Are you OK with us signing Lee Hughes?

454 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ok with Wednesday signing Lee Hughes?

• Yes
    • No

Actually if he did wait for Beevers after the match to 'sort him out', that would be disgraceful. Where did that info come from, and disregard my above view? :angry:

It was publicised shortly after the game. Beevers and Hughes had a bit of a running battle during the game, and if I remember right, towards the end of the game, James O'Connor followed Huges around and caught him with a couple of tasty tackles. Hughes was mouthing of to Beevers that he would wait for him outside the changing rooms after the game and "do him", and sure enough, there he was, I'm not sure what happened next, but I think a few of our senior players ushered Hughes away.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

The guys scum, end of. I completely understand hes served his sentence and people deserve a second chance in life, but I dont him anywhere near our club. To do what he did and do a runner and leave a person to die whilst he was pissed up is the lowest of the low. And then add in the ludicrious fact of £200,000 to sign him is unbelievable.

As far as the law goes he's done his time. I'm sorry, but sometimes the law sucks and big time. Intentianal or not, the guy is a murderer. The law says he accidentally killed someone and strictly that is true.

I'm sorry though, that doesn't cut it for me. As far as my ethics go, he's doesn't deserve a place in society. If he'd called the police when the accident happened, held his hands up and apologised till the cows came then maybe would deserve a second chance. The fact is he ran away and tried to hide it. Some people will say he did this because he was scared and panicked. Maybe he did, but the point of fact afterwards is that he doesn't give a s**t that he has done it.

The fact is, he is scum. He doesn't give a crap about what he has done. As far as he is concerned he is a footballer and the rest of the world should bow at his feet because he is. He has shown no remorse what so ever, the man has no decency and therefore no right to be part of society as it should be.

If Wednesday sign a piece of scum like this, then I will never, ever forgive the club.

We are Wednesday, we have always been a club that has prided ourselves on welcoming any decent person to our club. I have friends that support a vast array of clubs and they have always felt welcome at our club when they visit. We are a family club, we have tradition and standing in the footballing world, do we really want to lower oursleves to signing scum, just on the off chance that we might win an extra game or two?

I understand we all make mistakes.

I understand he has served time for his crime.

What I cannot understand his he ran off and left another human being to perish.

He is a coward, and that cowardice surfaced again when he waited outside the changing room for our youngest player, Mark Beevers, when we won at Notts County.

This isn't about signing a player who may get us promoted, this is about signing a player who hasn't a shred of common decency, the price is too high, I would much rather spend another season in this division than have to watch this coward doing his silly dance.

What he said

As far as the law goes he's done his time. I'm sorry, but sometimes the law sucks and big time. Intentianal or not, the guy is a murderer. The law says he accidentally killed someone and strictly that is true.

I'm sorry though, that doesn't cut it for me. As far as my ethics go, he's doesn't deserve a place in society. If he'd called the police when the accident happened, held his hands up and apologised till the cows came then maybe would deserve a second chance. The fact is he ran away and tried to hide it. Some people will say he did this because he was scared and panicked. Maybe he did, but the point of fact afterwards is that he doesn't give a s**t that he has done it.

The fact is, he is scum. He doesn't give a crap about what he has done. As far as he is concerned he is a footballer and the rest of the world should bow at his feet because he is. He has shown no remorse what so ever, the man has no decency and therefore no right to be part of society as it should be.

If Wednesday sign a piece of scum like this, then I will never, ever forgive the club.

We are Wednesday, we have always been a club that has prided ourselves on welcoming any decent person to our club. I have friends that support a vast array of clubs and they have always felt welcome at our club when they visit. We are a family club, we have tradition and standing in the footballing world, do we really want to lower oursleves to signing scum, just on the off chance that we might win an extra game or two?

I think some of the north stand and THE RADIATOR Johnsons agent would disagree with that.

I think some of the north stand and THE RADIATOR Johnsons agent would disagree with that.

And that is why Lee Hughes doesn't care; because he is a footballer he thinks he is above the law. What is just as worrying, is that some fans are prepared to allow football players to do whatever they like, so long as they get their club a few extra points.

At the same time I am not putting the Rad in the same league as Lee Hughes; the Rad hasn't killed people and then stuck two fingers up to the world. From the little I have read, at least the Rad seems to be a little ashamed of what he did. I am not excusing what the Rad has done, but once the time is served, certain crimes and criminals should be given a second chance; they aren't all evil.

I also won't be suprised that once Lee Hughes' career is over, to see him in the paper doing it all over again.

Hughes - from a Wednesday fan to a pr!ck.

**** off you killing, scumbag, ugly, old, tvvat.

You shouldn't have been left out the cell. You killed. You served your time but the kill will haunt you Forever and to gloat, like you did down molineux, is flipping disgraceful!

**** off. I will NEVER chant your name. Football reasons are out with this. You're meant to be a role model to the younger gengeration.

WHAT ROLE MODEL LEAVES SOMEONE FOR DEAD?!

Guest Wrighty80

With Irvine still in charge and this clown on his way, may exasperation with my beloved club is as big as ever.

I've certainly come down from the Mandaric vibe pretty quickly and I'm heading back to a similar level, all though an all time low is not possible now DA has left.

Guest Wrighty80

What also bugs me is that for years we haven't had a penny to rub together and as soon as we finally have some, were chucking it around willy nilly.

200k for Hughes? Honestly.

Adam Hammil went yesterday for 500K and we want to pay 200K for a 34 year old from league 1?

The potential signing of this scum bag is a huge step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I don't understand it for footballing reasons or for moral reasons either.

He should have been left to rot in prison, similar to how he left others. He should never have been given a second chance in football.

His attitude stinks, no remorse or regret for his actions. The families of the people involved must really hate the fact that he's out and doing well in the game, what have they got? Nothing.

There also seems to be something wrong with a person who's actions have lead to death wearing a shirt with a hospital charity on the front. Playing for a club that has started to be a major part in the local community again.

£200k for a 34 year old nobody, come on Milan & Alan, just walk away and forget it!!

Edited by mike84

I posted this in the other Lee Hughes thread and it sums up my feelings on the subject:

He will get goals there is no doubt about that. However, Peter Sutcliffe could possibly clear up the problem of prostitution on the streets of Sheffield. Would it be right and morally acceptable for Sheffield City Council to employ Sutcliffe to do that job if he was free to do so?

Sometimes other factors outweigh the end result. This man stood accused, was found guilty, and received a sentence of six years imprisonment for causing death by dangerous driving, along with the other charges of leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident. He admitted to police that he had drunk two Jack Daniels, had just a sip of a third and left a fourth untouched. This admission came about after bar staff and management at a pub called the Queen's Head and another nearby pub gave evidence that they had been serving him with double Jack Daniels and Coke prior to the incident. The jury heard evidence that he might have had three doubles in the first public house and more in the Poacher's Retreat, the second public house to which he went.

Evidence was put before the court to show that Hughes was driving "like a madman" doing 60mph on the wrong side of the road before hitting another car. It took Lee Hughes 36 hours to hand himself in to police, why was this? The judge commented at the time: "You clearly believed that if you had been breathalysed then you would have been over the limit."

Hughes ploughed his Mercedes coupe into another car near his home, killing a 56 year old father-of-four Douglas Graham, who was travelling in the back of the other car, Hughes then fled the scene on foot. Judge Christopher Hodson told our potential signing that he had showed a "callous disregard" for the victims by running away from the scene. Hughes left this man to face the consequences of his actions and to die without giving him a chance by calling for medical assistance, should your child therefore have the name of such scum across his beloved Owls shirt?

I wonder what Mr Graham's family, his wife, two sons and daughters would think about the possible signing of Hughes and the blood money we are negotiating with him. At the time of the killing Mr Graham's wife Maureen commented "Something has been taken away from my family that can never be replaced," she was also severely injured in the crash.

Some people say that Hughes has done his time, learnt his lesson and should be given another chance; he had been given just this prior to the killing. Hughes has a previous conviction for drink driving, obtained a few years before he chose to enjoy himself by drinking Jack Daniels and drive like an idiot resulting in the death of someone's husband and father.

No matter how many goals this man may score for us, it will not warrant or justify Hughes being handed the money I pay to Sheffield Wednesday; money I hand over to allow me, my family and friends to watch my team in a family environment. I never want people like this to be part of the club I love no matter how good he may be.

Guest intercity0wl

He's done his time. That for me is not the issue.

£200k for a 34 year old is.

Kevin Phillips is how old now and yet most would have an orgasm if he was to come here. Age has nothing to do with it he is a quality Goalscorer who would produce the goals needed to help gain promotion.

Its clear the opinion on hear is in the main diffrent to mine on this matter and so be it, if he is not wanted he is not wanted, but some of the holier than thou comments from some on here show exactly why my club, (yep its my club as weel as the Hughes haters) will take a lot longer than most to return to being a succesful one.

Remember that, every time you pick a paper after another wednesday failure, and it list the goalscorer for another club as a certain L Hughes, maybe even at Hillsborough in a few weeks time.

Edited by intercity0wl

His criminal record aside, he's no better then what we have i don't think.

People seem to be focussing on his criminal record as a reason for him not to come to the club, but can i remind everyone of the main reason he should never be allowed to wear our blue and white? HE IS GINGER.

Craig Armstrong, Dean Smith, James O'Connor, all ginger, all dreadful.

We'll be signing Mick Hucknall and Gillian Anderson next.

Pure madness.

The guys scum, end of. I completely understand hes served his sentence and people deserve a second chance in life, but I dont him anywhere near our club. To do what he did and do a runner and leave a person to die whilst he was pissed up is the lowest of the low. And then add in the ludicrious fact of £200,000 to sign him is unbelievable.

Abolutely spot on.

Kevin Phillips is how old now and yet most would have an orgasm if he was to come here. Age has nothing to do with it he is a quality Goalscorer who would produce the goals needed to help gain promotion.

Its clear the opinion on hear is in the main diffrent to mine on this matter and so be it, if he is not wanted he is not wanted, but some of the holier than thou comments from

some on here show exactly why my club, (yep its my club as weel as the Hughes haters) will take a lot longer than most to return to being a succesful one.

Remember that, every time you pick a paper after another wednesday failure, and it list the goalscorer for another

club as a certain L Hughes, maybe even at Hillsborough in a few weeks time.

Maybe this will happen, maybe it won't, what I do know is that I'll personally be much happier if Hughes stays away from the club. We shouldn't even consider him, I think he should actually still be in prison apart from his early release half way through his sentence (which was very lenient in the circumstances.