Football is in total meltdown - In more ways than one

Go and ask your carer to come and read this thread and explain it to you

ffs

'kin do one.

All you've done is rehash the same debate that those amongst us who don't spend our lives on a message board (and I thought even those that do) have heard a million times before and took part in hundreds of times. Thinking you're some sort of modern day Walter Benjamin with your pretentious commentary on the modern game? Do me a favour mate.

swfc93 read the sentence before the part you bolded. It's all relative.

'kin do one.

All you've done is rehash the same debate that those amongst us who don't spend our lives on a message board (and I thought even those that do) have heard a million times before and took part in hundreds of times. Thinking you're some sort of modern day Walter Benjamin with your pretentious commentary on the modern game? Do me a favour mate.

If he was to "do one" we wouldnt have Owlstalk fool!

It was a really short sentence, I don't know why people are struggling with it.

People have been bleating on about Sky corrupting the game for years, players wages too high blah blah blah. That's how things are now, it's not going to change, deal with it. No matter what state the game is in I'll be buying my season ticket every season and attending as many away games as possible. Smart people don't waste their time or energy worrying about things they can't change. Hence I don't care about the state of football as a whole, I don't care if Pompey go bust, I care about Wednesday and that's it.

This sentence shows what is wrong with people today

Apathy stinks

The cant be arsed so take it up the arse brigade

If he was to "do one" we wouldnt have Owlstalk fool!

And that means everything he says should go unchallenged?

I'm pissed off after yet another gutless surrender that has effectly condemned us to League One, but I should've elaborated on my opening post to better contribute to the discussion.

The way the debate ends is either that football continues the way it's been going once the global financial climate is back in good health, or (much more idealistically and unlikely) the bubble bursts and it all goes back to grass roots.

'kin do one.

"Smart people don't waste their time or energy worrying about things they can't change"

This sentence? I heard this was Martin Luther King's motto.

This sentence shows what is wrong with people today

Apathy stinks

The cant be arsed so take it up the arse brigade

If there's an organisation that I don't know about that is going to give football back to the people then sign me up, I'll be at the front of the line asking where we're marching to. But that's not living in the real world unfortunately. All we can do is our part in keeping supporting our club through the good times and the bad.

If there's an organisation that I don't know about that is going to give football back to the people then sign me up, I'll be at the front of the line asking where we're marching to. But that's not living in the real world unfortunately. All we can do is our part in keeping supporting our club through the good times and the bad.

Fans could change it

We could change it

Owlstalk could start it

We want our football back

Guest totemowl

swfc93 did you just compare the rape of football by Sky to the oppression of an entire race? Seen it all now.

Damn. We suffer a 5-0 defeat that should set our expectations to be in League 1 next season, that should trigger a tsunami on Owlstalk. And someone comes along to put everything in perspective.

The original post was not to lament the death of football

Instead it was intended to just illustrate that there's just many differing issues hitting football all at once right now (and I've not even touched on player conduct on and off the pitch) and that all these points could very easily affect our club either indirectly or even hit our club and have significant impact

There's nowt pretentious about it - it's just rambling thoughts on football as it stands not being able to afford itself..

Owlstalk Shop

swfc93 did you just compare the rape of football by Sky to the oppression of an entire race? Seen it all now.

If you can read then you would know the answer to your own question, no. You said smart people don't worry about things they think they can't change, I was giving you an example (immaturely put) that you're wrong.

Please explain how Sky has damaged football, money wise?

Sky gives football clubs £xm pounds a year which is put in a budget and spent by clubs. Does Sky force clubs to overspend on wages, no.

Damn. We suffer a 5-0 defeat that should set our expectations to be in League 1 next season, that should trigger a tsunami on Owlstalk. And someone comes along to put everything in perspective.

Mate, I think today's result and performance relegated us. I 100% think we're in League One now, and I am heartbroken. But I'll keep going to the matches despite the internal conflict of wanting to sing for the club but not the players, I'll renew my season ticket for next season when my mates get their arses in gear, I'll hold my hands up when the Blades I know take the wee wee, before telling them to eff off. Because that's the Wednesday way. swfc93 made a ridiculous comparison, simple as.

FATTYBEAR, apologies for starting your topic off on a sour note, like I've said, I'm just angry and gutted about what's just happened. Hopefully I've given a better account of myself in my following posts.

The original post was not to lament the death of football

Instead it was intended to just illustrate that there's just many differing issues hitting football all at once right now (and I've not even touched on player conduct on and off the pitch) and that all these points could very easily affect our club either indirectly or even hit our club and have significant impact

There's nowt pretentious about it - it's just rambling thoughts on football as it stands not being able to afford itself..

I think someone else said this earlier in the thread but I believe footballs issues are reflected in society as a whole. The issue of living beyond your means and moral degredation (maybe putting it a bit strong :ph34r: ) are prevalent in UK society.

The money that has gone into football hasn't stayed in it, its just been pissed up the wall as there was always the next, ever increasing paycheque to cash.

Sky's involvement was akin to giving a fat kid a box of doughnuts. They weren't disciplined or forward thinking enough to care for the health of football, only that they'd be getting a bigger box next time.

the people in charge saw the cartoon $ signs in their eyes and thought they could do what they feck they wanted with no ramifications. :mellow:

FB

IMO Football in the UK will change enormously over the next 10 years.

The first thing to happen will be the Europa League, consisting just 5 clubs from England & 2 in Scotland ONLY and of course just the top clubs' from the other major leagues in Europe This is based purely on invitation from the organisers and the TV broadcasters. Don't get too excited there won't be any promotion or relegation to it.

Sky will gradually move away from broadcasting the English/Scottish leagues. The money will start to disappear and we will end up with 2 top divisions of 18 and another 2 regional ones of 20 and it will be a combined English & Scottish league pyramid with the regional ones being amateur/semi-pro.

What do others think? I know its a dark view but what arguments can be put against it when you see how football has been 'developed' in the last 5 years.

Edited by oakleyrob

swfc93, for your own good I'm not going to sugar coat this:

If you don't understand how Sky has damaged football you're not qualified to take part in a debate about the current state of the game.

:laugh: Ok, I'll end my contribution to this thread here then.

Thanks for showing your level of understanding by not answering my question anyway.