Sponsored byGo back to get ahead, JJ is told

gary megson is urging Jermaine Johnson to push his career forward by taking some steps back.

The Owls manager believes that the winger can be even more of an attacking threat if he also concentrates more on his defensive duties.

Megson feels that when JJ drops back, he can also receive the ball in deeper positions, so has more room in which to launch forward runs.

It seems that the winger is at his most effective when playing on the same side of the pitch as the technical area and within earshot as his boss dishes out orders.

Megson explained: “I’ve spoken to JJ about it....he’s capable of winning games single-handed, but the stuff he does when he’s on the far side from me is capable of causing us problems. He has to use his talent and the threat that he poses to other teams within the framework of our team.”

The Owls chief cites the last game of the season, against Exeter, as an example.

“When he was in front of me, defensively were we solid; they didn’t get near us.

“I’ve said to him that when I’m telling him ‘back, across’, he does it, so defensively he was better in the first half.

“I also asked him how many shots he had in the first half. He scored, he went close, he got though a few times, and he looked a huge threat.

“When he was on the opposite side from me, there were no shots, he posed no threat, from an area that he thinks is a more attacking area. It’s not.

“You drop, so you have a bit more room on the ball, then you can get running at people. But whether the penny is going to drop, I don’t know.”

The Owls are making a contract offer to Johnson as his current deal gets set to run out.

Wednesday are holding an open day on Sunday, July 17. Fans will be able to watch the team train, get autographs and take photographs. There will also be other activities.

Next season’s new home kit will be unveiled and will be on sale in the club shop. More details about the open day will be announced later.

Guest Saturday Owl

Hope he accepts the offer as JJ has proved that he'll cause problems for teams this season, Megson will certainly get the best out of him.

gary megson is urging Jermaine Johnson to push his career forward by taking some steps back.

The Owls manager believes that the winger can be even more of an attacking threat if he also concentrates more on his defensive duties.

Megson feels that when JJ drops back, he can also receive the ball in deeper positions, so has more room in which to launch forward runs.

It seems that the winger is at his most effective when playing on the same side of the pitch as the technical area and within earshot as his boss dishes out orders.

Megson explained: “I’ve spoken to JJ about it....he’s capable of winning games single-handed, but the stuff he does when he’s on the far side from me is capable of causing us problems. He has to use his talent and the threat that he poses to other teams within the framework of our team.”

The Owls chief cites the last game of the season, against Exeter, as an example.

“When he was in front of me, defensively were we solid; they didn’t get near us.

“I’ve said to him that when I’m telling him ‘back, across’, he does it, so defensively he was better in the first half.

“I also asked him how many shots he had in the first half. He scored, he went close, he got though a few times, and he looked a huge threat.

“When he was on the opposite side from me, there were no shots, he posed no threat, from an area that he thinks is a more attacking area. It’s not.

“You drop, so you have a bit more room on the ball, then you can get running at people. But whether the penny is going to drop, I don’t know.”

The Owls are making a contract offer to Johnson as his current deal gets set to run out.

Wednesday are holding an open day on Sunday, July 17. Fans will be able to watch the team train, get autographs and take photographs. There will also be other activities.

Next season’s new home kit will be unveiled and will be on sale in the club shop. More details about the open day will be announced later.

I noticed he did this away at Walsall to and he looked much better for it as well. Again it was when JJ was on the right hand side, with Megson barking at him from the dug out on the same side of the pitch.

Perhaps this is why Megson likes to bring him on as a sub, and play him on the same side of the pitch as the technical area?

Edited by Anthndav

For christ's sake, you'd think we were talking about a kid fresh from the academy.

The guy's 31 years old.

So by your reasoning, footballers should know everything they need to know about the game once they've left their academy.

It's hard to be objective about your own performances without someone telling you how you could improve.

There is always room for improvement, and that goes for the very very best too.

Guest Big Guns

it does sound a bit under 11 ish .a proffesional footballer who only plays well when hes next to the manager so he can tell him wot to do ,wot ever flippingnext. :huh:

Guest Big Guns

You're never too old to learn.

Alan Irvine he will never learn ,but i think he looks about 20 years older than he is ,hes about 52 and looks 72 easy.

He was, what, 26 when we bought him? I don't think the years under Laws and Irvine did any of our players any favours - how many had Beevers and Spurr down as future Prem material in 2007? It doesn't surprise me that a proven manager finds ways to develop older players that pair never spotted.

Edited by arithmetic

Give the guy a break, he's clearly thick as poo poo.

At least with JJ he can be effective down both wings, so if playing the same side as the technical area benifits JJ then fair enough, it isnt going to be a problem like it would be if he was restricted to one wing.

it does sound a bit under 11 ish .a proffesional footballer who only plays well when hes next to the manager so he can tell him wot to do ,wot ever flippingnext. :huh:

Let's hope Megson doesn't get sent to the stands or we're fooked lol

Edited by Blueblood

It is quite encouraging that Megson's talking like this. He's clearly looking at our squad in a very analytical and intelligent way, and working out how to get the best out of everyone. Makes a nice change from a manager who's looking at endless videos of the opposition.

I think this past season, our squad has performed at nowhere near the level they're capable of. If Megson can spend time with them individually, and get them playing like Championship players (and JJ when he's on form is top-notch Championship material), I'll be very happy.

Edited by Tyto