Passing Out From The Back

Guest mrbluesky

It’s the perfect storm

Players that aren’t capable 

Manager unable to address it

YOU CAN NOT PLAY OUT FROM THE BACK WHEN YOUR PLAYERS ARE STAGNANT 

It only works if you do this as a team, we do not, you have to ask yourself after this many games, does the manager trust the players and vice versa.

32 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

9 times out of 10 when we kick it forward we lose the ball.

Much rather us keep the ball and then pick the time to go forward. Much better than aimless lumps the crowd seem to want.

I think it's the balance that people want. 

There's purposeful, probing possession and keep hold of the ball for the sake of it in risky, dangerous areas that the players aren't comfortable with.

I don't think anyone is advocating route one.

54 minutes ago, Shadowl said:

Okay so I maybe a bit simple... Isn't the point you definitely retain the ball if you pass out from the back against hoofing it down field for, as our keepers kicking over the last few years would suggest isn't even, a fifty fifty?

Saying we haven't got the players to do it suggests our players are so crap they can't even play football.

Again, it may just me being thick, but if you can't play in your own half what's the point of playing in theirs? Remember Browns corner??? We can concede from anywhere. So it's no advantage hoofing it down field to lose the ball.

You can take risks higher up the pitch...calculated ones that don't immediately threaten...do it from the back where you have players who aren't as comfortable on the ball and it costs you.

An attempted blind flick to put a forward through from higher up the pitch is fair enough...we play 50/50 balls and blind passes from the back 4 just outside our area...Its not working.

On top of that we do it "ever so slowly"..Keeper holds the ball two defenders in our own box make themselves available...he takes his time..picks one to throw it to...and the opposition ALREADY know whats happening....I don't mind mixing and matching it..but ALL the time???....Nah...simply makes me as nervous watching it... as Gibson looked doing it

10 hours ago, fatzooma said:

We did In 2012. 
Either way you’ve got to be positive and up for a physical challenge in this  league...The key is getting up top as quick as possible and getting the ball into the opposite box as many times as you can. The steady build up play isn’t working and is never going to. Play to you strengths and abilities.

are you happy with how we are playing? I’d sooner see us put  teams under pressure.

utd went up by playing high tempo football that was in some ways direct but relied ultimately on fitness...Different ways of interpreting percentage play. 
passing it around the back isn’t that.

See your post on is in 2012. I think that we went up because we had a set way of playing and everyone knew what they were doing, not necessarily  because we were direct.

I am happy that we are trying to keep the ball but agree that it needs tweaking 

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think it's the balance that people want. 

There's purposeful, probing possession and keep hold of the ball for the sake of it in risky, dangerous areas that the players aren't comfortable with.

I don't think anyone is advocating route one.

You don't hear the shots on the kop them.

Gerrit forrad!! Every time one of our defenders has the ball. Usually a regular of the punt and run generation too I must add.

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

You can take risks higher up the pitch...calculated ones that don't immediately threaten...do it from the back where you have players who aren't as comfortable on the ball and it costs you.

An attempted blind flick to put a forward through from higher up the pitch is fair enough...we play 50/50 balls and blind passes from the back 4 just outside our area...Its not working.

On top of that we do it "ever so slowly"..Keeper holds the ball two defenders in our own box make themselves available...he takes his time..picks one to throw it to...and the opposition ALREADY know whats happening....I don't mind mixing and matching it..but ALL the time???....Nah...simply makes me as nervous watching it... as Gibson looked doing it

I have accepted we aren't Man City, this is League 1, it's gonna be scary playing from the back. We may as well learn and built a team who can tho for the future. It's the modern game. Chucking it forward because we are in this league is akin to buying old last payday players in the championship. 

I hate the comparison but the team from across the city, I won't name them (spit spit), built on a style of football that rocketed them up the league's (admittedly got found out, which we all enjoyed) but having a modern culture helped them. I hope this is what Moore is trying to install with us.

So in a sense it's not about getting out of this league it's about building a squad and ethos that is capable of competing in a modern style of football.

• Thanks 1

I think a possession based game is fine. Our problem is we are far too slow passing it and the midfield just does not show. I don’t think it’s working but yesterday’s formation made it virtually impossible.

What is way more frustrating is the lack of press (and frankly effort and energy) from us against the opposition. If Bolton had given us the time and space to pass it about that we gave them then everyone would say how great our possession football was. No idea why we didn’t close them down. It’s League one put a defender under pressure and he will either hoof it or give away a goal scoring opportunity. Berahino was doing my head in. When Gregory and Patterson pressed second half, he was 20 yards away allowing them an easy out ball every time…

• Like 1

On 09/10/2021 at 19:54, Ronio said:

I really don't like it.  

Doesn't make sense to me whatsoever.  

Lets looks at the worst passers at the club, i.e. keepers and defenders, then expect them to pass the ball around.

I always believe that a defenders primary job is to defend, win tackles and win headers.  That is their job.  To then expect them to pass the ball around like a midfielder would, that is not football to me.  

As soon as we got the ball up the pitch, we quickly found more possession in more advanced positions.  A more direct approach surely is the way forward.  

This passing it around the back is anti football imo.  Fans don't pay to watch the keeper and defense pass it about like a training match.  

It's ok if you have players to do it for example Bolton did it really well vat times yesterday but you could tell they were much better drilled at how they wanted to play