Football is in total meltdown - In more ways than one

Football in this country is in total meltdown in all kinds of different ways..

Portsmouth have been the unlucky ones where others could very easily have followed. They were never going to be able to sustain the wages they were paying with 20k attendances and so have hit the wall big time - with the club being put into administration and potentially relegated as a result

At other clubs players haven't been paid since the new year and don't look like being paid again any time soon

At our club we've got our chairman trying his best to do his job - but the players getting the brunt of the anger of the fans - and their wages being called into question

Coming through a recession (crossing fingers we don't experience a double dip and slip further back into financial uncertainty) means that the common man has to dig very deep to go to football matches and support their club.

To many it's not even in question and they attend no matter what

To others it's more of a consideration when weighing up what to do with their Saturday afternoon and their cash

The adverse news stories about players earning huge money yet the fans suffering from their clubs going into administration just serves further to fuel the anger

Other clubs will do a Portsmouth

Others will succeed on the pitch and so will stave off the anger of the fans - but the promotion to the Premier League can be poisoned if they then try and punch at a higher weight when they get there and end up like we did - relegated with huge wage bills, angry fans and financial issues

Every news item I read about football these days is a bad one

Where's football headed ??

Owlstalk Shop

Portsmouth have been the unlucky ones where others could very easily have followed. They were never going to be able to sustain the wages they were paying with 20k attendances and so have hit the wall big time - with the club being put into administration and potentially relegated as a result

At other clubs players haven't been paid since the new year and don't look like being paid again any time soon

At our club we've got our chairman trying his best to do his job - but the players getting the brunt of the anger of the fans - and their wages being called into question

Coming through a recession (crossing fingers we don't experience a double dip and slip further back into financial uncertainty) means that the common man has to dig very deep to go to football matches and support their club.

To others it's more of a consideration when weighing up what to do with their Saturday afternoon and their cash

The adverse news stories about players earning huge money yet the fans suffering from their clubs going into administration just serves further to fuel the anger

Others will succeed on the pitch and so will stave off the anger of the fans - but the promotion to the Premier League can be poisoned if they then try and punch at a higher weight when they get there and end up like we did - relegated with huge wage bills, angry fans and financial issues

Its not what it was.

Forget how we are the minute. Football is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago. Sky and the money has spoilt the game.

In the first Premier League season, the average player earned £80,000 a year. Now many get that in a week.

How can we get it back? We cancel our Sky subscriptions, we stop buying newspapers, we don't buy any merchandise, we stop buying tickets for away games. We boycott the companies that sponsor the Premier League clubs.

The only way to hit back, is fight with our own pockets.

Going to football ended for many when the stadiums were made all seater and you were made to sit down - in the seat that you bought - instead of being able to turn up and go stand with your mates, have a laugh, sing and support your team etc

totally agree with this, also putting up the prices so many people cannot afford to attend any more

Going to football ended for many when the stadiums were made all seater and you were made to sit down - in the seat that you bought - instead of being able to turn up and go stand with your mates, have a laugh, sing and support your team etc

100% nail on head

You can pin the entire trouble that football is in at the feet of Sky Sports and Murdoch.

They have generated this greed culture by throwing all this money into the Premier league and teams gambling their future payments in players on crazy money, the players and agents have as much to look at themselves for.

Maybe a total meltdown and a few clubs going to the wall may bring about a re-birth of football as happened in Germany after RTL went bust when they were doing a similar thing to Sky with the top flight.

Football needs to implode to recover.

It was a really short sentence, I don't know why people are struggling with it.

People have been bleating on about Sky corrupting the game for years, players wages too high blah blah blah. That's how things are now, it's not going to change, deal with it. No matter what state the game is in I'll be buying my season ticket every season and attending as many away games as possible. Smart people don't waste their time or energy worrying about things they can't change. Hence I don't care about the state of football as a whole, I don't care if Pompey go bust, I care about Wednesday and that's it.

People have been bleating on about Sky corrupting the game for years, players wages too high blah blah blah. That's how things are now, it's not going to change, deal with it. No matter what state the game is in I'll be buying my season ticket every season and attending as many away games as possible. Smart people don't waste their time or energy worrying about things they can't change. Hence I don't care about the state of football as a whole, I don't care if Pompey go bust, I care about Wednesday and that's it.

Go and ask your carer to come and read this thread and explain it to you

ffs

Owlstalk Shop

Football in some ways is almost a microcosm of the UK economy as a whole - many have borrowed too much and are now suffering for it.

I think we're going to see a situation pan out over the next decade where the number of professional clubs drops dramatically. I think football need to be regionalised at lower levels as it was years ago - it'll help attendances as the travelling costs will be less.

As I said, Jimmy Hill (and a little help from the scousers)

Scrapping the maximum wage also had a bearing on it!

The thing that MUST be tackled as a matter of urgency is player wages and agents fees

Nearly all clubs need streamlining - they are bloated and grotesque and literrly chew up money and spit it out

Football cannot sustain itself as it is so it needs to prioritise and make cuts appropriately

Please stop.

You don't care about the general state of football, even though we are Sheffield Wednesday FOOTBALL club?

Football will get the bloody nose it deserves.

Massive gambles been going on for too long. Chickens coming home to roost and all that.

I hope loads of premiership clubs end up in administration.

I'd love to see the Sky contract go boobies up but too many people buy sky.

But then I'm a stupid ludite who wants to see football operate as a sport.

Even in the seventies, when we were garbage, going to watch Wednesday at Rotherham with Roger Wylde scoring the winner, was exciting. I cant imagine League One being exciting next year.