A Matter of Trust

Stunned by people suggesting they would keep JOC..

These are all joke posts, right?

megsons got the balance about right. if he offloads any of them, hes got to sign similar players.

JOC has been good in the last few home games, TBH i thought he was doing alright at the start of the season too. megsons got him more disciplined and less headless chicken, and its paying off.

O'Connor is a League Two player at best... Get rid!

JJ has a decent game maybe once in every five games, too much of a luxury player... Get rid!

Mellor is too inconsistent and injury prone... Get rid!

Miller should be moved on, we already have a younger, more energetic replacement in our squad in Coke... Get rid!

Buxton - 2 year deal. Get it sorted ASAP.

JJ - 1 year deal. Get it sorted ASAP.

Miller - Maybe 1 year deal, depending on wages etc.

JOC - RELEASE

Hinds - RELEASE

Then get rid of players such as Sedgwick, Potter, C. Morrison, Teale Heffernan, Spurr. Be it paying contracts up, free transfers or whatever.

Maybe try and off load M. Morrison and Reynolds if we can. But I've not lost total hope in these two just yet.

Edited by BRADDAZ

megsons got the balance about right. if he offloads any of them, hes got to sign similar players.

JOC has been good in the last few home games, TBH i thought he was doing alright at the start of the season too. megsons got him more disciplined and less headless chicken, and its paying off.

O'Connor, like a coule of others, has looked better just lately. I'll give you that.

Does that make up for being totally ineffectual for two seasons in the Championship and garbage for 80% of this league one campaign? I'm not sure it does, no.

Nobody in this team is irreplaceable but even of the few out of contract players I have a harder time justifying keeping JOC than anyone else. I suppose with Buxton people can argue he's had a good season at this level this year and Johnson has the pace and running to still frighten teams down here but.. that's it. And that's stretching it.

After this season there are only a handful of players who deserve to play any further part in this clubs future at all. Obviously we can't get rid of everybody, but at a time when Megson and Milan want to trim the squad size anyway and will almost certainly want to replace some of our current wasters with decent players, I can't understand why people are wanting to keep 3 or 4 players of the 6 we have out of contract. This should be an opportunity to pack 4/5/6 players off (depending how ruthless you're feeling) so we can rebuild some of this decimated team properly. Specifically in JOC's place, maybe that means we can also bring in a proper ball winning midfielder who has the physical and technical attributes to do the job properly and consistently at this level?

I see a situation where all bar Hinds get some sort of deal even a year the big thing for me is the likes of Morrison and Reynolds being outcasted really the thing is who will want them and would they pay.Megson has to improve the spineof the team he probably knows some off these players won't be wanted by others so he has to be very cute in the summer.I hope i am wrong but I feel he may only bring in 1-2 CB 1CM 1 WINGER AND 2 STRIKERS.

I can't argue with that. If Jones and Batth are with us next season then there will be no need for an extra centre half, therefore, I would go for a left back. The CM should be a big dirty b4stard, the winger should be left-sided and to give us some variation, one forward should be a pacey striker and the other forward should be a player who can play in the hole.

Stunned by people suggesting they would keep JOC..

These are all joke posts, right?

Same here mate.

Just because he's has a couple of (admittedly brilliant) games we should give him a new contract? Let's not forget he only looks good against the bottom feeding teams of this division, how he's spent most of his games for us chasing shadows looking like a headless chicken, and how he was part of the worst central midfield pairing in the history of football last season.

I genuinely respect him as a man and a pro but sorry, he has to go.

Rob, you're right about paying up contracts taking away from wage and playing staff budgets..

..so surely that makes it even more important that we use this opportunity to clear a group of players (who are on decent wages for this level at that) while we have the chance without having to pay people off?

We need to improve the squad and trim the numbers, and yet people would actively give a new contract to James O'Connor? A man who but for a handful of games in fits and starts has played universally badly for 3 years? A man who is too lightweight and too lacking in ability to actually perform the roll we need him to do?

It baffles me. Get bloody rid while we've got the chance.

Rob, you're right about paying up contracts taking away from wage and playing staff budgets..

..so surely that makes it even more important that we use this opportunity to clear a group of players (who are on decent wages for this level at that) while we have the chance without having to pay people off?

We need to improve the squad and trim the numbers, and yet people would actively give a new contract to James O'Connor? A man who but for a handful of games in fits and starts has played universally badly for 3 years? A man who is too lightweight and too lacking in ability to actually perform the roll we need him to do?

It baffles me. Get bloody rid while we've got the chance.

too many changes wont help. There are a few that need removing, and there are a few that need shipping out.

JOC was doing alright earlier in the season as well, people are quick to slate him but out of all the midfielders at the club, id say hes performed better more times this season than any of the others. We need two midfielders to do the job Miller and JOC have been doing recently. im not adverse to giving them another year and allow megson some time to make the gradual changes needed, but if not, Megson has to be absolutely sure the players hes bringing in are better at these jobs than Miller and JOC.

Cant see too much harm in giving them a year, and replacing them the following season when we are (hopefully) in the championship, and will be able to attract better players. are we able to recuit better in league one?

Ideally (in my opinion) if we are being ruthless we need to move on the following:

Darren Potter

Clinton Morrison

Tommy Spurr (as much as I hate to say it)

JOC (although Megson seems to like him)

Paul Heffernan and

Either Sedgwick or Teale.

I'd give Reynolds and Morrison a bit longer. For me the majority of the players who havent really produced are under contract whilst JJ, Miller and Buxton have all contributed but need their wages reviewing.

Guest Buxtonian

too many changes wont help. There are a few that need removing, and there are a few that need shipping out.

JOC was doing alright earlier in the season as well, people are quick to slate him but out of all the midfielders at the club, id say hes performed better more times this season than any of the others. We need two midfielders to do the job Miller and JOC have been doing recently. im not adverse to giving them another year and allow megson some time to make the gradual changes needed, but if not, Megson has to be absolutely sure the players hes bringing in are better at these jobs than Miller and JOC.

Cant see too much harm in giving them a year, and replacing them the following season when we are (hopefully) in the championship, and will be able to attract better players. are we able to recuit better in league one?

Anyone noticed the common factor in the undoubted improvement in JOC in recent weeks. - no POTTER!

I appreciate that JOC will never be international standard, but he's worth having in the side for ONE reason alone- his workrate! He's here, there and everywhere, pops up in the most unexpected places and puts a saving tackle in. Despite his size, or specifiaclly his lack of height, he seem s to get to more high balls than the average player, and is prepared to run and make chances where no other player would go for a ball. I personally think he's worth his place in the squad.

Ideally (in my opinion) if we are being ruthless we need to move on the following:Darren PotterClinton MorrisonTommy Spurr (as much as I hate to say it)JOC (although Megson seems to like him)Paul Heffernan andEither Sedgwick or Teale.I'd give Reynolds and Morrison a bit longer. For me the majority of the players who havent really produced are under contract whilst JJ, Miller and Buxton have all contributed but need their wages reviewing.

Agree with this although I think Megson will offer JOC a new contract. He seems to like him and he fits his high energy, high workrate mentality. If he plays like he has the last few games then no problem but generally speaking he has been a central part of a completely woeful midfield for most of the season.

It's alright saying review people like O'Connors contracts when we're in the Chamipionship, but do you honestly think O'Connor is of the standard necessary to get there in the first place?

Sorry, but he's another player who has failed to produce far too often for far too long. Hustle and bustle is one thing but O'Connor lacks the physical tenacity to actually put that to any use or the technical skill to do anything else. He's a very, very limited central midfield player who has only ever "done a job" for us at his absolute best because he runs around. Not being funny but you might as well give a years contract to me or you and get the same amount of running for the shirt.

I think it's about time we stopped settling for mediocrity. For the first time in over a decade (and at the age of 24, probably for the first time in my time watching Wednesday) we're going to be entering a transfer window with the funds and facilities available to bring in some exciting and/or good quality players for the level we're at. Central midfield has been a problem area for us for some time, and O'Connor has done little in his time here to suggest he's the answer either in the short or long term. We need and can do better. Infact if we were to keep either of our out of contract central midfielders, Miller would be the one I'd keep, because I think he would benefit more from the new ball winning holding player we'd bring in to replace O'Connor.

I just can't put any sort of case together to keep O'Connor, personally. I don't even think it's fair to compare his worth to someone like Potter, especially as you've already acknowledged we can't be spending too much resources on cancelling contracts. If our option was to keep O'Connor and spend money cancelling Potter's contract or get rid of O'Connor then seeing JOC leave would be the easy decision every day of the week there. His is the role we need to improve on for the benefit of the team.

Guest jimmyowl77

Buxton - 2 year deal. Get it sorted ASAP.

JJ - 1 year deal. Get it sorted ASAP.

Miller - Maybe 1 year deal, depending on wages etc.

JOC - RELEASE

Hinds - RELEASE

Then get rid of players such as Sedgwick, Potter, C. Morrison, Teale Heffernan, Spurr. Be it paying contracts up, free transfers or whatever.

Maybe try and off load M. Morrison and Reynolds if we can. But I've not lost total hope in these two just yet.

Agree with this

Also I'd sign up Rob Jones and try and sign Batth and Mellor on season long loans (can't remember how long Mellors got left)

Also try and land Will Hoskins to partner Madine.

Guest pops55

Surely any new contracts now have to be weighted towards prefomances, therefore, keeping the presure on the players to win and, therefore, get payed more.

Surely with Jones and Mellor we are in a good bargaining position. If they have a year left on their contracts they'll leave on a free so both clubs will get what they can now.

It's alright saying review people like O'Connors contracts when we're in the Chamipionship, but do you honestly think O'Connor is of the standard necessary to get there in the first place?

Sorry, but he's another player who has failed to produce far too often for far too long. Hustle and bustle is one thing but O'Connor lacks the physical tenacity to actually put that to any use or the technical skill to do anything else. He's a very, very limited central midfield player who has only ever "done a job" for us at his absolute best because he runs around. Not being funny but you might as well give a years contract to me or you and get the same amount of running for the shirt.

I think it's about time we stopped settling for mediocrity. For the first time in over a decade (and at the age of 24, probably for the first time in my time watching Wednesday) we're going to be entering a transfer window with the funds and facilities available to bring in some exciting and/or good quality players for the level we're at. Central midfield has been a problem area for us for some time, and O'Connor has done little in his time here to suggest he's the answer either in the short or long term. We need and can do better. Infact if we were to keep either of our out of contract central midfielders, Miller would be the one I'd keep, because I think he would benefit more from the new ball winning holding player we'd bring in to replace O'Connor.

I just can't put any sort of case together to keep O'Connor, personally. I don't even think it's fair to compare his worth to someone like Potter, especially as you've already acknowledged we can't be spending too much resources on cancelling contracts. If our option was to keep O'Connor and spend money cancelling Potter's contract or get rid of O'Connor then seeing JOC leave would be the easy decision every day of the week there. His is the role we need to improve on for the benefit of the team.

what i cant understand is that IF megson has turned them around, and Miller + JOC perform like they have been doing recently next season, why wouldnt you keep them another year? They have both been excellent recently, and as iv said before JOC was decent enough in the start. Bit harsh to throw players out who have had poor stints here but under megson have been key players.

again, name the replacements that a bottom half league one side are likely to attract, who wont be gambles?