Passing Out From The Back

Players lose possession and misplace passes at this level all over the pitch.

Why you would choose to let your League 1 team risk this on or inside your 18 yard line is just suicide and catastrophic when you don’t have a midfield to speak of.

• Like 6

Just now, clud17 said:

Its the same as constantly passing back. ffs have a go and if it doesn't work you lose the ball up the pitch rather than in our half. 

You are not wrong.  

We passed the ball back so many times, I lost count.

One of our better attacks literally ended up with the ball right back to our keeper, back to square one from an advanced attacking position. 

• Like 1

Great irony in today’s game that we allowed Bolton to play out from the keeper to halfway virtually unchallenged, after weeks of seeing us pressed onto the edge of our own box when doing the same. Something which has cost us goals too.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I really don't like it.  

Doesn't make sense to me whatsoever.  

Lets looks at the worst passers at the club, i.e. keepers and defenders, then expect them to pass the ball around.

I always believe that a defenders primary job is to defend, win tackles and win headers.  That is their job.  To then expect them to pass the ball around like a midfielder would, that is not football to me.  

As soon as we got the ball up the pitch, we quickly found more possession in more advanced positions.  A more direct approach surely is the way forward.  

This passing it around the back is anti football imo.  Fans don't pay to watch the keeper and defense pass it about like a training match.  

Alright for City that can buy a keeper that could probably play outfield. Not for league 1

• Like 2

Play it out from the back ... kick it long .. means nowt if we don't have a midfield that knows what's it's doing and with someone who can control the game...whatever division we're in. 

We don't have a caption or midfield 2 that can command and demand the ball. Until that happens we will languish in a pile of smelly dogsheite mediocrity in L1 

25 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I really don't like it.  

Doesn't make sense to me whatsoever.  

Lets looks at the worst passers at the club, i.e. keepers and defenders, then expect them to pass the ball around.

I always believe that a defenders primary job is to defend, win tackles and win headers.  That is their job.  To then expect them to pass the ball around like a midfielder would, that is not football to me.  

As soon as we got the ball up the pitch, we quickly found more possession in more advanced positions.  A more direct approach surely is the way forward.  

This passing it around the back is anti football imo.  Fans don't pay to watch the keeper and defense pass it about like a training match.  

I will add to this, fans want to see their keepers make world class saves.  

They also want to see their defenders win the ball, and put in crunching tackles, last ditch blocks or even get on the end of a set piece as all our central defenders should be. Not passing the ball around like they are Xavi.  

Let players be who they are, use their strengths accordingly.  Not try to shoehorn a particular player into a narrowly defined role.

Release the shackles.  

Total direct attacking football.  Give  the fans what they want.  

Imagine playing against Wednesday? We pass out the back like we take our throw ins. Slow and cumbersome.

Nothing wrong with playing out from the back but do it quickly and precisely with movement ahead.

We play it to Dunkley or Iorfa who was both technically garbage with the ball and they just look bereft of any idea and in the end either kick the ball out or play it to Bannan who has 8 men on him.

You don’t need to be playing out from the back in League 1. 

Any decent team will beat us this season with a high press.

• Like 4

Under Pulis we just lumped it, now we pass it around 5 times, then just lump it. Same result, just takes longer. Stop trying to emulate the best teams in the country/world, who study and have the players to beat a press, and play to your standard

• Like 1

All it does is opens the door to be put under pressure and lose possession in a dangerous area 

I’ve never seen any positive attack come from it 

we do not have a bad squad at all or bad players but we are making them look average at best 

dunkley and iorfa are not ball playing defenders like Tom Lee’s wasn’t played right they are arguable one of the best centre back pairings in this league 

let the defend FFS and get the ball to the offensive players it’s not rocket science 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

Great irony in today’s game that we allowed Bolton to play out from the keeper to halfway virtually unchallenged, after weeks of seeing us pressed onto the edge of our own box when doing the same. Something which has cost us goals too.

it happens every game.

We sit back and watch teams play it out.

Whilst we let the same team high press us.

I really don’t think Moore [or anyone in that dugout] can see it, or else someone would have done something about it by now.

Bolton only lost that game today because they weren’t as clinical as us, despite us presenting them with enough opportunities to do so and that is saying something.

DM does not learn. The team have been making the same mistakes since the start of the season.

Talk about playing to your weaknesses rather than your strengths…

• Like 2

We don’t even play out from the back. We play back from the back. 

The amount of times it ends up back at the keeper just pelting up under pressure to me suggests clear as day the players we have aren’t people can play out.

So if 80% of the time it’s resulting in going long  regardless then why don’t we just set up higher up the field for second balls and just let the keeper hit the front. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 0114 said:

We don’t even play out from the back. We play back from the back. 

The amount of times it ends up back at the keeper just pelting up under pressure to me suggests clear as day the players we have aren’t people can play out.

So if 80% of the time it’s resulting in going long  regardless then why don’t we just set up higher up the field for second balls and just let the keeper hit the front. 

True. So many managers don’t obey a golden rule…play to your strengths, don’t expose your weaknesses which the opposition will quickly exploit. 
Teams need at least one footballer at the back to be able to ‘faff’ about effectively. This player has to be good with the ball at their feet and be able to find space to receive it and give it effectively.

The Bobby Moore’s and  Frank Beckenbauers of this world could also carry the ball beyond the halfway line to threaten the opposition and then play a killer pass,  Harry Maguire has done this for England occasionally and possibly for Dem Blunts an all. However, Dunkley, Iorfa et al are not on the same planet as the aforementioned, so it becomes suicidal to even dream of doing it.

I don’t have any philosophical problem with playing out from the back. But our squad aren’t any good at it! Bolton looked most dangerous today when we had the ball!

Hit the channels now and again with early balls before the opponents are set and get a cross in. 
Worked for the goal today…

• Like 1

Moore is massively over complicated things…we genuinely don’t have the players to do this, and persisting with this facade will cost us countless goals and points this year

Edited by Django
  • Like 1