Returning from Exeter - Travel News

Guest Bellsview

I admire him as a big Wednesday but still think he's tvvat.

Can't argue with that point tbh.

More drama than Eastenders at times - but at least he's there when it matters.

Guest Bellsview

Just got back. :-( that was a horrible journey and not one I wish to repeat.

Glad you're home safe and safe mate. Hope every other Owl also makes it.

Get some kip mate (or a beer or two) - you've more than earned and deserve it.

Hope MM reads this thread tomorrow - if he isn't proud to be an Owl after hearing accounts such as yours (and taking away the gutless performance of the first team) then he never will be.

You deserve your money back pal.

I saw M5 was closed and thought right I know Northampton is clear, took M4 to Swindon and got upto Oxford. All fine until got on A34. Took us four hours to do the last four miles until M40. M40 was bad but nowhere near as bad as southbound, BBC Oxfordshire had people phoning up saying it had took them 10 hours to do five miles.

Could be worse, boss is a Barnsley fan. Bus got down there, found match was off. Set off home at 1pm. Eight hours and they were still on M25. Still don't think they have got back. Just hope they and every fan makes it home safely.

Guest Bellsview

Great effort from Wednesday fans and hope everybody is now home safe

But i am staggered that anybody can slag Exeter off for working tirelessly to get the game on - that's exactly what they should be doing

Clearing a football pitch, 4 stands and an approach to the ground is one thing - taking into consideration 200 miles of roads and rails is quite another. I am staggwered by your short sightedness tbh.

The fact that people are still not home and have risked life and limb to get to/from a football match tells its own story. Exeter City might well have done their job, but somebody in the football league should have known better than to allow SWFC supporters to risk their lives getting to the game.

I saw M5 was closed and thought right I know Northampton is clear, took M4 to Swindon and got upto Oxford. All fine until got on A34. Took us four hours to do the last four miles until M40. M40 was bad but nowhere near as bad as southbound, BBC Oxfordshire had people phoning up saying it had took them 10 hours to do five miles.

Could be worse, boss is a Barnsley fan. Bus got down

there, found match was off. Set off home at 1pm. Eight hours and they were still on M25. Still don't think they have got back. Just hope they and every fan makes it home safely.

think my friend is on same bus, not heard from her since 5.00pm when she messaged and said 'stuck now for 5 hours but could be worse, could have gone to Exeter. So for that comment alone I hope they are still stuck :-)

Glad to hear people seem to have got back safely.

Guest Deleted member

Just woke up - got in at some ridiculous hour.

Managed to serenade the coach with songs for the last half hour of the journey - apologies to all sat nearby lol

Guest philkingsmullet

Morning all, I wanted to post a quick thank you to Steve and alan, who, whilst stuck on the M5, saw I was a Wednesday fan, and came over to offer me a brew! I should point out we were not moving at the time! Spent 4 hours chatting about what we had just witnessed, and the owls in genral!

Anyway, they both mentioned being on this site, so cheers guys, and I made it back for 1am!!

Very quickly, darren purse...... Someone needs to let the mgnt at s6 know, we need a mobile, athletic,composed centre half who can distribute the ball, this is not mr d purse.

Up the owls

Clearing a football pitch, 4 stands and an approach to the ground is one thing - taking into consideration 200 miles of roads and rails is quite another. I am staggwered by your short sightedness tbh.

The fact that people are still not home and have risked life and limb to get to/from a football match tells its own story. Exeter City might well have done their job, but somebody in the football league should have known better than to allow SWFC supporters to risk their lives getting to the game.

Can't agree with that - Exeter have a duty to their own fans as well - and as heroic as the efforts made by our fans were - it's seriously up to each individual to assess whether a journey is worth it.

What about anybody who may have booked rail tickets and/or hotels who stood to lose money - don't they count?

I can guarantee you that if it were us playing say, Saints and we said "well we could get the game on no problem but we're gonna cancel so we don't inconvenience the Saints fans" then this site would melt with the heat of indignation

It's ridiculous to blame a club for actually getting the game on - it's not them forcing people to travel - that lies with the individual.

Can't agree with that - Exeter have a duty to their own fans as well - and as heroic as the efforts made by our fans were - it's seriously up to each individual to assess whether a journey is worth it.

What about anybody who may have booked rail tickets and/or hotels who stood to lose money - don't they count?

I can guarantee you that if it were us playing say, Saints and we said "well we could get the game on no problem but we're gonna cancel so we don't inconvenience the Saints fans" then this site would melt with the heat of indignation

It's ridiculous to blame a club for actually getting the game on - it's not them forcing people to travel - that lies with the individual.

Well said Scrammy.

This

But still admire those fans who went.

I disagree! I lost the money on Two tickets and half a tank of petrol trying to even get there.

What the main problem is, is the fixture list. Games that are over 100 miles should not be played in Winter imo. Adding to the fact when the weather is like it is more added traffic to the roads make it more dangerous and causes mayhem just like yesterday.

Games should also take into account the weather for the travelling fans as they have paid their money to go and see a game. Not whether of not the ground is ok!

If there are over say 500 away tickets sold then the travelling fans should be taken into consideration to whether or not the game goes ahead.

Look at the Sheffield Derby a few seasons back. Called off due to it been unsafe. But the fans could have got there! That approach should have been taken into account yesterday because it was unsafe for the away fans to get there! We were told not to travel unless you really needed too on the news. Why didnt Exeter take this into account? They knew the weather was bad.

Imagine this:

Your in car travelling from Exeter to Sheffield. Its snowing. The M5's closed. The roads beyond are in a bad way. Your moaning about risking your life to watch a football game....................... Why wouldn't you stop as soon as you knew the predicament you were in, found a pub and stopped in a £20 a night travelodge.

Alternatively get the train. In Exeter for 10:45, back home for 22:30. No delays, warm, plenty of toilets. And if the worst happens a hotel is paid for by Crosscountry. In fact, that would have been a dream. Free stop over and a hell of an excuse to not go home to the dragon and 2 little monsters.

If the game was postponed. A hell of a lot of Wednesdayites on trains would have been between £30 - £100 short in train tickets. Saying that, many including myself would have gone anyway for the session. "Sheffield Wedensday, ruining my weekends since 1996" was again the case yesterday. Top day out ruined by 90 minutes of Wednesday.