Bootham Crescent memories

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Anyone remember the pre season game there 85-86 I think? 2-2 and I vaguely remember Chapman scoring.

I think that was my only visit there, but cant remember the year.

I flew over BC quite a few times though, as my liittle plane was at Rufforth, so flew over York lots. Probably got some pics from above somewhere.

So sad to hear its been bulldozed tomorrow

Edited by wakefieldowl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, suffering_owl said:

I'm York born n bred and in my youth attended York games home and away in the late 80's.

This all changed in 1990 on my mates birthday. His dad decided to take a few of us to Hillsborough to watch the 4-2 defeat to Spurs, Gary Lineker scored twice.

Even though we lost that day, I felt like I'd attended my first "proper" football match. The atmosphere standing on the old Kop, bouncing, swaying back and forth and singing like a lunatic got me hooked. I've been an Owl ever since.

This afternoon I paid one final visit to Bootham Crescent before it's bulldozed to make way for a new housing development.

On my way out I picked up this pre kick off framed photo that has been hanging somewhere in Bootham Cresent from our pre-season friendly in 2015. 

Mods - If this is the wrong section please move 😀

20211128_185606.thumb.jpg.ceeba5f5cbb8edcc1030c2cdcbcd76b2.jpg

I’ve lived in York for 20 years now and have been a few times to watch York. My lad has been mascot there as well and now plays for the academy.

I’ve not been to the new ground but our lass and the lad have in corporate and loved it.

Bootham was a proper ground in the old style and it’s sad to see it go 

Been once on a football special train (Pre Inter City Owl) in the 70’s.

cant remember score other than I think Denis Leman scored.

What was memorable was the longest ever train journey back from York to Sheffield. 

9 times, 9 bloody times, the communication chord was pulled as people kept getting off at whichever South Yorkshire pit village we went through where they lived.

nearly every carriage was wrecked (they were them old ones where 6 people would sit in their own compartment).

Some lads came in ours to start wrecking that. They didn’t.... 

Only been once, to a friendly about 6 years ago, think we won, can't remember the score, with Maguire (I think) scoring from distance. It was the 100th different ground I've seen Wednesday play on (which now stands at 112)

Remember Wednesdayites having a laugh with their keeper, giving it the "England's number one" song. Until he turned round and shouted "I'm Irish", so quick as a flash it became "Ireland's number one" 

• Like 1

Always loved the occasional game at York, either watching Wednesday or just going as a neutral. Great place to make a full day or weekend of the game.

Remember one of our recent pre-season games there falling on the same day as the races. 

We were  not allowed in our favourite pub (The Graduate) because 'No football colours'. The only person in our party in any Wednesday clothing was my then 6 year old daughter! Bloody hooligan!

Speaking of hooligans, we saw loads of drunken fighting that day. And every single incident was between racing fans in nice suits and dresses. Didn't see a single bit of football related trouble but tons of trouble from the racing fans.

11 hours ago, Basement Jack said:

So during our stay in York itself while the mrs was shopping I had a wonder up to Bootham. Sad really seeing the old derelict stadium

I don’t think Wednesday/ York paths have crossed that much in my time. Not in a meaningful way anyway

Remember the Houchen and Walwyn being very good for them and of course Steve Watson is manager now

He left his position a couple of weeks ago, not sure if he jumped or was pushed.

Been to York 2 or 3 times for pre season games, we always seem to play York, Scunthorpe and Chesterfield in Pre season game for some reason.
Was a good old school lower league ground with plenty of character. I do understand why a lot of the old grounds have gone now but still a shame.

28 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He left his position a couple of weeks ago, not sure if he jumped or was pushed.

Been to York 2 or 3 times for pre season games, we always seem to play York, Scunthorpe and Chesterfield in Pre season game for some reason.
Was a good old school lower league ground with plenty of character. I do understand why a lot of the old grounds have gone now but still a shame.

I didn’t know that mate👍

Yeah it’s nostalgia with the grounds. I love the history around them and their character but it has to be said for comfort , safety  etc the experience is better I guess in the new grounds if not the atmospheres 

36 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The board had backed Steve Watson and he wasn't getting the results. They missed out on promotion due to the Covid issue but they just haven't fired this season. I had a really good chat with him a while ago and he is a really nice bloke and loved his time at Hillsborough

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Some evil property dealer 

There's probably more to it, but if I remember rightly, vacating Bootham Crescent was conditional as part of "saving" the club when they nearly went to the wall a few years ago. The new stadium is nice enough and is part of a much wider development that's probably better/more practical for the City, but as a traditionalist I hate seeing BC go.

I'm generally an advocate for Wednesday leaving Hillsborough eventually whenever the subject comes up on here, but I feel sad just looking at these pics of Bootham Crescent. Leaving Hillsborough would be an absolute nightmare. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

I didn’t know that mate👍

Yeah it’s nostalgia with the grounds. I love the history around them and their character but it has to be said for comfort , safety  etc the experience is better I guess in the new grounds if not the atmospheres 

I can understand clubs like Chesterfield and York moving.
Probably cheaper and easier to build a new ground then redevelop the old one.

With the old grounds I like to think of all the people who have walked down the same streets at 2pm to 3pm on a Saturday, most of them are probably long gone now. How many pints have been pulled for supporters at any old boozers near by as they discussed the game.
Find most of the new grounds a bit bland, only one I don't mind is Rotherhams as you actually feel like you are in Rotherham (Which might not be a good thing I guess) but do understand that times move on.

23 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I can understand clubs like Chesterfield and York moving.
Probably cheaper and easier to build a new ground then redevelop the old one.

With the old grounds I like to think of all the people who have walked down the same streets at 2pm to 3pm on a Saturday, most of them are probably long gone now. How many pints have been pulled for supporters at any old boozers near by as they discussed the game.
Find most of the new grounds a bit bland, only one I don't mind is Rotherhams as you actually feel like you are in Rotherham (Which might not be a good thing I guess) but do understand that times move on.

Bootham Crescent is prime real estate and just outside the town centre. The new ground has 1 pub nearby and is a bus ride out of town and on the edge of the Monks Cross shopping site.

The pubs in York are like most city centres and have struggled but with the tourist footfall in the city don't rely on football fans for trade. The York pubs were the Exhibition, Bootham Tavern and the Red Lion off Walmgate (YNS boozer). 

The new stadium also houses York City Knights RL Team who are very ambitious and aim to be in SL ASAP. 

12 hours ago, Animis said:

Sorry April 77 - how time flies lol Here's the match report from the star:

York 77 match report.jpg

York Match report 2.jpg

I went to this game with my mate on one of the supporters club coaches I think. I was 14. Didn't tell my parents I was going and they were in the WMC when I got back so they never knew.

The 70's eh!

• Like 1

Always have a soft spot for York City

I was there around 89/90 as a ballboy due to playing for their junior teams,

I drew the short straw and ended up in front of the away end that was packed out with Grimsby fans and their inflatable haddocks 

I was 11 or 12 at the time but that didnt stop them giving me dogs abuse for the full match, honestly if you spoke to kids nowadays like they did me it would have its own full blown enquiry 

Also had a mate who played for them for 4 years in the mid to late nineties