Blunts had their chance

Guest BoomTownOwls

Guest BoomTownOwls

Sheffield Wednesday have endured our worst ever decade. We have spent three seasons in the third tier of English Football, never remotely looked like getting back to the Premier League and have finished below Sheffield United for 10 seasons.

We have had board room squabbles, fans being sued, political infighting and debt coming out of our ears. At times the light at the end of the tunnel has seemed so far away.

Despite this, only in 2001 did our average attendance dip below 20,000 when we achieved a still respectable average of 19,268. Even when we were relegated last season we still got an average of over 23,000. We continue to sell out most away grounds and now at last our incredible loyalty is about to be rewarded.

Milan Mandaric has cash and he is in his 70's. He isn't going to want to wait around to achieve success. Even better, he cannot make a profit unless the team is successful on the pitch. We have no debt at all and the good times are around the corner. We need to get out of this division this season and who knows where the momentum could take us next year. The optimism will certainly result in a huge increase in season ticket sales, I am sure of that!

In the mean time, Sheffield United have already seen their average attendance dip to 20,813. They will go even lower next season (even if they do manage to stop up :biggrin: ). During the bleakest period in our history they have had a brief 5 year stint where their crowds exceeded ours. What do they have to show for it? Mountains of debt, the prospect of an ever decreasing salary bill and the acceptance that The Super Owls are about to come steamrolling past them.

Do most of them publically deny it? Of course they do, but privately they all know that they had their chance to establish themselves as Sheffields biggest club and they blew it BIG TIME! Next season Wednesday will come above them, we will have higher attendances, more optimism and we generally have a brighter future. After all, how many other clubs of our size can genuinely say that we have no debt? The amount we earn, we can spend!

Sheffield Wednesday is on the move again, lets make sure we enjoy the ride! lol

Sheffield Wednesday have endured our worst ever decade. We have spent three seasons in the third tier of English Football, never remotely looked like getting back to the Premier League and have finished below Sheffield United for 10 seasons.

We have had board room squabbles, fans being sued, political infighting and debt coming out of our ears. At times the light at the end of the tunnel has seemed so far away.

Despite this, only in 2001 did our average attendance dip below 20,000 when we achieved a still respectable average of 19,268. Even when we were relegated last season we still got an average of over 23,000. We continue to sell out most away grounds and now at last our incredible loyalty is about to be rewarded.

Milan Mandaric has cash and he is in his 70's. He isn't going to want to wait around to achieve success. Even better, he cannot make a profit unless the team is successful on the pitch. We have no debt at all and the good times are around the corner. We need to get out of this division this season and who knows where the momentum could take us next year. The optimism will certainly result in a huge increase in season ticket sales, I am sure of that!

In the mean time, Sheffield United have already seen their average attendance dip to 20,813. They will go even lower next season (even if they do manage to stop up :biggrin: ). During the bleakest period in our history they have had a brief 5 year stint where their crowds exceeded ours. What do they have to show for it? Mountains of debt, the prospect of an ever decreasing salary bill and the acceptance that The Super Owls are about to come steamrolling past them.

Do most of them publically deny it? Of course they do, but privately they all know that they had their chance to establish themselves as Sheffields biggest club and they blew it BIG TIME! Next season Wednesday will come above them, we will have higher attendances, more optimism and we generally have a brighter future. After all, how many other clubs of our size can genuinely say that we have no debt? The amount we earn, we can spend!

Sheffield Wednesday is on the move again, lets make sure we enjoy the ride! lol

A great plus 10 post/thread . Absolutely spot on in terms of the Sheffield analysis; Those words should, nae must, be spoken on FH. Well said ! :cool:

I agree with the OP, they blew their chance although the last day relegation from the Premier League was a pivotal moment. Had they established themselves as a premiership side things could have been different. I still believe they were completely ripped off over the Tevez affair. Shame :laugh:

A hotel? :laugh:

the guy who delivered my asda food shopping at weekend was a blunt. I had a 5 minute chat with him about football before he oinked his way back home.

General concensus was we were lucky to get mandaric and without that we would be screwed.

They all do still genuinely believe that tevez and west ham are the only reason they arent in the premier league.

he thought the Tevez money was the only reason they showed debt. when i pointed out that even if the tevez money had been paid, it wouldnt be there next year he genuinely couldnt grasp that concept.

when i told him about the total debt, he said "well weve got the hotel, we can sell that and clear a lot of it off". :blink:

also suprisingly said that both teams should buy don valley, redevelop it and ground share..

delusional.

Did you not tell him that they don't own the hotel any more?

yup. and that they had been making a loss on it. and that they had first refusal to buy it back "when the economy improves" i.e. where they will have to pay more than they sold it for..

he goes every week apparently, and majority reckon they had no idea this was coming. or how bad it is.

I use to wonder why the blunts were always talking about us on pigs mad and RS, now i know! When your club is on the up, running smoothly and financially stable, you have nothing to moan about like takeover, relegation, winding up orders or how much debt we're in. (Although lets not get obsessed with them like they are us).

It feels good to see the cnuts who have ripped it out of us for the past few years rotting away in front of us while we're on the streight and narrow. Makes my hairs stand on end!

Being a Wednesday boy at the minute is mint!!!!!! :biggrin:

Praying they stay up this season. Winning the championship will be miles better after doing the double over them again.

Must admit, the thought of us playing them next season whilst we get promoted to the premier league and they get relegated to league 1 would be pretty awesome :biggrin:

Would be even sweeter if it was us vs them last game of season, if we win we get promoted and they get relegated :ph34r: