow.

I think fans collectively need to ope their eyes and rea;lise the root of all the problems in the game is player wages and until they come into the bounds of being reasonable then nearly all clubs are at the mercy of the mercenaries. And we have seen all to closely where that road leads to.

If we're standing against that and signing players on a firmer basis than "the chairman should stick hois hand in his pocket and pay the going rate" - because that way if everybody carries on the same way then the "going rate" will always be way too high

I'm prepared for the long game because it might take longer to arrive we'll be way stronger for it - and way stronger than the competition

I agree. But, if that is the case, then Milan needs to take the pressure of himself, and Gary, and come out and say it.

We as fans, bought into the promises made by the board about assembling a competitive squad we'd be proud of, and while the outgoings were expected, and the incomings have been good signings on paper, we are still woefully short with the season fast approaching. Let's be frank, the side we currently have is not going to worry 50% of the league.

By making these promises - they have pushed expectations - that is there own doing. And now, the manager is expressing concerns about not having a competitive squad, and the chairman, is now saying we are struggling to attract players. I think both are now subtely lowering expectations.

A bit of direct honesty and a show of unity from manager and chairman would be great right now. If Milan keeps saying we are signing this player and that. And they don't happen, people will rightfully question him. The manager has already placed himself in a position where he can't be touched regardless of results, simply due to not having the squad he thought he would have.

And I don't buy this 'he saved us'. He's a business man, he's in this to make money, and the only way he'll do this is to get us up. Saving the club from admin was only a small part of the task - to truly save us he needs to carry out what he said he would do and get us promoted, and pushing for the Championship. And that is where his

motivation should be. For his sake, and our sake, I hope things do happen over the next 3 weeks.

I agree. But, if that is the case, then Milan needs to take the pressure of himself, and Gary, and come out and say it.

We as fans, bought into the promises made by the board about assembling a competitive squad we'd be proud of, and while the outgoings were expected, and the incomings have been good signings on paper, we are still woefully short with the season fast approaching. Let's be frank, the side we currently have is not going to worry 50% of the league.

By making these promises - they have pushed expectations - that is there own doing. And now, the manager is expressing concerns about not having a competitive squad, and the chairman, is now saying we are struggling to attract players. I think both are now subtely lowering expectations.

A bit of direct honesty and a show of unity from manager and chairman would be great right now. If Milan keeps saying we are signing this player and that. And they don't happen, people will rightfully question him. The manager has already placed himself in a position where he can't be touched regardless of results, simply due to not having the squad he thought he would have.

And I don't buy this 'he saved us'. He's a business man, he's in this to make money, and the only way he'll do this is to get us up. Saving the club from admin was only a small part of the task - to truly save us he needs to carry out what he said he would do and get us promoted, and pushing for the Championship. And that is where his

motivation should be. For his sake, and our sake, I hope things do happen over the next 3 weeks.

Well said. I've been saying something similar. There have been a few mixed messages and in a nutshell, we cant just sit back revelling in the fact we were saved from admin, we need to push on as Milan will continue to lose money in this league.

Got to speculate to accumulate.

Jesus Christ.

Have we learnt nothing?

We presumably have a budget. We got into this horrible pit of despair because of a failure to stick to realistic budgets, and now we have fans saying speculate to accumulate?

I think there are a few people going a bit OTT about the lack of signings so far.

On paper, our starting 11 is pretty strong, with a solid spine; Weaver, Jones, Prutton, Semedo, Madine.

Yes, we still need to strengthen a couple of areas, but there is still a lot of time between now and the window closing. Yes, it would be good if we could get all our players brought in at the start of pre-season, but how many teams actually manage this in league one?

We are three players short of a strong squad. There is almost three weeks until the season kicks off, and the players we are looking at signing will be getting pre season fitness at their current clubs.

The squad we have now, is much better than the squad we had twelve months ago. The difference that our new central midfield will make alone is good for many extra points this season.