Why wont anyone buy us?

Was completely the wrong time to implode wasn't it. What's happened in the meantime is pretty much impossible to bridge.

Yep. The advent of the premier league (92-93) and euro 96 totally transformed football. We singularly failed to anticipate this and are still suffering. I don't necessarily see that as bad luck, more rank bad management.

I do, however, put down as bad luck the absence of huge parachute payments for teams relegated when we were in 2000, by comparison to the ridiculous rewards for failure that exist now.

When you look at the clubs who have been taken over in recent years, it does seem odd that we're struggling to find someone who's willing and able.

Forest were taken over a few years ago and I struggle to see what they offered over us as an investment. Granted they only have Notts County to compete with whilst the Blades have far more fans, but Sheffield is a much bigger city, so that can't be the issue. Neither Nottingham or Sheffield are seen as 'fashionable' cities and neither attract a huge amount of investment, so that can't be the issue. Huge investment was required to stabilise Forest within the Championship and push them towards the play-offs, which would be the same for us, so that can't be the issue.

There must be something else going on behind the scenes, as it simply doesn't make sense.

Tom22709 I just looked at your profile and I do feel for you mate, you have never seen a good team in your adult life so fair play for sticking by us. but fact is if the early 90's team were the team of today we would have been pulling plenty of investors and crowds up to 40K every week. Football in this country was reborn after euro 96, unfortunately that was the early days in our decline. Attendances shot up after this period and we missed out big time

I'll guarantee investors will be put off by our stadium. It needs so much work doing to bring it up to a reasonable standard that it wouldn't cost that much more to build a new one in a less residential area. 2018 plans were quoted costing around £22m, to put that into perspective pride park cost £28m to build. New owners would much rather look at clubs that already have these facilities in place. See Hull, Leicester, Cardiff etc

Was completely the wrong time to implode wasn't it. What's happened in the meantime is pretty much impossible to bridge. 

It's heartbreaking, isn't it? I remember watching the cup finals in '93 after finishing 3rd in the league the season before. As a young lad, I just assumed this was our rightful place in the the world and it would always be the same. What's happened in football, and to us more specifically, in the intervening years has made it nigh on impossible for a club like ours to claw their way back to the same position. It's a closed shop now and only Manchester City-levels of investment could change that.

I feel really sorry for our younger fans who will have no memories of Wednesday being one of the top teams. 

Weren't forest previously owned by a local businessman (now deceased) whose time at the club made them reasonably attractive /more modern than we are?

That is probably hugely simplistic, but sure the basics of it are right.

The investment they've had over the years has to be repaid, though. When Nigel Doughty died, the club were left in a real mess and the fans were fearing the worst. They had barely got a squad left and just survived a relegation scrap, finishing 20th in the Championship. At the time of the takeover in 2012, the Al-Hasawi family took on the outstanding debt to the Doughtys, which stood at £85.3m, though this was eventually reduced to a £20m loan.

When you look at the clubs who have been taken over in recent years, it does seem odd that we're struggling to find someone who's willing and able.

Forest were taken over a few years ago and I struggle to see what they offered over us as an investment. Granted they only have Notts County to compete with whilst the Blades have far more fans, but Sheffield is a much bigger city, so that can't be the issue. Neither Nottingham or Sheffield are seen as 'fashionable' cities and neither attract a huge amount of investment, so that can't be the issue. Huge investment was required to stabilise Forest within the Championship and push them towards the play-offs, which would be the same for us, so that can't be the issue.

There must be something else going on behind the scenes, as it simply doesn't make sense.

Also the likes of Hull, Leicester, Bournemouth, Derby, Ipswich, Southampton have seen significant investment put in. Hardly bigger clubs than us or much more glamorous locations.

Yet we can't get anybody (actually that's not true, Milan did invest when nobody else would, but he won't put in the funds for anything more than treading water)

I'll guarantee investors will be put off by our stadium. It needs so much work doing to bring it up to a reasonable standard that it wouldn't cost that much more to build a new one in a less residential area. 2018 plans were quoted costing around £22m, to put that into perspective pride park cost £28m to build. New owners would much rather look at clubs that already have these facilities in place. See Hull, Leicester, Cardiff etc

Big investors would look at new build opportunties at any club;

1. Cheaper ongoing maintenance costs

2. Commercial opps by combining new build with residential units i.e. large sales potential (they offload risk by partnering with developers etc.).

3. Purpose built commercial premises etc.

4. Opportunity to align different club activities/income streams i.e. player development programmes and traingin facilities, larger Megastore and cafe type set up all on one site etc.

Etc.

have you ever heard or rewiring the ground?

When they say running costs on Hillsborough, other than electricity what are the other costs?

I don't buy that for a minute.

22m to redevelop Hillsboro with 45000 seats, pride park and that Cardiff metal shed only have 30k?

Massive difference.

The most fifa approved ground in the uk bid due to transport links, areas round ground for fans zones ect....

We're not as big as we like to think. We compare ourselves to leeds but nobody else in the country does. We're a medium sized club with more fans that don't turn up than any other club. We're not massively expensive to watch so the income isn't great and as has been pointed out, the ground needs some money spent. We're not that appealing and despite what some say on here, we're lucky Milan came along when he did.

Edited by archieswfc

Where like a Land Rover on wheel barrow wheels, that the problem something's got to give! either fork out the money on new wheels or we will loose the lot.

This analogy works for the commercial & business, playing team, marketing and Facilities!

Our ford ka of a development squad seem to be doing ok though.

Reading the Fans Forum thread, the OP says that PA didn't believe the disaster was putting off any buyers.

If we really do have the potential that people have harped on about for years, then why aren't genuine buyers with real money queueing up on the bridge over the river Don, while other clubs have been taken over?

Its simple................ old tight arse Mandaric is asking for stupid money for the club.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

It's not the ground, there's nothing wrong with the ground that a few million wouldn't fix.  MUCH cheaper than building a new one, and selling off Hillsborough for development. The ground costs £500k a year. That figure's from the club.

The figures for building a new ground just don't stack up.

There's plenty of room for commercial development within the current structure. Just go back to the plans for development that were drawn up for the World Cup bid, it was a fantastic design.

We have potential, as per the documentary that hilariously revealed the pigs for sale at the end, it said that everyone knew the best buy in the UK was Sheffield Wednesday but we weren't available at the time.

So the only thing that can be holding up the sale is the lack of sellers willing to commit to the purchase price and obligations of the deal on the table, and that have enough money to invest and drive the club forward.

We've been close a couple of times, and VERY close with Mamadov, that takeover was being discussed between all league club representatives at the Portugal meeting earlier this year as a very real and positive takeover, and that Mamadov was seen as a football man, and the right man. That's a fact from someone who was there...

So you never know that one may come back.

Eventually it will happen, someone will be willing to give MM\PA etc. what they want for the club, and we'll move on. Just hope it's the right person or group.