100% CORRECT, BACK HIM NOW

Guest intercity0wl

Jesus Christ.

Have we learnt nothing?

We presumably have a budget. We got into this horrible pit of despair because of a failure to stick to realistic budgets, and now we have fans saying speculate to accumulate?

You know exactly what I meant by that.

I didn't say "lets spend a poo poo load of money and wrack up a huge debt."

However, if you can honestly tell me that this current side will get us up - without some further spending - then you're either full of poo poo, or just trying to have an argument for arguments sake.

I'd also suggest that we will lose money if we stick around in the THIRD TIER of English football for much longer.

I have no idea whether this side would be able to get up, as football is a strange beast. I doubt it, but its obvious we are still trying to sign players, so I also doubt this is the squad that will start the season for us.

I guess it comes down to a choice. Do you set out a budget, and then stick to it? Or do you ignore the budget as soon as things aren't going your way, and hope that your gamble pays off, even though you've just spent the last 12 years paying for the last gamble that didn't pay off?

At the extreme we could go out and spank £5m on fees, and £10m on the wage bill, it would guarantee nothing other than that we'd be in the red at the end of the season. Maybe we'd go up - but if any set of fans should know, its us; paying top whack for players doesn't make them any better than they are, it just makes them richer than they were before they joined us.

Personally I'd rather we tried to drive a hard bargain and get players for realistic prices. Whats the point of having a budget if you don't stick to it?

Guest intercity0wl

I think there are a few people going a bit OTT about the lack of signings so far.

On paper, our starting 11 is pretty strong, with a solid spine; Weaver, Jones, Prutton, Semedo, Madine.

Yes, we still need to strengthen a couple of areas, but there is still a lot of time between now and the window closing. Yes, it would be good if we could get all our players brought in at the start of pre-season, but how many teams actually manage this in league one?

We are three players short of a strong squad. There is almost three weeks until the season kicks off, and the players we are looking at signing will be getting pre season fitness at their current clubs.

The squad we have now, is much better than the squad we had twelve months ago. The difference that our new central midfield will make alone is good for many extra points this season.

Totaly agree that the squad is already stronger, both mentally , and ability wise than it was last season, BUT would being able to battle our way to some extra clean sheets, coupled with hard earned away draws mean we could pick up the extra 35 points we would have needed last season to claim the second automatic spot ?, i doubt it myself.

We still need to add that endeavour and pace to make things happen up front imo, Megsons recent "im getting frustrated" comments show that he knows all too well that we will be very hard to beat this season, but at the same time will find it very hard to win.

Totaly agree that the squad is already stronger, both mentally , and ability wise than it was last season, BUT would being able to battle our way to some extra clean sheets, coupled with hard earned away draws mean we could pick up the extra 35 points we would have needed last season to claim the second automatic spot ?, i doubt it myself.

We still need to add that endeavour and pace to make things happen up front imo, Megsons recent "im getting frustrated" comments show that he knows all too well that we will be very hard to beat this season, but at the same time will find it very hard to win.

There were many times last season where added steel would have won us games we drew, such as yeovil at home. And times when we would not have capitulated like at exeter.

We do need more options in attack, but there is no way we will start the season with just two recognized forwards.