James O'Connor

This is the type of thread that shows the difference between people that understand the game and those that dont. He was head and shoulders above any other Owls player in the first half, second half he played just as well but the teams performance was much much better.

Totally agree with you mate,he was the main engine today,and had to be because miller kept going awol

Was nothing more than average.

He leaves massive gaps in the middle of the park running round like a ginner chiwawa on ket.

I've just said the same in another thread.

It is great to see a player with real heart and desire to win the ball in midfield. But he takes it too far and gets carried away and leaves Miller really isolated by pressing too much.

If JoC is going to do what he does, then the other midfielders and attackers HAVE to be better at covering when he is out of position- you can't just leave Miller all on his own to cover 40 yards of ground and then boo Irvine when the midfield gets overrun.

Guest scott_andrew_william

wow, well I'm surprised people thought he played well. I certainly didn't. For me it just highlighted why we need another defensive midfielder. It's fair enough hustling players, but he doesn't win the ball enough, and his passing is woeful. It was Purse and JOC who were the weak links today.

This is the type of thread that shows the difference between people that understand the game and those that dont.

Hmmmm

Always uncomfortable with somebody who thinks their opinion is the only one and they somehow have a greater insight and understanding to those that differ

I think it takes away from the main point as well

Give compelling argument - not just "i know about football and if you don't agree with me then you don't understand the game"

Nothing personal my friend - i just think it cheapens your point

This is the type of thread that shows the difference between people that understand the game and those that dont. He was head and shoulders above any other Owls player in the first half, second half he played just as well but the teams performance was much much better.

In the first half he gave away the ball on numerate occasions, and when he got the ball he kept giving the ball away. Plus he was one of the reasons Purse kept hoofing it, JOC doesn't want the ball. poo player, I remember him having one good game, n that was against the pigs'.

now im not saying he is the next frank lampard but seriously anyone who feels joc had a poor game today obviously has no idea about football, not only do you need flair players, skillfull players, creative players or even pacey players but you also need players to do the ugly work in the middle of the park, players who dont set the game alight with 60 yard passes or turn opposing players inside out with their silky skills but players who work their billy big boxxocks off so others around them can play to their potential, breaking up play, putting his foot in where its needed playing simple balls and supporting both the defence and attack, joc was superb today so i suggest to all you knockers of his performance today to go and play more football manager as that is clearly the level of your interlect about real football!

Hmmmm

Always uncomfortable with somebody who thinks their opinion is the only one and they somehow have a greater insight and understanding to those that differ

I think it takes away from the main point as well

Give compelling argument - not just "i know about football and if you don't agree with me then you don't understand the game"

Nothing personal my friend - i just think it cheapens your point

Agree with this 100%.

I'm pretty sure I have a fair idea on the game, but he was poor, I think I've made it pretty evident that I wasn't talking about creative players, but he's a poor defensive midfielder, I know players need to do the ugly work, but he's not good enough. His tackling and distribution's poor, and he can't hold it up, and when he loses possession of the ball in our half, it puts alot of pressure on our defense. I said at the beginning of the season we needed a defensive midfielder. The next person to call me stupid, needs to go to a thread just for tails.

stupid.....

* Now can you send me a link to that gay muck forum you read .......

Well, I guess you could go to google and type P R I C K S into the search box, and click I'm feeling lucky.

* Just did that..... it brought up 3 pictures of you ...... ?

Well, I wonder what you've been doing for the last twelve minutes then? :blush: , Homosexuality isn't supported on owlstalk :p

Was nothing more than average.

He leaves massive gaps in the middle of the park running round like a ginner chiwawa on ket.

Agreed.

I must have been watching a different game if JOC was 'outstanding' today, or are our standards really that low? First half he was effectively happy playing as another centre back, and the gap between the defence and our forwards was so ridiculously big that it was almost funny to see. Its no wonder we ended up hoofing it for 45 mins, as the midfield was nowhere to offer an outlet. He just doesn't seem to want to press the midfield a lot of the time, leaving us very dangerous gaps for teams to exploit and build attacks from.

Yes he does a lot of running, and he gives it his all, but what good is that if he is always two yards away from where he should be? I also lost count of the amount of simple passes to either the full backs pushing on, or the wingers, when they needed the ball in front of them, and JOC would proceed to pass the ball behind them and killing the momentum. To be fair he seemed to pick up a bit towards the end, and he did deliver a nice cross at one point, but overall I can't think of anything else positive he did.

He runs about a lot, creates the impression he is a tough tackling midfielder (when he is far from it), and gives his all, but I haven't seem him play well for a while now. As said, he just never seems to be where he should be, and he's not exactly an intimidating force in our midfield. Today was no different, and I would have had him off at half-time personally, would rather have seen Potter on. If JOC is playing, then he has to play the 'enforcer' or DM role and play it well, otherwise we are just wasting a more attacking option (especially at home), and it leaves Miller (our only true quality in the centre mid department) woefully exposed thus knocking him off his game too. It is no coincidence that we picked up second half when we started to press more, and didn't leave such a big gap between defence and attack. If we are going to play a DM, we need to find one who is on top of the game, and can really stamp their authority on the middle of the park.

Edited by blueandwhitematt

Agreed.

I must have been watching a different game if JOC was 'outstanding' today, or are our standards really that low? First half he was effectively happy playing as another centre back, and the gap between the defence and our forwards was so ridiculously big that it was almost funny to see. Its no wonder we ended up hoofing it for 45 mins, as the midfield was nowhere to offer an outlet. He just doesn't seem to want to press the midfield a lot of the time, leaving us very dangerous gaps for teams to exploit and build attacks from.

Yes he does a lot of running, and he gives it his all, but what good is that if he is always two yards away from where he should be? I also lost count of the amount of simple passes to either the full backs pushing on, or the wingers, when they needed the ball in front of them, and JOC would proceed to pass the ball behind them and killing the momentum. To be fair he seemed to pick up a bit towards the end, and he did deliver a nice cross at one point, but overall I can't think of anything else positive he did.

He runs about a lot, creates the impression he is a tough tackling midfielder (when he is far from it), and gives his all, but I haven't seem him play well for a while now. As said, he just never seems to be where he should be, and he's not exactly an intimidating force in our midfield. Today was no different, and I would have had him off at half-time personally, would rather have seen Potter on. If JOC is playing, then he has to play the 'enforcer' or DM role and play it well, otherwise we are just wasting a more attacking option (especially at home), and it leaves Miller (our only true quality in the centre mid department) woefully exposed thus knocking him off his game too. It is no coincidence that we picked up second half when we started to press more, and didn't leave such a big gap between defence and attack. If we are going to play a DM, we need to find one who is on top of the game, and can really stamp their authority on the middle of the park.

A running theme this season and one of the two major things that has been holding us back - that and the refusal to press the opponents when they have the ball, which you also mentioned.

A running theme this season and one of the two major things that has been holding us back - that and the refusal to press the opponents when they have the ball, which you also mentioned.

Don't get me started on pressuring the ball/opposition.

I'm sick of banging the same drum week after week.