How to run a business (football club)...some free advice

One of the UK's most successful business leaders, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, said today..

"The first thing to do is get the right people In the right boxes who are managing and organising the club and make sure we get recruitment right. It's such a vital part of running a football club today, finding new players.

You need the right organisation structure. The coach reports to the Sporting Director who then reports to the Chief Executive. You need to figure out where you put recruitment and strategy, get the organisation right and then populate it with people who are best in class"

Bit of a contrast to where we are today and the key point is the owner is not running the day today in this plan of approach. We have DR, his coaches and a new head of recruitment with pedigree in the game, but there it ends and if its is true DR is being asked to book hotels then perhaps there is room for some changes to make progress.

• Like 3

Well Mr ratcliffe would know how to set up a structure and work with the best people, he's a businessman who's been very successful.

We, however, have got a very successful businessman's (obviously) least favourite son in charge of our affairs and boy does it show. He's been placed far away from the family firm and kept occupied on the other side of the world where he can't fizz up the family business. 

And that's why we're never getting anywhere with this spoilt idiot in charge. Need I add chansiri out or was all that enough?

• Like 8

We (everybody with any sense) has said this for years. You simply Cannot run SWFC fromThailand on your own.  Even IF ! you knew what you were doing.

You need structure, proper motivated people in the right jobs, a medium and long term strategy and the support of everyone at the club.

It shouldn't need saying it's so obvious.

• Like 9

I totally agree it is obvious, to everyone except DC it seems. I wrote a reasoned and polite letter to him a few months ago in the Xisco time to make sure he understood the obvious. All I got back was an email from somebody in Communications thanking me for my letter which would be passed on to the Chairman. Predictably, no response. He has got a very rich (and successful) family, but at some point patience will wear thin. I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. The problem we have is that our club is a massively reduced value asset and my fear is that unless we get an offer which makes at least break even sense to DC we will most likely go on like this. I hope I'm wrong.

Most football clubs are running continually at losses. If you ran a ‘business’ the same way, you wouldn’t have a business for very long.

Football clubs are not businesses. They are playthings for the wealthy and money launderers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

Most football clubs are running continually at losses. If you ran a ‘business’ the same way, you wouldn’t have a business for very long.

Football clubs are not businesses. They are playthings for the wealthy and money launderers.

Agree. But, I'm sure that I speak for the majority, including the religious zealots amongst us, when I say that I'd prefer being owned and run by a mexican drug cartel who launder their money over the current incumbent at the helm!

UTO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TheHooter said:

One of the UK's most successful business leaders, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, said today..

"The first thing to do is get the right people In the right boxes who are managing and organising the club and make sure we get recruitment right. It's such a vital part of running a football club today, finding new players.

You need the right organisation structure. The coach reports to the Sporting Director who then reports to the Chief Executive. You need to figure out where you put recruitment and strategy, get the organisation right and then populate it with people who are best in class"

Just imagine if all 24 Championship clubs were run this way.

Imagine if they all had owners who had fantastic football brains and business acumen.

The fact is only 3 clubs can be successful, gaining promotion

and 3 clubs are guaranteed to be relegated. You can gaurantee that the fans of the relegated will say they have a clueless owner who lacks ambition.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

A caller rang Radio Sheffield the other saying "why can't we have investment like Ipswich".

It made me think with FFP rules its not that simple because there's a 30 million over 3 years limit.

My view is instead of overspending by 10 million each season

the best policy is to time it right, overspend by 2 million, then 2 million the following year,

then in the 3rd year go for it with a 26 million over spend and just hope other clubs aren't also massively overspending during the same season. 

• Like 1

So almost any fan would do a better job, or at least have a better clue than Chanser. Peachy. Do your stuff, independent regulator.

Also as an aside, anyone else see DR and read it as "democratic republic" every time?

7 hours ago, BOOFABI said:

So almost any fan would do a better job, or at least have a better clue than Chanser. Peachy. Do your stuff, independent regulator.

Also as an aside, anyone else see DR and read it as "democratic republic" every time?

Yes. In my mind I now associate Röhl with Congo.  The image won't go away.  German imperialism in Africa pre WW1 etc.  It's giving me nightmares.  That combined with 0-6...… the wife now takes charge of my razor blades set.  

9 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

A caller rang Radio Sheffield the other saying "why can't we have investment like Ipswich".

It made me think with FFP rules its not that simple because there's a 30 million over 3 years limit.

My view is instead of overspending by 10 million each season

the best policy is to time it right, overspend by 2 million, then 2 million the following year,

then in the 3rd year go for it with a 26 million over spend and just hope other clubs aren't also massively overspending during the same season. 

Ipswich Town’s accounts show that the previous filed accounts (not including last season, yet to be filed) show that the previous 2 seasons show losses totalling over £30m. So it might just be in the best interests of Ipswich Town that they are promoted, otherwise, when they file last seasons accounts, they may well be in breach of P&S.

At least they seem to have infrastructure and a long term plan. But who knows where they might be in another couple of seasons?

What was the answer given by RS to this callers question?

The answer is not just about money.

How have Luton Town managed to do what they’ve done in a relative short period of time, with low attendances etc? They had a vision aligned with their values and stuck by them.

1 hour ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

Ipswich Town’s accounts show that the previous filed accounts (not including last season, yet to be filed) show that the previous 2 seasons show losses totalling over £30m. So it might just be in the best interests of Ipswich Town that they are promoted, otherwise, when they file last seasons accounts, they may well be in breach of P&S.

At least they seem to have infrastructure and a long term plan. But who knows where they might be in another couple of seasons?

What was the answer given by RS to this callers question?

The answer is not just about money.

How have Luton Town managed to do what they’ve done in a relative short period of time, with low attendances etc? They had a vision aligned with their values and stuck by them.

Ipswich spent an enormous amount of money for a league one club, even more so last season than the previous two. They might be better run than we are overall (I don’t know to be honest) but either way they’re taking a huge gamble as they’re bound to be over the £39m losses when they file their next accounts. If they don’t get promoted this season I can’t see as they’ll have any choice but to cash in on one or two of their most valuable assets to redress the financial balance.

Easy to say it, harder to do it. Even if you’re a rich intelligent man like Ratcliffe backed by billions you can still get it wrong, as he has in the past two clubs they have owned: https://www.ft.com/content/b837272e-6292-432e-aa25-acbee8dd268c

Mistakes cited include overspending on big name players…. Seems very familiar story. Or maybe he’s learnt from the past two clubs he’s not had that much of an impact on. 

Whilst our chairman is an absolute cretin, many of the mistakes made were celebrated the time by the overwhelming majority on here and also are made by owners all over the globe. 

I’d love for us to be run sensibly, sustainably, successfully but there’s a lot that want big name signings. Spend our way to success and have little to no patience. Just look at the bed wetting at the end of January window.