Buxton injured

Buxton injury blow

Posted on: Wed 03 Feb 2010

Sheffield Wednesday defender Lewis Buxton could be sidelined for up to four weeks with a hamstring strain.

Buxton pulled up during the Owls' home win over Plymouth Argyle last Saturday and may miss the remainder of Wednesday's February schedule in the Championship.

Manager Alan Irvine said: "Lewis has a hamstring strain and he could be out of action for four weeks.

"We will continue to monitor his situation closely and hopefully he might be fit before then.

"Lewis' absence gives Frank Simek a chance, so this is a good opportunity for him."

Meanwhile, Francis Jeffers will be assessed this week after the striker was withdrawn from the reserve clash with West Brom on Tuesday early in the game.

Guest mansfield owl

Best news ive had in ages ,buxton is not fit to lace simeks boots! HOORAY!

Edited by mansfield owl

Just a real shame he got injured when he did and as long as he was injured for. Seriously think there wasn't a better right back outside the prem when he was at his best or at least more consistant. I'd love him to to really well and get back to making some of those powerful runs down the wing

Guest wilkotheowl

Come on Frankie!

Yes, step up to the plate Mr. Simek. We all know you're the man !!

Jeffers is NO loss at all-born injured that bloke.......................................................

Guest trusty_left_peg

Really hope Simek comes back and is able to recapture the form of old. Otherwise we really need to look at completely revamping our full-back complement in the summer - Buxton is far more effective in the centre of defence in my opinion and we desperately need competition for Tommy Spurr.

Guest wednesday83

Great news that Buxtons out. Just hope he takes his time and doesnt rush back. We now have Frankie with Hinds to cover. I know his contract probably states he must play, but I hope when Buxton is fit Simek is not dropped straight away.

Guest Spitting Feathers

never like seeing a player get a long term injury, but Lewis Buxton will not be missed. he is one of the first players i would ship out if i was Irvine, along with Clarke and Jeffers. much better idea: Get Lee Bullen Back in!!

Frankie has a great chance now, but our track record of patience with injury prone players doesnt bode well for him. Steve MaC(The Knife)lean, Drew Talbot, and Akpo Sodje have all been examples of decent players who have had long term injury who were eventually shipped out. if this trend continues, Frankie's wednesday career is over if he gets injured again

as for Forest on Saturday, i think that we can take them. Forest have been punching above there weight really, and their loss last weekend might be a reality check for them.

Yep Nottingham Forrest away is just the sort of game you want somebody playing who is trying to get back some form, could be intreting how much this one could knock his confidenc even further back.

I agree

Best news ive had in ages ,buxton is not fit to lace simeks boots! HOORAY!

I am sure we will cope

Harvey Price could do a better job at right back that Buxton does

Last two quotes - stupid comments.

Buxton has done ok since Irvine been here.

I hope Simek does well but it has taken a long, long time to get anywhere near match fit. Hope you don't have egg on your face in the next 4 weeks.

I agree

Last two quotes - stupid comments.

Buxton has done ok since Irvine been here.

I hope Simek does well but it has taken a long, long time to get anywhere near match fit. Hope you don't have egg on your face in the next 4 weeks.

he looked sharp when he came on on Saturday

Much sharper than recently

So hopefully, this 4 weeks will cement him back as our regular right back and one of the best at this level