Bootham Crescent memories

It was the Save Our Owls season, put on by the Sheffield Star. We were well into the season but had no idea that it would go down to the wire against Southend. So up to York the five of us went. York city wore a gaudy kit with a big Y  in white I think with a purple shirt livery.

We had difficulty throughout the match getting into the York City half. Disconsolate in our 3-0 defeat we made it to the Curry Center on London Road where I punished myself with a Lamb Vindaloo, Rice and Chapati. I remember knocking next day at Achesons because I'd made a big play of how we were going to hammer York. We only won one of our last 23 appearances failing to score on 17 occasions    

Dropped a goolie  in first para. This was the second tier in which we were relegated; SOO was launched the following season.. The Southend game came the following season. 

5 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

It was the Save Our Owls season, put on by the Sheffield Star. We were well into the season but had no idea that it would go down to the wire against Southend. So up to York the five of us went. York city wore a gaudy kit with a big Y  in white I think with a purple shirt livery.

We had difficulty throughout the match getting into the York City half. Disconsolate in our 3-0 defeat we made it to the Curry Center on London Road where I punished myself with a Lamb Vindaloo, Rice and Chapati. I remember knocking next day at Achesons because I'd made a big play of how we were going to hammer York. We only won one of our last 23 appearances failing to score on 17 occasions    

Dropped a goolie  in first para. This was the second tier in which we were relegated; SOO was launched the following season.. The Southend game came the following season. 

The save our owls was a couple of years before ,we were in the old 2nd and couldn't buy a win 

It gradually just fizzled out as there was no hope and we was relegated with a good few matches left 

17 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I know quite a few people who live in York, some are ‘natives’ and some are people who have moved there but the story always seems to mirror yours. Everyone supports other teams with York City a bit of an afterthought. York is a good sized and affluent city so you’d think they do a bit better but no one seems to care that much. 

I do know House Prices in York are astronomical, particularly in areas close to the station, so I’m not surprised Bootham has been sold. 

Are there any bigger towns or cities with a club in a lower division? Can only think of Slough as another contender…

There are a few in the rugby league Mersey swamp - Warrington's a similar size. The biggest town without a league side (this was back when York were in the FL) was somewhere horrid in Essex - Grays, Basildon or similar. (presumably full of West Ham / MU fans).

• Like 1