Time to gel

Guest Triplej2

All I keep hearing from Irvine supporters is he needs time to gel!

He brought in 9 players in the summer and we looked more of a team in August than what we do now.

He keeps chopping and changing the team because he doesn't know his strongest team and he doesn't play to their strengths.

But the worst part of it all is, what is he trying to get the team to gel into. All I can see it that he sends his team out their to stop the opposition keep it tight and no method behind our attacking play. No team with that mentality ever achieved success at any level.

His footballing philosophy is all wrong and no amount of time, players, hard work will save him because he won't change the way we play and his philosophy.

I have always believed the players are good enough, we just need a manager to play them to their strengths.

Irvine Out!

Old 33 loves a bit of GEL talk, where is he when you need him???

So trusting Milan is bullshit?

Oh dear.

That is a really pathetic attempt at twisting somebodies words.

You seem to flip flop on every issue, so its very hard to take you seriously.

This has nothing to do with Milan Mandaric - it has everything to do with a poor manager.

I know where this all going, in fact I could see this happening a while back.

*Criticise any part of the club and that means that you are criticising/disrespecting Milan Mandaric*

Its a load of nonsense of course, but a great way of trying to smear people.

Guest starrydave

You don't half talk a load of rubbish mate. The mood is most definitely NOT shifting against Milan, people are just non plussed at the lack of P45 action.

I think you're just being Harry opposite because this is all a novelty to you.

You're hardly one to go with the crowd mate!!!

Its just where I see things going, and its only my opinion... We'll see how things go in a months time if Irvine is still here. I honestly think we'll start to seeing more 'Milan - FFS!' type threads. And people ARE critical of his decision not to sack Irvine.

Guest starrydave

Oh dear.

That is a really pathetic attempt at twisting somebodies words.

You seem to flip flop on every issue, so its very hard to take you seriously.

This has nothing to do with Milan Mandaric - it has everything to do with a poor manager.

I know where this all going, in fact I could see this happening a while back.

*Criticise any part of the club and that means that you are criticising/disrespecting Milan Mandaric*

Its a load of nonsense of course, but a great way of trying to smear people.

Where have I flip flopped?

Listen mate, my first 'lady vitriol' comment was a joke. I really am not interested in starting an argument, and this thread is already starting to get hijacked by these ridiculous back and forth point scoring.

My main argument in this thread has been 'trust milan'. So when you accused me of bullshit, I was trying to point you to the fact that all I am saying is trust him. I wasnt twisting anyones words - I think the subtlety was possibily lost on you.

the time to gel arguement is pretty much Milans - hence why I dont think it would be a big jump to criticising him.

Im not saying that people are ganging up on the bloke, I just think its where these threads will be in a few weeks time.

If 11 men can't gel against 9 I don't think they'll ever gel under the same manager.

Oh yeah.

That is right.

We've stooped so low under Irvine that failing to beat 9 man YEOVIL is ok, just a blip if you will.

Unbelievable.

Guest Wrighty80

Braddaz, I'm on the front line with you and SiJ on this.

Its absolutely incredible.

I listened to RS for the first time in years over the last couple of days and it made me want to cry!

'He needs some time'

HOW MUCH?!

You're hardly one to go with the crowd mate!!!

Its just where I see things going, and its only my opinion... We'll see how things go in a months time if Irvine is still here. I honestly think we'll start to seeing more 'Milan - FFS!' type threads. And people ARE critical of his decision not to sack Irvine.

if Milan isnt working on a replacement as we speak then yes im critical of the decision not to sack Irvine and i think he is making a mistake, thats my opinion

but its a different thing to suggest "the mood is changing" towards Milan

Me and i assume everyone else are eternally gratefull to Milan for saving us from oblivion, that will never change

Do we really need another thread for the Irvine Out crew to yet again try n dig their heels in, remind me of spoilt fu ckin kids.

He's not goin anywhere for now but in defence of those on time to gel argument we are pretty much running with a brand new back 4

there is no player revolt

the main man MM is backing him

with the player recruitment still in full flow, i can't help but feel that there are some getting there knickers in a twist

if the hate AI brigade are right then time will tell................

when MM decides

until that moment, be wednesday

Do we really need another thread for the Irvine Out crew to yet again try n dig their heels in, remind me of spoilt fu ckin kids.

He's not goin anywhere for now but in defence of those on time to gel argument we are pretty much running with a brand new back 4

19 players have been brought into Brighton since the summer, 10 of them loanees.

So shouldn't they be in the bottom half somewhere?

Guest Wrighty80

How is the new back 4 relevant. They've only been part of 3 weeks of this year long debacle.

How has anything that he has done with the current squad made you thinking he will be able to get this new team 'gelling' ??

The league leaders brought in a total of 17 players over the last 12 months.

This season, (last 12 months is irrelevant) they singed 8 and brought in 2 on loan.

Out of those only 2 have played regularly all season. 2 have played in roughly 12/15 or so games, the others have hardly been involved and 1 has gone out on loan.

Regardless, I think we did start to play better, until mid/late December when we've hit a bad run of form. When people are talking about the team gelling I think they mean the likes of Reynolds, Morrison & Réda who are all new and part of the same back 4. No one in their right mind can think they'll just slot into place and perform together without hiccup.

This season, (last 12 months is irrelevant) they singed 8 and brought in 2 on loan.

My previously quoted total does appear to have been 'slightly' off the mark doesn't it? Whoops.

:blush:

Regardless, I think we did start to play better, until mid/late December when we've hit a bad run of form. When people are talking about the team gelling I think they mean the likes of Reynolds, Morrison & Réda who are all new and part of the same back 4. No one in their right mind can think they'll just slot into place and perform together without hiccup.

25 points from 21 games and three absolute humiliations in the last month or so speak for themselves.

I don't buy into the whole idea of players needing time to gel. Football is not a complicated sport. The players at this level know their jobs.

From my perspective our performances look like they are the result of players being bombarded with information. I believe quite strongly that in professional sport, the training times should be when information is passed onto players.

The time just before a match or event is when players need to be motivated and inspired. They need to go out onto the pitch feeling 10 feet tall and wearing their colours with pride. They should feel invincible in the blue and white - this is how good leaders lead. Or, as the classic phrase goes "an army of sheep led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep."

Players should not be going out onto the pitch worrying about where they have to run in what phase of play when who has the ball.

The match against Yeovil was so frustrating because it was obvious what needed to be done to win that match. When Yeovil were down to 9 men we had an opportunity to spread the play. We should have had our wide players hugging each touchline and we should have been firing crosses into the box from out wide. When we had corners we should have been going short and having a player darting into the box with the ball at his feet. What did we get instead? Long, high balls into the box from deep where their centre backs just headed them back.