DJ has too much faith in Ross Barkley

Not often i criticise DJ but on this I believe he has made a rod for his own back.

Ross Barklay is obviously very talented but in my opinion he is no way ready for this level of football. He should be making his mistakes in League 1 where they are less likely to be punished. Not the Championship.

We are lacking in the midfield department primarily because Barklay just has not yet developed aspects to his game that are prerequisites at this level. Such as defensive, positional and tactical awareness.

Also his set peices are poor. Why does he keep taking them- even usurping Llera- a senior player

We have our own wonderkid- Liam Palmer who has been fantastic for Tranmere. He is more ready for the championship than Barklay. He is more experienced for a start.

I cannot understand why we are overlooking our own player in favour of developing someone else's especially as it is currently detrimental to us.

Not often i criticise DJ but on this I believe he has made a rod for his own back.

Ross Barklay is obviously very talented but in my opinion he is no way ready for this level of football. He should be making his mistakes in League 1 where they are less likely to be punished. Not the Championship.

We are lacking in the midfield department primarily because Barklay just has not yet developed aspects to his game that are prerequisites at this level. Such as defensive, positional and tactical awareness.

Also his set peices are poor. Why does he keep taking them- even usurping Llera- a senior player

We have our own wonderkid- Liam Palmer who has been fantastic for Tranmere. He is more ready for the championship than Barklay. He is more experienced for a start.

I cannot understand why we are overlooking our own player in favour of developing someone else's especially as it is currently detrimental to us.

Yep, probably more talented than McCabe but I know who I'd pick between the two at the moment. Barkley's lack of stomach for a tackle was quite startling on Saturday too.

Edited by Dagmeister

The problem is that he's an 18 year old kid and we are putting an awful lot of pressure on him to perform.

You can see that the boy has talent, an abundance of it, but he's playing in this new "team" with zero confidence.

I'm also concerned that we've adjusted our formation to accommodate him, though you could argue that the change to 4-3-3 has helped Semedo.

The problem is that he's an 18 year old kid and we are putting an awful lot of pressure on him to perform.

You can see that the boy has talent, an abundance of it, but he's playing in this new "team" with zero confidence.

I'm also concerned that we've adjusted our formation to accommodate him, though you could argue that the change to 4-3-3 has helped Semedo.

That's the problem though. He's an 18 year old kid who's only on a 28 day loan. If he were here for the season he could be drafted in and out and we'd no doubt see some gems of performances. At the moment though we need players to assert themselves in the middle and he's just not that player... yet.

Barkley has been the best player in the team on a couple of occasions and if all of our players moved the ball as quickly as he does in central and attacking areas, we wouldn't end up in the situation that we so often do- with our back 4 passing the ball from side to side as the opposition sit in a couple of banks of 4 giggling whilst they watch.

We're so ponderous and lacking in tempo at times- that has to change.

Barkley and McCabe are the key players to get us out of this IMO.

Looked great when he picked the ball up in midfield and made forward runs with it on Saturday. Other than that though he didn't do much for me and hasn't done so far. If we keep him I'm sure he will come good though, if he keeps making those kinds of forward runs then definitely as we had no one else really do that through the centre of the park.

Barkley has been the best player in the team on a couple of occasions and if all of our players moved the ball as quickly as he does in central and attacking areas, we wouldn't end up in the situation that we so often do- with our back 4 passing the ball from side to side as the opposition sit in a couple of banks of 4 giggling whilst they watch.

No teams have a midfield full of people who can zip the ball around and spot passes at this level. Most have a balance of creators and enforcers.

There were a few occasions where a bit more awareness would have released antonio into the clear on saturday but he did not pick up on them.

He's gonna be a good player but not for a few years will he be able to hold his own at this level or above imo.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Thought Barkley did well Saturday, better than McCabe to be fair.

The problem lies in our ability to defend which has been our problem all season and prior to Barkley coming in.

We need to avoid looking for scapegoats. The problem is more a collective one than an individual one.

The loan move to Tranmere is perfect for Palmer and will hopefully see him develop to a point where he can compete for the first team in the Championship.

But Barkley is a few levels higher already, bags of ability.

I think the main issue was starting Barkley and Bothroyd together when they weren't match fit.

It's a physical league and both of them got dropped in at the deep end hoping their quality would see them through.

It didn't work.

Fantastic player - showed some amazing skills on Saturday

He's not a ball winner though and this is where some Wednesday fans get 'reyt confused'

he showed some good skills yeah.

but fantastic player? not yet- for a start he can't shoot on target or hit a corner/ free kick.

He's not a ball winner though and this is where some Wednesday fans get 'reyt confused'

I think a lot of Wednesday fans want every player to be a ball winner.

The only player I've never seen criticised for 'being lightweight' and 'not going in for the 50/50s' is Kirkland, and i'm sure that will change in the next couple of weeks as he becomes the new booboy and people start asking why he isn't throwing himself into tackles on the half way line like Lee Peacock used to.

A load of rubbish. Every footballer should have the ability to work for the team in order to retain possession i.e pressing and marking opponents. Not stand aside and let opponents walk past you. Since he came into the team we have plummeted down the table and he has had an adverse effect on the rest of the midfield.

I think Wolves has been his only disappointing performance since he has been here. The rest of the time i have been very impressed with his all round game.

He is light years ahead of Palmer.

It'll be a big loss to the squad if we don't renew his loan.

Fantastic player - definitely

Top quality and getting better each game

goals/ assists? (apart from the pen)

considering he provides nothing defensively he should at least provide this if he is such a fantastic player.

I'm not saying he won't become a fantastic player but he aint yet.

Barkley has been the best player in the team on a couple of occasions and if all of our players moved the ball as quickly as he does in central and attacking areas, w

e wouldn't end up in the situation that we so often do- with our back 4 passing the ball from side to side as the opposition sit in a couple of banks of 4 giggling whilst they watch.

At this level of football, prfessional league, you are not worth jack **** if you don't work off the ball. Opposition players drift past Barkley like he's not there. We need him to combine his obvious talent with a work ethic, Megson style. No one stops him running and no one stops his team mates shouting, they have responsibility to bully him into the required work.