Will never forget his goal (when he chipped the keeper) against dirty Leeds from behind the halfway line,

Good luck to the lad

That's probably the best goal I seen scored by a Wednesday player for years.

That's probably the best goal I seen scored by a Wednesday player for years.

He's knackered for Sunday though :angry: Hopefully Dorrans will be fit :biggrin:

I remember I started a thread not long after we got Brunt stating that out of the 2 young left wingers from Middlesbrough...Brunt and Downing, we got the best one.

I got a bit of abuse at the time and maybe rightly so, but I think now most people would agree that Brunt is by far the better player. If we were in the prem and had the choice of either it would be Brunt every time.

I remember I started a thread not long after we got Brunt stating that out of the 2 young left wingers from Middlesbrough...Brunt and Downing, we got the best one.

I got a bit of abuse at the time and maybe rightly so, but I think now most people would agree that Brunt is by far the better player. If we were in the prem and had the choice of either it would be Brunt every time.

Olsson, Brunt, Scharner, Mulumbu and Odemwingie are the reason we aren't going down this year. Brunt the probably be third choice for player of the year behind Pete in second for the Goals. Youssouf Mulumbu has been our player of the season and has been immense with the chances he's created. Bare's right about something in that Chris Brunt holds you in high esteem and has never celebrated an Albion goal against you.

I'm pretty sure we got some money for him when West Brom were promoted to the Prem a few years ago.

Quality player, lovely bloke, still has huge respect for wednesday (I remember Seth Bennett talking of how bitter sweet/ gutted he was when he interviewed him after his transfer to WBA).

Just think if we'd have spent a million or so on 1 or 2 players to build a team around Wood, Beevers, Spurr (both when they looked like world beaters), Whelan & Brunt the season after we just missed out on the play offs. Ah well, the thousands we spent on suing fans of the club was a much better way of moving forward :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure we got some money for him when West Brom were promoted to the Prem a few years ago.

Quality player, lovely bloke, still has huge respect for wednesday (I remember Seth Bennett talking of how bitter sweet/ gutted he was when he interviewed him after his transfer to WBA).

Just think if we'd have spent a million or so on 1 or 2 players to build a team around Wood, Beevers, Spurr (both when they looked like world beaters), Whelan & Brunt the season after we just missed out on the play offs. Ah well, the thousands we spent on suing fans of the club was a much better way of moving forward :ph34r:

This is such a good post.

He used to get slagged off something terrible by some of our fans. No wonder so many good players flounder at S6.

You've got to make players welcome. Look at Pete after what happened at Locomotiv Moscow (if you don't know google it.Its reason enough why Russia shouldn't have a World Cup) With a club of our record with players such Regis Cunningham and Batson. He was a hero before he stepped on to the pitch, He scored on debut and has never looked back. Who would've thought a player whose previous best season was 14 goals at Lille and cost £1million would be on 15 and counting in the premier league. Morale of the story enjoy them while you've got them cause when they're gone, they're gone

You've got to make players welcome. Look at Pete after what happened at Locomotiv Moscow (if you don't know google it.Its reason enough why Russia shouldn't have a World Cup) With a club of our record with players such Regis Cunningham and Batson. He was a hero before he stepped on to the pitch, He scored on debut and has never looked back. Who would've thought a player whose previous best season was 14 goals at Lille and cost £1million would be on 15 and counting in the premier league. Morale of the story enjoy them while you've got them cause when they're gone, they're gone

Generally speaking, our average fan is slightly more messed up than most other clubs. They want all players to be the finished article at 21, and if they aren't then they get on the players backs.

We've ruined many promising youngsters, but I think with Brunt the criticism actually spurred him on and made him a more consistent performer at a younger age.

Generally speaking, our average fan is slightly more messed up than most other clubs. They want all players to be the finished article at 21, and if they aren't then they get on the players backs.

We've ruined many promising youngsters, but I think with Brunt the criticism actually spurred him on and made him a more consistent performer at a younger age.

I'd also suggest that Brian Laws deserves a bit of credit here.

I'm not that sure that we got to see out of Brunt, and Whelan for that matter, under the more defensive KPS.

Laws, despite his er flaws, in that first season had us playing some excellent attacking football that saw Brunty flourish.

His performances against West Brom were simply awesome that season.

Edited by SiJ

48 seconds in

You have to say - we had a good team then. Brunt, Whelan, Tudgay when he liked playing for us judging by his celebration, JJ and Lee Bullen :biggrin: Didn't seem it at the time but I would love that quality in our team again

You have to say - we had a good team then. Brunt, Whelan, Tudgay when he liked playing for us judging by his celebration, JJ and Lee Bullen :biggrin: Didn't seem it at the time but I would love that quality in our team again

Simek, Wood, Watson, Burton, MacLean too.

That squad would have been a great platform to build off if we actually had the financial position that we now find ourselves in.

As it is, we've got to build from scratch yet again. But at least we know that any gems we get from here on out won't be leaving at the first sniff from another club.

I think Brunt was lacking in work rate for a while, but because of his ability he always created chances or half chances, when he was dropped vs hull on sky for a more hard working player we had nothing til he came on.

Scored some wonder goals, but then when his stock rose he suddenly seemed to decide to get fit and when he did that for the final 8 months he was here he looked a premiership player. Ran the show on the left all game (including that game vs WBA) and put great balls in. Would be great to find another outlet like that.

He used to get slagged off something terrible by some of our fans. No wonder so many good players flounder at S6.

Yes, sadly he wasn't held in such high esteem by some fans as I recall. I remember him having a terrible game against Barnsley one season not so long back only to pop up and score a volley in the last minute to win the game for us. When he scored and we were all up celebrating I turned round to see the guy who sits behind us, who'd been slagging him off relentlessly all afternoon, slumped with his head in his hands.

Whelan, another excellent player who's gone on to be a decent Premiership player and regular international was another one who used to get completely uncalled for stick from some "supporters".

I don't ever remember seeing any player ever improving after being booed or slagged off by his own fans, only getting worse. We've got a lot of brilliant suporters but unfortunately our fan base is also tinged with a good number of fools. Lets drown em out (or just drown em).

Yes, sadly he wasn't held in such high esteem by some fans as I recall. I remember him having a terrible game against Barnsley one season not so long back only to pop up and score a volley in the last minute to win the game for us. When he scored and we were all up celebrating I turned round to see the guy who sits behind us, who'd been slagging him off relentlessly all afternoon, slumped with his head in his hands.

Whelan, another excellent player who's gone on to be a decent Premiership player and regular international was another one who used to get completely uncalled for stick from some "supporters".

I don't ever remember seeing any player ever improving after being booed or slagged off by his own fans, only getting worse. We've got a lot of brilliant suporters but unfortunately our fan base is also tinged with a good number of fools. Lets drown em out (or just drown em).

I remember people shouting at Waddle for being lazy, and at Hirst for being wasteful in front of goal.

You really dont know what you've got until its gone sometimes. :blush:

He used to go in the bottom red lion up grenoside when he was with us. With graham lee and a couple of others. Always was approachable and seemed a nice lad. Shame he went, but glad his going up in the world. It's funny watching motd, constantly telling our lass "he used to play for us" with all the ex Wednesday players. Surprising thinking about how many there are, and where would we be if we could have held on to them...