Shodipo

1 hour ago, Paul.. said:

He's not been my man of the match in any.

Started 3 games and been subbed off every time, says it all.

Think it says as much about Moore, he hasn't got any idea what his best team and formation is.

Shodipo has had one average games, one poor game and one good game, he was overwhelmingly our man of the match on here against Shrewsbury. 

Maybe give him the chance to have a run in the side rather than playing midfielders and strikers on the wing and we might be more cohesive. 

On 11/10/2021 at 12:22, Ian said:

But eye gouging, biting and fake blood still goes on

Rugby fans taking the moral high ground makes my p.ss boil

The only reason they dont argue with the ref is because the rules are that complicated that they haven't a clue what to argue for or against

I’m a football fan, every other sport comes a distant 2nd. All sports have their issues but if there’s something good in it that we can emulate then why not. I’m certainly not taking any high ground, but let’s be fair even the simple football rules can be hard to follow at times, look at all the VAR issues, such as Mbappe’s offside goal at the weekend

20 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

You do realize that EVERY team does this right?

Yes. All teams will have players in the ref's ear. It can sway some refs but for the most part it works against them. Prime example was Pearson when at Preston. Got booked or sent off more than anyone else, sometimes through reputation rather than actions.

Similar with Forestieri - not a moaner but his reputation stopped him getting some key decisions. 

Personally I don't like to see the shenanigans of Patterson and petulance of Bannan - Bannan is  class player  and Patterson a workhorse, so neither need to spoil the professionalism, and I don't see it helping the team get referees decisions.

20 hours ago, sage owl said:

I think I got the gist of it right though.

What we could actually do with is more players in the referees ear !.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it works against us on balance, particularly this season as we'll be seen as big time Charlies by refs.

19 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I’m a football fan, every other sport comes a distant 2nd. All sports have their issues but if there’s something good in it that we can emulate then why not. I’m certainly not taking any high ground, but let’s be fair even the simple football rules can be hard to follow at times, look at all the VAR issues, such as Mbappe’s offside goal at the weekend

Thought that one (and the rule) is straight forward 

13 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

The last two home games he's been shybo he should have been subed off at halftime against Oxford, i don't think he's that good tbh. 

He had a decent season last season… he’s got a bit of pace but that’s no good if we play negatively. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Think it says as much about Moore, he hasn't got any idea what his best team and formation is.

Shodipo has had one average games, one poor game and one good game, he was overwhelmingly our man of the match on here against Shrewsbury. 

Maybe give him the chance to have a run in the side rather than playing midfielders and strikers on the wing and we might be more cohesive. 

Which was his average game ? 

21 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Which was his average game ? 

Ipswich away, he wasn't great but no worse than anyone else and we were winning the game when Moore decided to replace him with a central midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Did that midfielder distract BPF ?

It was obviously an individual error that cost us that day, but the negative approach, which which persists is not helping in general.

We are among the lowest scorers and lowest shots on goal in the league for a reason. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
33 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ipswich away, he wasn't great but no worse than anyone else and we were winning the game when Moore decided to replace him with a central midfielder. 

“Replaced” did you say! 🙂

yeah fair enough.

I just haven’t seen enough to think he deserves to start over some of the other lads at the moment personally. 

On 10/10/2021 at 08:40, 4evaowl said:

Patterson (and Bannan for that matter) are the problem when it comes to referees. EVERY game they berate them from start to finish and pretty much every game they have to be spoken to by the refs to calm down.

If I was a ref they would get nothing from me, certainly not any borderline decisions.

Prime example was yesterday when Patterson was injured off the pitch then walked back on and went to ground. Pathetic. How on earth does he think the ref is going to be towards the team after that nonsense. He should have booked him and if I were the manager I’d be stamping out this pantomime villain stuff immediately or he wouldn’t play. He and Bannan need to cut out this harassment of refs. I for one are fed up of seeing it as it works against us.

Im glad they act how they do, the standard of refs in England is absolutely dire. The more players show frustration the more likely we are to get change. 

The comments Warnock made a few weeks ago around Football refs putting on a mic and addressing the crowd after big decisions like they do in Rugby/NFL, you would never ever see in football. Despite there being a 4th official, referee, 2 linesmen and whoever else supporting them they still continue to get match deciding decisions wrong. It’s a massive problem and it needs fixing, hopefully VAR will soon bring this to an end though. 

One of the reasons why I’ve grown tired of football to a degree. The decisions like a red card, penalty etc are absolutely critical to a game and teams success over a season. There is so much at stake here for all parties involved fans, players, owners….and week in week out the horrendous officiating across the football league is just brushed under the rug. 

19 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Im glad they act how they do, the standard of refs in England is absolutely dire. The more players show frustration the more likely we are to get change. 

The comments Warnock made a few weeks ago around Football refs putting on a mic and addressing the crowd after big decisions like they do in Rugby/NFL, you would never ever see in football. Despite there being a 4th official, referee, 2 linesmen and whoever else supporting them they still continue to get match deciding decisions wrong. It’s a massive problem and it needs fixing, hopefully VAR will soon bring this to an end though. 

One of the reasons why I’ve grown tired of football to a degree. The decisions like a red card, penalty etc are absolutely critical to a game and teams success over a season. There is so much at stake here for all parties involved fans, players, owners….and week in week out the horrendous officiating across the football league is just brushed under the rug. 

I watched a bit of rugby yesterday, tge ref made a disputed call.

The captain asked the ref in a reasonable manner why it was called against them not for, the ref replied "yes, it was an infringement, however, I'm calling the penalty against you for collapsing just before." The captain said thanks, and play carried on.

Everybody happy, the ref on a mike so the fans are happy. They still get it wrong a lot, but nobody gets upset as everyone understands their decisions, and the refs are respected.

The big thing is that if the ref doesn't see something, they'll outright admit they didn't and not try to bluff it away like many football refs do.

23 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

“Replaced” did you say! 🙂

yeah fair enough.

I just haven’t seen enough to think he deserves to start over some of the other lads at the moment personally. 

Fair enough, he has by no means made himself a cert to play. I just think if we are going to persist with a 1-striker and 2 wide player formation then we should pick actual wide attacking players in the wide attacking positions rather than shoehorn others in position that don't suit them. 

On 14/10/2021 at 09:47, Tewkesbury said:

I watched a bit of rugby yesterday, tge ref made a disputed call.

The captain asked the ref in a reasonable manner why it was called against them not for, the ref replied "yes, it was an infringement, however, I'm calling the penalty against you for collapsing just before." The captain said thanks, and play carried on.

Everybody happy, the ref on a mike so the fans are happy. They still get it wrong a lot, but nobody gets upset as everyone understands their decisions, and the refs are respected.

The big thing is that if the ref doesn't see something, they'll outright admit they didn't and not try to bluff it away like many football refs do.

Good points. Also, micing the refs would also expose or cut out the players' behavior of intimidation and verbal harassment. Some posters in this thread almost ignore or condone what they do.

6 minutes ago, Animis said:

Good points. Also, micing the refs would also expose or cut out the players' behavior of intimidation and verbal harassment. Some posters in this thread almost ignore or condone what they do.

The original argument against VAR was that it would slow the game down. The players arguing with the ref still adds minuted to a game.

Football refs don't get the respect that rugby refs get, if they did the arguing wouldn't happen. Refs don't help themselves though, they seem to try to cover mistakes instead of addressing them.

The thing about the example above was that while the captain questioned the ref, the rest of the players got ready for the next scrum and as soon as the ref was back they were straight into it.

Even the VAR refs in rugby have mics. A simple "we don't have the angle to make a decision, the on field decision stands" goes so far in increasing respect and belief in fans that they're making the right decision.