Tomorrow we join the 5,000 club

Our game tomorrow V Norwich will be our 5,000 league match. We join a handful of others who have reached that milestone.

Preston North End

Burnley

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Derby County

Bolton Wanderers

West Bromwich Albion

Blackburn Rovers

Notts County

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Who is the other club - the OS says we will be the 10th EFL club to achieve it - there are only 8 listed above?

Just done a search, and according to their website, Gillingham made 5,000 in October 2023, which makes them no9, and we will be no 10.

• Like 2

We're older than some on that list. Did they get there first because they were in the League while we were in the Alliance for the first two seasons? Or is it also partly down to us spending a fair amount of time in the top flight with fewer teams in it (albeit I'm not sure if that was actually the case for most of our time at that level). 

2 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

We're older than some on that list. Did they get there first because they were in the League while we were in the Alliance for the first two seasons? Or is it also partly down to us spending a fair amount of time in the top flight with fewer teams in it (albeit I'm not sure if that was actually the case for most of our time at that level). 

Bit of both. For a long time the top two divisions played 42 matches and the bottom two 46.

Here’s the Football League’s list https://www.efl.com/about-the-efl/the-5000-club/#:~:text=Derby County's inaugural game came,in Sky Bet League One.

Gillingham certainly aren’t one of the 5000 club, they were the opposites for Notts County’s 5000th game. That may be why their name came up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

Bit of both. For a long time the top two divisions played 42 matches and the bottom two 46.

Here’s the Football League’s list https://www.efl.com/about-the-efl/the-5000-club/#:~:text=Derby County's inaugural game came,in Sky Bet League One.

Gillingham certainly aren’t one of the 5000 club, they were the opposites for Notts County’s 5000th game. That may be why their name came up.

Yh you're correct, i misread, Gillingham were the team County played, so if we are the 10th, I still don't know who is No 9 ?

1 minute ago, andypandy said:

Yh you're correct, i misread, Gillingham were the team County played, so if we are the 10th, I still don't know who is No 9 ?

Notts County are the 9th. They would have been a few years earlier if they hadn’t dropped out the league for a bit.

6 minutes ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

Notts County are the 9th. They would have been a few years earlier if they hadn’t dropped out the league for a bit.

37 minutes ago, marconi said:

Would imagine Stoke to be one.

I have County on my list of 8, @marconi mentioned Stoke, so checking their website they have played well over 5000 games, so that fits in with us being No 10.

4 minutes ago, andypandy said:

I have County on my list of 8, @marconi mentioned Stoke, so checking their website they have played well over 5000 games, so that fits in with us being No 10.

Sorry, I misread your list. Must be Stoke, although they were out of the league for a few years in the early twentieth century.

6 minutes ago, andypandy said:

We got there in the end, we can all sleep tonight, and I will book in at Specsavers lol 

I went there and the guy testing my eyes looked like Mr Magoo - or at least I think he did - I couldn't really see him. 

• Haha 1