Melo

He's still adjusting to life in England, I'd say that Melo is one for next season.

Then why bring him in now?

Could have come to england at the end of the season to adapt to our way of life which is apprently so different it stops people from being able to play with a ball on some grass. That way he would have been kept "match fit" etc.

Definitely seems a strange signing to me, and even more so since he's barely touched a ball. Seriously I don't think many would have been asking for a new defensive mid during the transfer window.

So is he just third in line? Or is it with Semedo's contract being up at the end of the season, this a move to replace him in the long term?

He's quality, no doubts about that from what I've seen of him, yes the timing could seem a little odd if he's been bought with an eye for next season (as his cousin apparently said) but as Gray said sometimes you have to get players when they're available. Hopefully he'll pick up the language quickly and get some first team football sooner rather than later, if he's not playing first team would be nice to see him play some dev team football just to get an idea of the English game and keep up his fitness levels, although it could be seen as a bit insulting to buy the captain of a midtable Portuguese league team who's a crucial first team player that plays every match to then stick him in the "reserves"...

but as Gray said sometimes you have to get players when they're available.

we could have loaned him back to them tho? or maybe just somewhere else in Portugal?

Who knows... maybe we could have got a nice contribution towards his wages too, free up budget to go on a winger or something? Or maybe another defensive midfielder?

Nothing wrong with sticking him in the dev squad tho. Aren't they supposed to play the same systems as the first team? That would get him introduced to what is expected and allow us to maintain his fitness.

Maybe there is an underlying issue... if not injury, maybe the language barrier is proving too much for him at first and that's why he needs more time?

Might be wrong, but could it maybe be something to do with FFP as they only judge your accounts up until May? So maybe if we spend a bit now so we don't have to spend as much in the summer that will go towards next seasons losses?

sure. but then why not play him now? or at least give him more time from the bench?

sure. but then why not play him now? or at least give him more time from the bench?

Your guess as good as mine. Maybe he's not settled in properly yet. I don't think he's speaks any English either which could be a major reason with understanding how we play and what Gray wants him to do, who knows eh.