Severance

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They don't

It's what Chansiri offered him in the contract he gave him

Oh right.. I read it as all players receive money for July irrespective of the contract ending in June. Didn’t realise it was something that muppet had allowed to be inserted in as a clause

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, Mcguigan said:

Outstanding holiday pay?

They usually make you take your holidays when on notice as you’d just be sacking it off anyway. 

Guest Mcguigan
1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Oh right.. I read it as all players receive money for July irrespective of the contract ending in June. Didn’t realise it was something that muppet had allowed to be inserted in as a clause

It happens at most clubs, if not all.

Guest Mcguigan

They usually make you take your holidays when on notice as you’d just be sacking it off anyway. 

No no no. You work your notice or you’re on gardening leave. Your holidays are a legal entitlement, shouldn’t be anything to do with notice.

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, Mcguigan said:

No no no. You work your notice or you’re on gardening leave. Your holidays are a legal entitlement, shouldn’t be anything to do with notice.

Erm yes yes yes? An employer can 100% make you take outstanding holiday during your notice period.

Otherwise everybody would just not book any holiday when they know they’re leaving, and then just sit there doing nothing during their notice period.

17 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Erm yes yes yes? An employer can 100% make you take outstanding holiday during your notice period.

Otherwise everybody would just not book any holiday when they know they’re leaving, and then just sit there doing nothing during their notice period.

From Citizens Advice

However, employees are entitled to an annual leave payout on resignation. And it is important to note that while an employee can take annual leave and sick leave during their notice period (within reason), it is illegal for an employer to force an employee to take leave as part of the notice period.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, the third man said:

From Citizens Advice

However, employees are entitled to an annual leave payout on resignation. And it is important to note that while an employee can take annual leave and sick leave during their notice period (within reason), it is illegal for an employer to force an employee to take leave as part of the notice period.

I know people who’ve been told they have to take it. I mean, let’s say holidays are 25 days, that’s 5 weeks and about 10% of a year. Also not unusual for notice periods to be anywhere from 1 to 6 months. Let’s say it’s 3 months.

You hand your notice in, telling them you’re leaving in 3 months. By that reckoning you’d be able to not take any holiday at all and then demand a 10% uplift to your pay for duration of the notice period in lieu of the holiday.

The decision to leave lies with the employee, so why should the employer be more out of pocket financially than if the employee wasn’t leaving at all.

I suspect that the citizens advice piece relates to forcing unpaid leave on people as opposed to asking them to take their holiday requirement.

Guest LondonOwl313

I know people who’ve been told they have to take it. I mean, let’s say holidays are 25 days, that’s 5 weeks and about 10% of a year. Also not unusual for notice periods to be anywhere from 1 to 6 months. Let’s say it’s 3 months.

You hand your notice in, telling them you’re leaving in 3 months. By that reckoning you’d be able to not take any holiday at all and then demand a 10% uplift to your pay for duration of the notice period in lieu of the holiday.

The decision to leave lies with the employee, so why should the employer be more out of pocket financially than if the employee wasn’t leaving at all.

I suspect that the citizens advice piece relates to forcing unpaid leave on people as opposed to asking them to take their holiday requirement.

Would also say there are some companies who say you have to use your holidays within a certain period or lose them. You don’t get paid extra if you don’t use them.

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

No it states for employees and paid leave

it is illegal for an employer to force an employee to take leave as part of the notice period.

That's it, if anyone you know has been forced to take leave, they need to report the company, as it is illegal, and they would be due compensation

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, the third man said:

No it states for employees and paid leave

it is illegal for an employer to force an employee to take leave as part of the notice period.

That's it, if anyone you know has been forced to take leave, they need to report the company, as it is illegal, and they would be due compensation

I have a hard time believing that’s the case.. because I know companies and councils actually, so both public and private sector, where you have to use your holiday by the end of the holiday year, or you can only carry over a certain number of days. Anything beyond that you’d lose.

Doesn’t make sense for employees

who are on their notice period to have their holiday given some sort of special status which they wouldn’t have had they not handed the notice in. 

Pretty sure you couldn’t demand that your employer pay you cash in lieu of all your holidays when on notice, which is effectively what that’s saying. Not unless it was written that way in your contract

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I thought it was a standard condition PFA forced all clubs to adopt.

Not sure this one just down to Chansiri.

19 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Pretty sure you couldn’t demand that your employer pay you cash in lieu of all your holidays when on notice, which is effectively what that’s saying. Not unless it was written that way in your contract

You can, i have been paid for untaken holidays from the last two jobs i have left, so that definitely happens

• Like 1

Guest Manwithastick
25 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I have a hard time believing that’s the case.. because I know companies and councils actually, so both public and private sector, where you have to use your holiday by the end of the holiday year, or you can only carry over a certain number of days. Anything beyond that you’d lose.

Doesn’t make sense for employees

who are on their notice period to have their holiday given some sort of special status which they wouldn’t have had they not handed the notice in. 

(Not for the first time, nor, no doubt, the last) you're wrong. If you are working your notice period, or at home on garden leave for the length of your notice period, or even if you are paid in lieu of your notice period (as happened to me in summer 2020 when I took redundancy) you have to be paid additionally for any holidays accrued and owing up until the last day of your notice period on a pro rata basis. You cannot be forced to take them during that notice period or have their value knocked off your final pay. 

The requirement to take your holidays during a set 12 month period is completely separate. Use them or lose them. Some companies will allow you to roll over at their own discretion. 

9 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Another little tweet to stir the pot Joe and get those clicks up. 

I'd hardly describe explaining the rules (which apply to all clubs, not just something Clueless did) as "stirring the pot".

Apparently this rule has been in force for a long time (if someone could advise when it was introduced would be grateful) so just during the course of Clueless's tenure has probably cost us another million or so due to our policy of not actually selling anyone!

Small wonder our losses are so astronomical!

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

(Not for the first time, nor, no doubt, the last) you're wrong. If you are working your notice period, or at home on garden leave for the length of your notice period, or even if you are paid in lieu of your notice period (as happened to me in summer 2020 when I took redundancy) you have to be paid additionally for any holidays accrued and owing up until the last day of your notice period on a pro rata basis. You cannot be forced to take them during that notice period or have their value knocked off your final pay. 

The requirement to take your holidays during a set 12 month period is completely separate. Use them or lose them. Some companies will allow you to roll over at their own discretion. 

I mean, it was a debate where people were disagreeing but making points, which is fine. But when someone writes in a tone like the above highlighted you know they’re a bit of a ****** just trying to get a reaction which is sad. 

Can only go on my experience of it. Clearly other people have different experience. Probably does make a difference depending on the specific terms of a contract or the industry you’re in.

As I said, does rather much sound like giving holidays special status while

on notice period which they otherwise wouldn’t have. I’ve never suggested the holidays wouldn’t be honoured, just debating whether it’s logical an employee could choose to do no work on notice and refuse to take holidays too, therefore costing the employer even more.