megson facing the axe

Guest Big Guns

Guest 03 owl

It will be fancinating to find out what has actually happened at our club

In my opinion, the players clearly did not want to play for Megson initially, at times it didn't look at they were even trying. I put this down to Megson being too hard on them, and the culture shock of nice AI to big bad Megson.

But now.... we're a team again. Fighting, battling, and mostly importantly winning

Also, I think it's a little harsh for people to start people bumping all the threads where Megson received criticism, just to rub peoples noses in it. When some questions were raised about Megson, it was all the players' fault and every single one apart from Madine should be shipped out on a free. Now they're brilliant; two weeks ago Mellor was a fat lazy waster who only played for AI but now he must be signed and will tear the league apart (again)

Everyone has been making snap judgements during our terrible run, some blamed the players, some blamed the manager. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle

Some one has found a common goal between a relation ship :) i would not ever hazard a guess that Milan and GM plus the players had something to do with it :blush: and the fans.

its all good, maybe Milan has had a quiet word to the players ?

Edited by 03 owl

Like yer paint pot trophy SOB

Cheers trevdi9.

Gonna change it back to yours once the flag fuss has died down.

Found some Scottish asthma attack images but that would be plain wrong without some kind of burning flag background. :biggrin:

M Royds has my favourite at the minute. His timing was perfect and it looks to have captured Gaddafi as he leaves the Botox clinic.

One of the only positives of the constant madness that used to take place on here during the "dark days" was that it gave the opportunity for a topical change about three times a day. :biggrin:

Guest Big Guns

i think it was true ,he was for the axe ,and mellor was going to be sent back to preston if he didnt start scoring again ,wot else can it be

Whether or not the story of Megson facing the axe was true, and you would expect Milan to deny it, something certainly happened to focus peoples minds. One of the main arguments of the Megson critics, was the negative tactics used so far, they weren't working. Suddenly the manager introduces Mellor and Johnson to play alongside Madine and we look a totally different team. We are winning, the players look to be enjoying themselves and suddenly we look like we have something to build on.

Of course we are not now going to get anti Megson threads, nor should we get any more threads about clearing the players out. Supporters shouldn't be trying to create divisions in the fanbase, on the contrary, lets just rejoice in the new found optimism.

It will be fancinating to find out what has actually happened at our club

In my opinion, the players clearly did not want to play for Megson initially, at times it didn't look at they were even trying. I put this down to Megson being too hard on them, and the culture shock of nice AI to big bad Megson.

But now.... we're a team again. Fighting, battling, and mostly importantly winning

Also, I think it's a little harsh for people to start people bumping all the threads where Megson received criticism, just to rub peoples noses in it. When some questions were raised about Megson, it was all the players' fault and every single one apart from Madine should be shipped out on a free. Now they're brilliant; two weeks ago Mellor was a fat lazy waster who only played for AI but now he must be signed and will tear the league apart (again)

Everyone has been making snap judgements during our terrible run, some blamed the players, some blamed the manager. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle

I'm just highlighting the short term, classic view from football fans who think everything should happen in the blink of an eye.

Changing the culture in any organisation takes time - some people don't seem to understand or want to accept that.

I'm not passing judgement on Megson either way. Like I said give him the chance to bring in his players, his training methods, his culture, etc over the pre season and start to form a judgement 10/15 games into next season.

Some idiots on here seem to want the guy to fail and have already decided it's over for him.

I'm just highlighting the short term, classic view from football fans who think everything should happen in the blink of an eye.

Changing the culture in any organisation takes time - some people don't seem to understand or want to accept that.

I'm not passing judgement on Megson either way. Like I said give him the chance to bring in his players, his training methods, his culture, etc over the pre season and start to form a judgement 10/15 games into next season.

Some idiots on here seem to want the guy to fail and have already decided it's over for him.

This isn't a pop at you mate just an observation.

I know football has changed and it's all about the money but I think the higlighted bit is the problem these days.

Why do we have to make a judgement?? It immediately puts pressure on and influences some peoples opinion one way or another. Like has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't think that some people want us to lose but they get an idea in their head about a player/manager, usually stand by that opinion and then appear to be itching for a reason to come and say I told you so.

They may even come out and say "fair play" I was wrong but in the meantime all the negativity breeds and some people lap that poo poo up. With the access to forums, internet, texts, etc etc, these wild theories and ideas spread like wildfire and the players are then under even more pressure as they are all reading this tripe on twatter.

For example, he could win maybe his first 8/9 and then get hammered for the next 6/7 leading up to this "15 game judgement day" and then the negativity starts to creep in and before you know, threads like this are started "Megson facing the axe".

Can we not just trust that they are professionals and let them get on with it?

I think i've waffled a bit here sorry, but i'm trying to say that I don't think this negativity and judgemental mindset work very well in conjunction with the technology filled world full of readily accesible information we live in.

This isn't a pop at you mate just an observation.

I know football has changed and it's all about the money but I think the higlighted bit is the problem these days.

Why do we have to make a judgement?? It immediately puts pressure on and influences some peoples opinion one way or another. Like has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't think that some people want us to lose but they get an idea in their head about a player/manager, usually stand by that opinion and then appear to be itching for a reason to come and say I told you so.

They may even come out and say "fair play" I was wrong but in the meantime all the negativity breeds and some people lap that poo poo up. With the access to forums, internet, texts, etc etc, these wild theories and ideas spread like wildfire and the players are then under even more pressure as they are all reading this tripe on twatter.

For example, he could win maybe his first 8/9 and then get hammered for the next 6/7 leading up to this "15 game judgement day" and then the negativity starts to creep in and before you know, threads like this are started "Megson facing the axe".

I think i've waffled a bit here sorry, but i'm trying to say that I don't think this negativity and judgemental mindset work very well in conjunction with the technology filled world full of readily accesible information we live in.

I know what you're trying to say.

Unfortunately fans will always make judgements on the success or failure of a manager, it's always been that way.

I rather people have an opinion on this after a reasonable period of time where you can see a track record rather than within a few games of the guy inheriting a bag of sh!t with confidence at a real low.

The 10/15 games is just an example - I'm just saying give the guy time before trying to kick him out of the club.

Guest Big Guns

Whether or not the story of Megson facing the axe was true, and you would expect Milan to deny it, something certainly happened to focus peoples minds. One of the main arguments of the Megson critics, was the negative tactics used so far, they weren't working. Suddenly the manager introduces Mellor and Johnson to play alongside Madine and we look a totally different team. We are winning, the players look to be enjoying themselves and suddenly we look like we have something to build on.

Of course we are not now going to get anti Megson threads, nor should we get any more threads about clearing the players out. Supporters shouldn't be trying to create divisions in the fanbase, on the contrary, lets just rejoice in the new found optimism.

dont want to sound clever or owt but im sure ive been saying all season playing more attacking wed be well up the league ,than negative poo is no good.

I know what you're trying to say.

Unfortunately fans will always make judgements on the success or failure of a manager, it's always been that way.

I rather people have an opinion on this after a reasonable period of time where you can see a track record rather than within a few games of the guy inheriting a bag of sh!t with confidence at a real low.

The 10/15 games is just an example - I'm just saying give the guy time before trying to kick him out of the club.

Without doubt mate, I think he will be the right man for us in the long run. Can't wait for this summer and next season.

Edited by tomhollywood

dont want to sound clever or owt but im sure ive been saying all season playing more attacking wed be well up the league ,than negative poo is no good.

Don't be ashamed to flaunt your intellect Biggie

Remember how we invariably started the season under Trevor Francis? These days he'd have never made it to November still in the job.

Guest Big Guns

Differing opinions is what owlstalk is all about though is it not ,Be boring if every poster preached the same news etc,

i no that trev its good to be right all the time tho ,i supose theres got to be one clever bugger like me on every forum right

Remember how we invariably started the season under Trevor Francis? These days he'd have never made it to November still in the job.

Being honest I don't mate, was only 9 at the time.

Doesn't suprise me though. We live in such a now now now culture. Everyone want's everything instantly thesedays, it's ridiculous.

I love to see Megson given proper support by both MM and the fanbase, i'm sure over time he will work wonders.

Some one has found a common goal between a relation ship :) i would not ever hazard a guess that Milan and GM plus the players had something to do with it :blush: and the fans.

its all good, maybe Milan has had a quiet word to the players ?

The answer is not rocket science.

I don't think there is any doubt that there was some sort of rift between some of the players and the new management..

Two new defenders that megson feels he can rely on, consequently we turn out a more positive forward line..

Also I think if I were a player, the speculation that Roy keane might be comming to hilsborough would make me do anything I could to avoid any such appointment.

If this was milans doing it was a master stroke

Being honest I don't mate, was only 9 at the time.

Doesn't suprise me though. We live in such a now now now culture. Everyone want's everything instantly thesedays, it's ridiculous.

I love to see Megson given proper support by both MM and the fanbase, i'm sure over time he will work wonders.

For example, in 1992/3 (the season we were runners-up in both domestic cup competitions) we were 15th on Boxing Day. We then won 12 of the next 13 games in all competitions which saw us surge into 4th place.

The following season we had just one league win before November and were in the bottom three. We lost only 2 of the next 21 games, climbing 14 league places.

And in his final season we were 18th at Christmas until Guy Whittingham's arrival somehow coincided with a 10 game unbeaten run. Sadly for Francis, the rifts in the camp then became widening gulfs and we collapsed again towards the end of the season, leading to his dismissal.