Bootham Crescent memories

In 1990 I was up in Harrogate on business, Wednesday were playing gown south somewhere so I nipped over to Boothham Crescent to watch York City play Doncaster Rovers.

Big deal you might think but it was the first match that York had played at home since the tragic death of young David Longhurst who died on the field after suffering a heart attack.

Donny , managed by Billy Bremner were top of the league and York brushed them aside on a wave of emotion. I can’t remember the score but I remember that it was an extremely uplifting day and I’m glad that I was there.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The new stadium also houses York City Knights RL Team who are very ambitious and aim to be in SL ASAP. 

I wonder why the football club isn't bigger than it is. 

York's a decent size city, population of over 200,000, a big tourist destination and a potential huge catchment area. You'd think it's an area that wouldn't struggle for investment either.

I guess a lot of that has been historically cannibalised and dominated by Leeds, but still. You look at half the clubs we're playing at this level and on paper York wouldn't seem out of place. 

16 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I wonder why the football club isn't bigger than it is. 

York's a decent size city, population of over 200,000, a big tourist destination and a potential huge catchment area. You'd think it's an area that wouldn't struggle for investment either.

I guess a lot of that has been historically cannibalised and dominated by Leeds, but still. You look at half the clubs we're playing at this level and on paper York wouldn't seem out of place. 

You bring a great point up - York have traditionally played in the lower leagues and as such the local populace have large contingents that support Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool (and a few other teams but not on the same scale). York if playing well could fill the stadium every week and it's a wonderful place to live so wouldn't struggle to attract players to the city. The new facilities are great 

20 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

You bring a great point up - York have traditionally played in the lower leagues and as such the local populace have large contingents that support Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool (and a few other teams but not on the same scale). York if playing well could fill the stadium every week and it's a wonderful place to live so wouldn't struggle to attract players to the city. The new facilities are great 

It's on my to-do list to. From where I live, it's nearly as quick to get to Monks Cross as it is to get to Hillsborough. Seen where the ground is but not caught a game yet there.

I do very loosely follow York from afar. Get the impression they're a club that just need some positivity and momentum and to get themselves the hell out of the Vanarama North. 

• Like 1

Never saw Wednesday at Bootham Crecent.

Saw York v Luton Town there a few years ago - I think it was probably the year that York dropped out of League Two into the Conference.

Luton are now a mid table Chanpionship club - York are in the Northern Conference ( or whatever it’s called now )

The two clubs have  clearly gone on opposite paths over the last few years  - but that’s the ups and downs of football, I suppose 

21 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

It's on my to-do list to. From where I live, it's nearly as quick to get to Monks Cross as it is to get to Hillsborough. Seen where the ground is but not caught a game yet there.

I do very loosely follow York from afar. Get the impression they're a club that just need some positivity and momentum and to get themselves the hell out of the Vanarama North. 

I take the lad every week to the academy but haven't been in the stadium yet. I think if the players are motivated enough they should get promoted - that sounds familiar!

I live in York, a 5 minute walk from Bootham Crescent.

I very much consider them my 2nd team and will often go if I'm not watching Wednesday.

Bootham Crescent was a great ground with a really good atmosphere. Being located fairly close to town was such a big selling point with people easily being able to walk.

The new stadium is a nice facility but in an inconvenient out of town location, with poor transport links. As is often the case with new builds there isn't much atmosphere not helped by the fact it's usually only a third full.

Sadly as a club they have been mismanaged even more than Wednesdsy have. As a minimum they should be a league 2 club but there is little to suggest they can get out of National League North in the near future. This despite them being the only professional club in a part time league.

Sorry to see it go but it was a bit of a dump.

My first memory was 1967 when I popped in on way to a holiday in Scarborough, to see a fourth division game v Workington.  It was so dire that I left at halftime with the score 0-0.

Main memory is the 1974-5 relegation season.  We took thousands that night but got thrashed 3-0 by a very good York side.  Barry Swallow etc.

Also got my first look at Chris Brunt in a preseason game there.  Decided, after watching him take a free kick that he'd go on to greater things.

Final memory is the preseason friendly about 7 years back. A McGugan goal gave us an undeserved 1-1 draw I seem to remember.  Walking back into York, the main road was blocked by Wednesdayites surrounding a big black car and chanting. Chansiri was in it.  He got out and greeted the fans.  Think he'd be scared to now.   

I also saw a 2nd div game there in 1975-6.   York 2 Chelsea 2.   Yes, they held the future European champs....and nearly won it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

I live in York, a 5 minute walk from Bootham Crescent.

I very much consider them my 2nd team and will often go if I'm not watching Wednesday.

Bootham Crescent was a great ground with a really good atmosphere. Being located fairly close to town was such a big selling point with people easily being able to walk.

The new stadium is a nice facility but in an inconvenient out of town location, with poor transport links. As is often the case with new builds there isn't much atmosphere not helped by the fact it's usually only a third full.

Sadly as a club they have been mismanaged even more than Wednesdsy have. As a minimum they should be a league 2 club but there is little to suggest they can get out of National League North in the near future. This despite them being the only professional club in a part time league.

I know quite a few people who live in York, some are ‘natives’ and some are people who have moved there but the story always seems to mirror yours. Everyone supports other teams with York City a bit of an afterthought. York is a good sized and affluent city so you’d think they do a bit better but no one seems to care that much. 

I do know House Prices in York are astronomical, particularly in areas close to the station, so I’m not surprised Bootham has been sold. 

Are there any bigger towns or cities with a club in a lower division? Can only think of Slough as another contender…

One of my favourite cities York. Lost count of the amount of times I've been for various reasons. 

I actually played there for Yorkshire boys in the mid 80s. I remember the relatively small changing rooms but the pitch was great. 

Despite all the times I've been I've never actually seen Wednesday play there apart from s reserve game in the mid 90's.

Beautiful city and a shame what's happened to the football club and another old ground. 

• Like 1

I was at the two pre-season games we played there in recent years, it essentially felt like the club indulging fans with a summer treat when we got a pre-season game in York.

Bootham Crescent itself was pretty ramshackle but as the cliché goes that was part of the charm. The away end must have been grim in the rain but the sun could cause problems too, those crush barriers ended up being hot enough to burn your arms if you leaned on them in sunlight. Also remember someone climbing on the roof of the cantine and promptly falling through it. Both trips were just great fun.

I went for a look myself a couple of months ago when I was in York, very sad to see it cold and empty. I'll probably end up visiting the new ground with Bradford PA at some point but have to say it looks rubbish, not a patch on the old one.

I remember the game in the picture, think we won 2-0 with Chris Maguire scoring an outrageous goal from about 35 yards?

Went there about 5 times , two in the league 74/75 and 76/77, first one Wednesday were shocking losing 3-0 but in 77 we were a much better side and won comfortably 2-0.

The other 3 times were all pre season friendlies , won them all .

Great little ground as many have said and it's very sad it's going to be wiped away as it is any football ground.