Bootham Crescent memories

27 minutes ago, suffering_owl said:

I'm York born n bred and in my youth attended York games home and away in the late 80's.

This all changed in 1990 on my mates birthday. His dad decided to take a few of us to Hillsborough to watch the 4-2 defeat to Spurs, Gary Lineker scored twice.

Even though we lost that day, I felt like I'd attended my first "proper" football match. The atmosphere standing on the old Kop, bouncing, swaying back and forth and singing like a lunatic got me hooked. I've been an Owl ever since.

This afternoon I paid one final visit to Bootham Crescent before it's bulldozed to make way for a new housing development.

On my way out I picked up this pre kick off framed photo that has been hanging somewhere in Bootham Cresent from our pre-season friendly in 2015. 

Mods - If this is the wrong section please move 😀

20211128_185606.thumb.jpg.ceeba5f5cbb8edcc1030c2cdcbcd76b2.jpg

Was the 'lino' on the right holding the roof up?

• Haha 2

Been a few times, enjoyed it for the most part especially going with Scarborough fc. Remember one time a ball boy ran on the pitch and booted the ball away and Boro captain Neil redfearn giving him both barrels. Always had a few bricks thrown through the coach window on way to and from the ground.

51 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Remember going to York for pre season game a few years ago now. Don't think it  was the one from the framed photo.

What I would describe as a proper old football ground. Top day out around York before the game as well.

Think I might have gone to that same one that you’re on about circa 2003 ish? Went for a great curry next to the river after... near the pub that always floods? King’s Head is it?

3 minutes ago, Jim Wonk said:

Think I might have gone to that same one that you’re on about circa 2003 ish? Went for a great curry next to the river after... near the pub that always floods? King’s Head is it?

Kings Arms. And there’s The Lowther round the corner.

Yeah my Dad is a York fan and similar to OP I was drawn to the big match atmosphere at S6 in the promotion season in 90-91. Went to loads of games including the league cup nights where they knocked out Man Utd and everton in consecutive years I think? 

Remember Chris brunt scoring in a pre season win, was it 2-1 circa 2004? 

Love York. Great city

Had a weekend there earlier this year

Went to Monks Cross and saw the new stadium . Soulless 

So during our stay in York itself while the mrs was shopping I had a wonder up to Bootham. Sad really seeing the old derelict stadium

I don’t think Wednesday/ York paths have crossed that much in my time. Not in a meaningful way anyway

Remember the Houchen and Walwyn being very good for them and of course Steve Watson is manager now

Took a quick pic of the ground 
Rubbish shot mind!56512541-97DC-49C2-A00D-B2D2FBABC1D2.jpeg.e371e1b2d7bb16d3848d65fa2e7d1354.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2