Severance

57 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I know people who’ve been told they have to take it. I mean, let’s say holidays are 25 days, that’s 5 weeks and about 10% of a year. Also not unusual for notice periods to be anywhere from 1 to 6 months. Let’s say it’s 3 months.

You hand your notice in, telling them you’re leaving in 3 months. By that reckoning you’d be able to not take any holiday at all and then demand a 10% uplift to your pay for duration of the notice period in lieu of the holiday.

The decision to leave lies with the employee, so why should the employer be more out of pocket financially than if the employee wasn’t leaving at all.

I suspect that the citizens advice piece relates to forcing unpaid leave on people as opposed to asking them to take their holiday requirement.

I don't know where you work but I've never had such terms imposed on me.  Generally, for a day off, a week notice is fine.  For a week off, a months notice.  I've booked

Also, owed paid leave is worked out pro-rata, so if it's the start of the year, the employee will have little leave they can claim back.   If you have exactly half of the year left, then you'll get back exactly half of your typical entitlement (say 12.5 days), minus any you've already taken.  

The employer should pay for these because workers fought hard for such rights.

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I don't know where you work but I've never had such terms imposed on me.  Generally, for a day off, a week notice is fine.  For a week off, a months notice.  I've booked

Also, owed paid leave is worked out pro-rata, so if it's the start of the year, the employee will have little leave they can claim back.   If you have exactly half of the year left, then you'll get back exactly half of your typical entitlement (say 12.5 days), minus any you've already taken.  

The employer should pay for these because workers fought hard for such rights.

Yeah I agree with all of that.. my point is more with the 12.5 days, say you hand your notice in and you still have 4 days left to take, can they say please take that over the next few months of your notice period or can you demand they pay cash. If it’s the latter then it ends up costing the employer more than it would had the notice not been handed in. Maybe it depends what it says in the contract

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah I agree with all of that.. my point is more with the 12.5 days, say you hand your notice in and you still have 4 days left to take, can they say please take that over the next few months of your notice period or can you demand they pay cash. If it’s the latter then it ends up costing the employer more than it would had the notice not been handed in. Maybe it depends what it says in the contract

It hasn’t cost the employer anymore. If the employee works rather than taking holiday due then the employer has had the benefit of a days work and the employee gets the benefit of a days pay. 

Guest Hornsby
14 hours ago, Grandad said:

And why pre-contract agreements are popular

But not possible for those on long term contracts we need to get shut.

Will be paying Baz £27,000 a week net until 5 mins before transfer window closes this term.

Say £500,000 gross for Summer holidays.

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They don't

It's what Chansiri offered him in the contract he gave him

? its the EFL that dictates the payment isn't it mate? nothing to do with the chairman(other than the obvious not selling so it doesn't apply?)

15 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

its nothing to do with the employer, it is in employment law, your employer has got to pay you what they owe you when you leave, likewise if you have taken more holiday than you were entitled to they can reclaim the extra money you have been paid

listen to what every else is telling you about this, or research it your self

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, the third man said:

its nothing to do with the employer, it is in employment law, your employer has got to pay you what they owe you when you leave, likewise if you have taken more holiday than you were entitled to they can reclaim the extra money you have been paid

listen to what every else is telling you about this, or research it your self

https://www.breathehr.com/en-gb/blog/topic/leave/employees-taking-annual-leave-in-notice-period-what-to-do

This says the employer can force you to take your remaining leave as long as they give you notice. Pretty much as expected given what I’ve seen happen at various companies. Have a hard time believing multiple companies would flout the law on this so I knew it would be right.

Guest Mcguigan

Iv'e never, in all my years of employment, known a company demand an employee to use their remaining holidays during a notice period.

Pointless even doing it.

Example of would normally happen in that situation to ensure employee gets full pay.

Employee given a months notice and employer asked them to work two weeks and take the remaining two as holiday allocation. 4 weeks full pay.

Employee works two weeks, has two weeks off with stress/back pain related issues and get two weeks holiday paid up. 6 weeks full pay.

5 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Will be paying Baz £27,000 a week net until 5 mins before transfer window closes this term.

Bannan needs to leave ASAP. We cannot pay a player that ridiculous amount in league one. 

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Iv'e never, in all my years of employment, known a company demand an employee to use their remaining holidays during a notice period.

Pointless even doing it.

Example of would normally happen in that situation to ensure employee gets full pay.

Employee given a months notice and employer asked them to work two weeks and take the remaining two as holiday allocation. 4 weeks full pay.

Employee works two weeks, has two weeks off with stress/back pain related issues and get two weeks holiday paid up. 6 weeks full pay.

I won’t comment on this again because I’m sure everyone is bored sh*tless of this now, and it’s taken the thread way off track.

Will have to agree to disagree.. I mean, most of the time a quick conversation between employee and manager would result in agreement 90% of the time. And a lot of folks would want to take their holiday anyway. But on the specifics of what happens if there’s no agreement I don’t think it’s clear cut.. as that blog says, the employer has to treat you fairly. Pretty sure a tribunal would look for equity between employee and employer, I’m sure there are some circumstances where they can request that you take it as leave and others where it’s reasonable that you don’t work any and are paid instead. Will depend on the industry and the specifics of the contract. I work in banking and know that’s how it’s done here.

Anyway, to get back on track.. the original post was because someone compared players being paid for July as being the equivalent of holiday pay. I don’t think it is like that at all, because they don’t have holidays, they’re like contractors more than they are employees. Still think it’s a bit of a joke they get paid an extra month and that’s a perk that’s nothing like other jobs 

Guest Hornsby
2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Bannan needs to leave ASAP. We cannot pay a player that ridiculous amount in league one. 

Question is , why the new contract.

Commissions all round.

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

Question is , why the new contract.

Commissions all round.

He should not have been offered a new contract until we knew what division we would be in next season. Utter stupidity. Instead chansiri committed himself to paying obscene wages for a third division player we simply cannot afford. 

It's this kind of incompience that got us in the position we now find ourselves in. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Another little tweet to stir the pot Joe and get those clicks up. 

So you don't think this is interesting or newsworthy then? 

I had people asking me about it, and I have the means to answer the question, so I thought I'd do that. My bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/06/2021 at 07:48, Hornsby said:

21 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Those numbers banded about by Biggs were at the time the contract was signed, I.e we were in the championship. Every player at the club has a relegation pay cut in their contract, yes including Bannan, so he won’t be on that next season. Now he will probably still be on a decent wedge but using the £27k is just misleading. 

59 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Those numbers banded about by Biggs were at the time the contract was signed, I.e we were in the championship. Every player at the club has a relegation pay cut in their contract, yes including Bannan, so he won’t be on that next season. Now he will probably still be on a decent wedge but using the £27k is just misleading. 

Even if it’s a 50% reduction (which it won’t be) then it’s still a ridiculous wage for a third tier player.